Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-15-10, 06:46 PM   #1
jr.ego
BassFishin.Com Member

Lightbulb Double Spinnerbait/jig skirts

Has anyone tried two skirts on a spinnerbait or jig?? I've heard and tossed around the idea before, I would think it would give them a more fuller look, but wanted to hear some feedback before I go out and rattle my patients when trying to apply another skirt haha. Any advice/previous experience?
jr.ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 07:16 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There are some companies that make baits with fuller skirts rather than trying to attach more than one which quite frankly just sounds like a headache .

Jim
Old 05-15-10, 07:20 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My jig company sells our jigs with 80 strand (actually there are 88 strands) skirts. This is exactly twice as many strands as you get in a mass produced skirt like you buy at the store. I would be willing to sell you a few skirts if you want.
Old 05-15-10, 07:55 PM   #4
bassboogieman

I cheat and use a Yamamoto 4" hula twin tail as a trailer on jigs, haven't tried it on a spinnerbait but I'm sure it would work in a similiar fashion. Bulks it up and adds a slight contrast in color.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 08:49 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good idea bassboogie! Actually jr, I make my own spinnerbaits on occation and have tried doubling the skirt. I did it on a 3/4 oz. spinnerbait I designed for pike. It worked fine, but I havn't used it much and so far havn't caught anything on it. But them, while we do have pike around they arn't all that plentiful. On a smaller spinnerbait I think it would be too much, especially if you use a trailer on your spinnerbait.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 03:57 PM   #6
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.ego View Post
Has anyone tried two skirts on a spinnerbait or jig?? I've heard and tossed around the idea before, I would think it would give them a more fuller look, but wanted to hear some feedback before I go out and rattle my patients when trying to apply another skirt haha. Any advice/previous experience?
Depends on the spinnerbait or the jig. Can it handle the width of two collars? If not then your second will be falling off on every cast and I don't think it would work that well. C-rig has the right idea and buy a couple skirts with 60 or 80+ strands and see how they work. I'm sure any of the guys on the sight that make skirts can help you out.
Old 05-17-10, 08:23 PM   #7
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

I make my own 80 to 100 strand skirts, primarily for 1 oz jigs that I fish with big trailers. But I often used 2 skirts on a jig before I started making my own. In addition to commercial skirts not being full enough for big, heavy jig, it was a way to make use of skirts that I felt had too much of the contrast color. A Black & chartreuse skirt that was almost half chartreuse looked like crap to me. But stick it on with the solid black skirt (or a black & blue skirt) ahead of it, and it looks a lot less obtrusive. This jig has two skirts, a big, fat bodied trailer, and a 1 oz head.

Fish simply will not let it go. I think it's got so much mass, weight and movement in their mouth, it feel like it's trying to escape, and the clamp down on it and try their best to crush it.

I do cut it down to 60 skirts or less for jigs under 3/8 oz, and especially for spinnerbaits. Spinnerbaits like a longer skirt, but too full loses its appeal on a moving bait.

Speaking of spinnerbait skirts, years ago, I fished a day at 1000 Islands with former Classic winner, Bo Dowden. He was catching them on a spinnerbait, and a bowfin bent it so badly that the wire broke when Bo tried took the pliers to it. He pulled out a new spinnerbait, and before he even tied it on, he took the pliers and bent the blade a little, then ripped a bunch of the rubber out of the skirt and made what was left all ragged and uneven. He said he always did better with a spinnerbait that was beat up and "scrawny looking".
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.