Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-10, 01:13 PM   #1
davect
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Help me buy a boat PLEASE

Let me introduce myself. My name is Dave. I am 27 years old from Connecticut. I am as green as you can possibly be when it comes to boats. I know NOTHING about them. I fished all last year from the shore until in September when I bought a kayak. I installed a rod holder and took to the water. I really enjoyed it a lot but it was a pain to haul the kayak and take it off all the time. Plus it wasn't the most comfortable fishing experience. I am ready to get out on the water with more comfort. I want to be able to fish with someone and also fish by myself. I have never really fished a big lake because I don't have the boat for it LOL. I'm just confused on where to begin. I really want to get a boat that is comfortable, no chance of tipping, and can hold maybe 3 people max. What would you guys recommend to a newbie that is as green as the grass when it comes to this stuff??

Thank you in advance!
davect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 01:30 PM   #2
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Dave,
I would suggest joining a bass club where you can get the opportunity to fish with some guys who have boats. This way you can first, decide if you really want a boat with all the maintenance and costs that come associated with it. Second, get a feel for different boats of different sizes and layouts. Third, learn first hand how to safely operate the boat on the bodies of water you will fish. Of course you can read all day about how to run a boat, but nothing beats on-the-water experience.

As for the boat itself, I would recommend something small like a 16-17 aluminum. They are typically less expensive then the fiberglass rigs, easier to tow, better on gas, less maintenance, and a great way to learn boating. Everything I wrote was pretty basic. There are numerous articles on line that can help you better pinpoint what kind of boat you would like.

I run a G3 Eagle 165 with a 40Hp Yamaha and it is great. I take it in for motor service once a year and usually get my bearings redone at the same time. I highly recommend G3, but there are plenty of options out there. I am sure you will find something that suits you. Good luck.
Old 02-03-10, 01:38 PM   #3
davect
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the response. I was looking at the Alumacraft Fisherman 145 CS model. It's 14 ft 10 inches long and comes with a 25hp Yamaha engine with humminbird graph and trailer for $8195. It's tough.

What are the other expenses?? I will not be docking this boat. What are the expenses just so I get a ballpark figure of my monthly payments. Thanks a lot for your response man.
Old 02-03-10, 02:10 PM   #4
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

I would break maintenance into 2 categories, scheduled and unscheduled. As far as scheduled maintenance, I spend about $200 getting my engine tuned. I believe this includes getting new spark plugs, low-unit oil, fuel pump, water pump, etc. Just general stuff that can wear out. I believe that doing this keeps the engine performing at it's best. I also get my trailer bearings repacked about ever 2 years. Both the engine and trailer maintenance can be done on your own, but I rather just pay a professional to do it right the first time.

As far as unscheduled maintenance, well you never know what can go wrong. In my ex-boat, I had to replace the starter (few hundred bucks), the solenoid (few hundred bucks), the skeg twice (75$ each time), and the prop (100$). Essentially, anything that could go wrong went wrong. Eventually I just junked the boat and got a new one.

Then there are the other things that you might opt to change over time. I have replaced my trolling motor, added a bow mounted fish finder, upgraded the finder on the console, ungraded the aerator pump, and mounted a gps. Every other year it costs $25 to re-register the boat and $200 to renew my insurance. I go through about 2 gallons of oil a year ($50) and a thing of bearing of bearing grease about every 2 years ($8).

For a boat like you looking at, the costs are probably 50% less then if you got a 20' fiberglass with a 200hp motor. The complexity of those boats just adds to the maintenance costs. I didn't mean to scare you with the costs because on a boat like the one you are looking at, I think the costs will be minimal. I have just seen others with big boats spend a ton when the computer in the motor goes bad or the jack plate breaks or the electrical systems stops working....
Old 02-03-10, 03:00 PM   #5
davect
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow thanx a lot for the response man!! Really informative and thorough. About the $200 insurance is that just $200 for the year or is that per month?? Overall it doesn't seem to bad as far as the expenses go. I might want to just buy a new boat that I know nothing is wrong with from the start. I'm looking at the BassTracker Pro16 as well and that SEEMS like a great buy at 8K although I wouldn't really know. Thanks again for all the info I really appreciate it!
Old 02-03-10, 03:46 PM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davect View Post
Wow thanx a lot for the response man!! Really informative and thorough. About the $200 insurance is that just $200 for the year or is that per month?? Overall it doesn't seem to bad as far as the expenses go. I might want to just buy a new boat that I know nothing is wrong with from the start. I'm looking at the BassTracker Pro16 as well and that SEEMS like a great buy at 8K although I wouldn't really know. Thanks again for all the info I really appreciate it!
In your situation, I would not buy new. You can get A LOT of boat for 8K in the used department. Do it the same way you would buying a used car. Have someone (or a mechanic) come along with you to look things over before you buy. If it looks well maintained, it usually is. I believe I bought my first bass boat for $2500. It was an 18 ft Champion, with a 150 Mercury on the back - can't remember the model number. That was a tank! Wish I still had it, and probably shouldn't have sold it when I did.

Oh, and $200 is about right for 6 months of insurance. I believe mine is covered fully for around $25 a month.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 03:49 PM   #7
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

I wouldn't go out and buy a new 1, there are plenty of nice used boats out there. as far as the 200, that is 200 a year. he's just listing the small details, i have a 18 ftr and a 150 i fish 2 to 3 times a week and i go through 4 to 5 gals of oil (160) the gas about 56 gals a month, spark plugs 3 a pop for 6, boat launching fees, trailer maintenance, tires, list goes on and on, all in all its worth it if you like to fish. but look around good deals out there, don't rush it and take your time or else you will end up with a pile of poop
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 03:50 PM   #8
davect
BassFishin.Com Member

I think I can handle that! I would love to find a boat for around $2500 with trailer but I can't anywhere. I'll have to just keep looking or finding more websites to use. For some reason I'm really liking the flat decks with those swivel chairs on them. I don't know the right terms for these but that's what I'm looking for. Thanx for your suggestion!
Old 02-03-10, 04:15 PM   #9
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you've never really thought too much about boating - GO TO A MARINA!!!! Go to your local boat store - a Bass Pro Shops or something that sells boats. Talk with the sales guys and go to multiple stores. Find out if you have any boat shows in your area.

As much information you can get from the net it's all great but you won't know all the costs until you actually talk to somebody.

Also, a lot of dealers will have demo's. Take one out see how it rides and feels.

Best of all, good luck!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 04:31 PM   #10
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would highly suggest trying to hook up with someone who has been around boats and is willing to teach you the ropes...also, if you are going to spend 8200 on 14footer with a 25hp you will be kickin' yourself for not going with something used and a lot more engine...I'm not sayin go out and buy a 200+HP but atleast 60-90hp or those big lakes are going to feel like oceans...right now is a great time to buy; people are desperate to sell and there's a lot of inventory out there (recession). Be sure to check out http://www.boattrader.com/ , http://www.bassboatcentral.com/index.htm and http://www.craigslist.org/ Just be cautious about craigslist as it tends to attract a lot of fraud.
Old 02-03-10, 08:31 PM   #11
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Definitly go by local marinas. I remember when I was looking for a specific size motor for my small aluminum boat, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted, but little money. Didnt see what I wanted online...

So one day I drove to all 3 of the local marinas, and at the last one, was talking to the owner of the place and I told him what I was looking for, and he said "hell son, we have a 28 horse thats been laying in the corner over there for 3 years, guy said he wanted something like $250-300."

Beating the bushes always works eventually, just take your time and make connections and you will get set up right. The only way you can screw up the process is if you are hasty and jump in and pay too much or get something you dont really need.

Just sit back and watch craigslist for a little while, and you will start to get an idea of what comes up on the market, and go to your marinas and talk to friends. Take your time.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 09:27 PM   #12
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
I would highly suggest trying to hook up with someone who has been around boats and is willing to teach you the ropes...also, if you are going to spend 8200 on 14footer with a 25hp you will be kickin' yourself for not going with something used and a lot more engine...I'm not sayin go out and buy a 200+HP but atleast 60-90hp or those big lakes are going to feel like oceans...right now is a great time to buy; people are desperate to sell and there's a lot of inventory out there (recession). Be sure to check out http://www.boattrader.com/ , http://www.bassboatcentral.com/index.htm and http://www.craigslist.org/ Just be cautious about craigslist as it tends to attract a lot of fraud.

I love boattrader! bassboatcentral is really good too, I just wish you could specify categories to search.
Old 02-03-10, 10:33 PM   #13
Abbeysdad

I'm going to agree and disagree with what for the most part has been excellent advice here. I ditto the advice about a used boats, many are in excellent shape and sell for a song...well almost. My boat (2002 Glastron SX170 SF) was about $9k, but was in EXCELLENT condition and after a couple of minor rough spots I'm just loving it! .... and if I bought this boat new, it would be about $25k! But buyer beware...as I was looking at used boats I was amazed at the poor condition of many - it's seems some folks just don't keep them covered and the sun/weather can really take a toll!

Now obviously mine not a bass boat, but it fishes well and is a great boat for touring and family fun as well as fishing. I'll admit that it's heavier than those tin boats <grin>, but disagree that that it costs any more to maintain. The motor maintenance on my 90hp Merc is pretty much the same as any other motor so overall costs would seem to be about the same. As for big water, I have yet to put her in any of the great lakes, but I have had her in 3 of the finger lakes and Cayuga is a good sized lake.
But in the end, only you can decide the right boat for your use and whether it's just for fishing, or fishing and fun. I quite honestly wouldn't trade mine for a true bass boat - each to his own.
Again, agreeing with the others, find a mentor - ask around at work as someone you already know may have or had a boat and can help you with some of the zillion newbie questions you'll have. I had both a brother and a brother in-law that had boats before and were a help ... and of course there are the good folks here.

Btw, be sure and take a boater safety course. I know a lot of folks blow it off, but there's a learning curve to boating and the course gives you a leg up on the curve. Also, there's a boatload (pardon the pun) of stuff you'll need for the boat to be safe 'n legal - don't scrimp on safety - flares, flag, vests, fire extinguisher....
Old 02-04-10, 12:25 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum, Dave!

Great advice already. First, take your time. You can get a lot of boat for 8K. I'd look at a used boat. I got a steal on a repo from the dealer that was-and is-still in great shape. If you go the used route, and find the one you really want, take it someplace to get it checked out BEFORE you hand over the $. The owner shouldn't have a problem with that. If he does be wary.

Once you get the boat try to find someone who knows about running them to take you out. There will be a learning curve and having someone who knows how to do it will speed up the learning process.

Last, if you have never backed a boat, take it someplace like an empty parking lot and practice a little bit. It can be tricky and a little practice can make all the difference.
Old 02-04-10, 08:03 AM   #15
davect
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you ALL for the suggestions. I think it's in my best interest to start talking to people in person at the marinas and seeing what they tell me. Again I appreciate ALL the advice from everybody.
Old 02-04-10, 08:16 AM   #16
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

Dave,
You have been given some really invaluable advice here. My first boat was also used. I got a 15'9" Cajun with a 50hp Merc. for $3000 back in 1993. It lasted me 11 years with no maintenance. I was young and broke so I really did not get regular maintenance done. But like the others have mentioned, you can find some great deals all over the country, it just depends how far you want to drive to find what you want. I drove 4 hours to get my boat, but I am sure others have driven a lot further.

The costs that I provided were based on my 16.5 aluminum with a 40hp motor. I probably take it out 4-8 times a month. The more you use it, the more fuel, oil, maintenance it will require.
Old 02-04-10, 05:27 PM   #17
davect
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egolfer View Post
Dave,
You have been given some really invaluable advice here. My first boat was also used. I got a 15'9" Cajun with a 50hp Merc. for $3000 back in 1993. It lasted me 11 years with no maintenance. I was young and broke so I really did not get regular maintenance done. But like the others have mentioned, you can find some great deals all over the country, it just depends how far you want to drive to find what you want. I drove 4 hours to get my boat, but I am sure others have driven a lot further.

The costs that I provided were based on my 16.5 aluminum with a 40hp motor. I probably take it out 4-8 times a month. The more you use it, the more fuel, oil, maintenance it will require.
Wow 11 years!! You got your moneys worth there!!

I just saw this ad...

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Tr...o-17/111992401

Just the type of boat I'm looking for and Worcester, MA is only 1.5 hours from me. I'm just scared of this because it's over 20 years old and I can get a brand new one for just 5 grand more. It just doesn't seem worth it. I would have a better peace of mind knowing that the boat I bought has no problems with it gauranteed.
Old 02-04-10, 08:15 PM   #18
WTL

It looks to be in good shape, but I think you can do better than that boat. My father bought that same era tracker for 1000 a few years back, not in that good of shape admittantly...
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 08:45 PM   #19
bamabassman

I TOTATLY AGREE WITH WTL ON THIS ONE PAL. You can do better price wise. This is on a lot isn't it? Look for one owned by an indivdual.
Old 02-04-10, 09:29 PM   #20
IS300n8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IS300n8

dave where in CT are you from ?
IS300n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 09:49 PM   #21
lilmule

Most likly they will barter a bit and it can be had for about 500 less.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 08:17 AM   #22
IS300n8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IS300n8

http://www.reynolds1859.com/reynolds....asp?type=used
Not sure if your anywhere near lyme but reynolds has a really nice g3 for sale for 6895
IS300n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 09:11 AM   #23
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS300n8 View Post
http://www.reynolds1859.com/reynolds....asp?type=used
Not sure if your anywhere near lyme but reynolds has a really nice g3 for sale for 6895
This is a great boat. It is 1' longer and 2 years older then one I have. Plus the Yamaha motors are great. The front is huge, probably one of the largest I have seen on these size aluminum boats. Plus, a center rod locker that can hold rods up over 7'. My boat is a foot smaller and I can store about 12 rods in the locker with 3 of them being 7'6". There is also room in transom for three batteries in case you want to put on 24V TM. If all checks all the electronics and mechanics check out, I think you will be very happy with this rig.
Old 02-06-10, 12:19 PM   #24
davect
BassFishin.Com Member

IS300,

I'm in Branford.
Old 02-06-10, 12:22 PM   #25
davect
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow nice find on that boat man!! I really wish I had the money right now to possibly look more into this.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.