Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-09, 08:26 PM   #1
DJ_Callahan_27
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Sunglasses

I have a question the best all around sunglasses lens color? I wear prescripition glasses every waking min. so buying several different pairs to try out is within my buget. So what I'm asking is if you could only choose one lens color to use all the time in all fishing situations which would it be?

DJ
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 08:27 PM   #2
DJ_Callahan_27

Sorry, is not within my buget.
Old 04-18-09, 08:58 PM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

if I had to pick one, it would be amber or burnt orange. It will see in brighter light conditions, but not as well as a blue/grey.
The blue/grey is best in brighter light, but has more issues in the lower light settings than amber does in brighter light.
Old 04-18-09, 09:01 PM   #4
Stinkies Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Callahan_27 View Post
I have a question the best all around sunglasses lens color? I wear prescripition glasses every waking min. so buying several different pairs to try out is within my buget. So what I'm asking is if you could only choose one lens color to use all the time in all fishing situations which would it be?

DJ
I wear Solar Bat Silver Speeds w/ the gradient lenses. Moss green at the top to amber at the bottom, as you move your eyes downward looking thru the lenses. i don't need scription yet but i truly love these shades! just as effective in low light as mid day. they even have the foam inserts to block wind and all the crap in it. They do fog a lil but you can get a lil thing of crap crap and it will clear the fog up.
Old 04-18-09, 09:51 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cocoons i use the gray ones about 80% of the time..amber/yellow the rest of the time...

zooker
Old 04-18-09, 11:09 PM   #6
Jigger

I wear bifoculs. Amber is my choice. I've been wearing them for years.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 02:21 AM   #7
66KingFisher

I started wearing glasses in my late 40's and they are also bifocals....I haven't done alot of shopping around but I've yet to run across an inexpensive pair of polorized sunglasses that will fit over my prescription glasses and not make me look like something out of a B rated horror movie....last summer I bought a pair of Strike Kings polarized clipons in blue/grey from Walmart.....They are better then nothing, and do keep the bright sun from roasting my eyes but, I'm not crazy about them, and I don't really feel like they help me see past the surface at all, and they seem to give off there own funky twinkly reflection to the shimmers on the water....i'd like to try some amber colored ones to see if they work better but Walmart doesn't carry them apparently....i've got a feeling i'm gettin what I pay for when I spend less than $20 for polorized sunglasses....I dunno.

Now that the subjects been brought up i'd like to know what brand of sunglasses others use that also wear prescription glasses and what kinda price range do ya'll spend on them?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 03:31 AM   #8
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't wear corrective lenses, but as for lens color, I feel that amber has a significant advantage over others when fishing. It seems to give me better contrast than blue or gray, and it does a great job of cutting glare, while still maintaining good light transmission for low light conditions. It is a real no brainer for sight fishing, I seem to get about 30 or so percent more viewable depth when compared with blue. Just remember, none of it really matters if you aren't going with polarized lenses.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 09:27 AM   #9
keithdog

Hey DJ. I'm in the same situation you are my friend. I'm soon buying a pair to wear over my glasses as well. I'm going to go with amber this time around. I posted a lens color post a while back and about 80% of responders chose amber. It may not be the best for every situation, but it's probably a good all around color. And I wanted to let you know, I was up at Bass Pro the other day checking out their sunglasses, and I agree 100% with Zooker on the Cacoon brand. They sell fitted sunglasses made to slip right over you perscription glasses. They have several styles to choose from to match your style of lenses. I tried on the pair for mine and was blown away by the fit. And they are not big and gaudy like most other brands I've seen.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 10:02 AM   #10
Rebbasser

I wear contacts so I can wear regular sunglasses, but if In had to wear my glasses I'd go with cocoons. However, gray is my first choice with amber reserved for low light/cloudy conditions. What are you local conditions like the most? Here in south Texas is is sunny more than cloudy, so I go with gray. If I lived where it is more cloudy amber wo0uld be my #1.
Old 04-19-09, 03:49 PM   #11
DJ_Callahan_27

I was planing on have a prescripition pair of sunglasses made. Thats why I was wanting to know the best all around lens color. It's not going to be cheap. I'm thinking about transitional lens that will darken as conditions get brighter. Good idea or not? My biggest concern with that is that it may not help cut down on glare in lower light conditions. What are your thoughts on this I really want to know you guys opinions on this before I have them made.

Thanks guys,
DJ
Old 04-19-09, 06:43 PM   #12
bamabassman

i only get the little clip ons from wally world, darkest black thay got. at 10 bucks each, i don't worry bout them getting scratched up from working or fishing.
Old 04-19-09, 07:41 PM   #13
flfireman

I have 3- gray, blue, amber. Switch em out and see which one is working the best on that day. All cheapies(under $40.)
Old 04-20-09, 06:06 PM   #14
3dkicker

Amber was my choice. Works well in bright light and in overcast conditions. When getting prescription sunglasses don't be shocked when they can't do the prescription in the frames that you like. Some can't be done due to the prescription and the polarization. The wrap around style frames are toughest to get done. I went with Columbia.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.