Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-05, 03:12 AM   #1
LOU
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Talking does anyone know anything about crabs?

Don’t worry, not as bad as it sounds. Ok, like some of you know I’m fishing from down under in South Africa. For the greater part our bass = your bass. They look the look the same as in the states, react the same, the whole thing. There is however one minor difference. From what I believe you guys have an abundance of crawfish in the states and that this makes up a large part of the bass’s diet.
(1)Does the crawfish stay in the water all the time? (I understand that this is a silly question for someone familiar with them, but I have never seen one).

The reason why I am asking. Jig’s like these are fairly ineffective in S Africa.

I think the reason therefore is we don’t have crawfish or swimming crabs. We do however have these okes:

Of all the bass I have caught maybe 95% of them cough up crab shells and about 5% will spit out minnows when kept in the livewell. These crabs do make up a very large part of the bass’s diet in S Africa. These crabs do not swim and keep themselves in very shallow water or up against the shoreline. So much so that we sometimes run a pattern we you look for crabs up against the shoreline or trees as this will indicate there are a few bass waiting below, this has produced quite a few bass.

There has been some attempts in SA to make replicate plastic lures but they have so far proven to be ineffective. Has anyone seen crabs like these in the sates in a part of the country where maybe there are no crawfish? What do you use to replicate them? Or any suggestions from anyone will be welcomed. The variety of tackle that you all come into contact with on a daily basis is much larger than what I see. I strongly believe that if these critters can be accurately mimiced in SA waters you will be able to catch a lot more bass.

thanks in advance
Old 10-18-05, 04:51 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

they make a crab bait-can't remember who right now-for red fish. about 3" or so..across . they are a salt water bait. the only crabs i know of are salt water type.

yeah crawfish have gills. they stay completely in the water..

sounds like a crab problem..needs some quell ? lol

zooker
Old 10-18-05, 07:49 AM   #3
bassfisherman32
BassFishin.Com Member

here crawdads work good but we dont have many crabs in georgia.
bassfisherman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 07:50 AM   #4
bassfisherman32
BassFishin.Com Member

Do they make crabs?
bassfisherman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 08:36 AM   #5
Mac1

Iv'e seen saltwater flies tied as crabs, but have not tried them here. I used to have some soft plastic crabs at one time and tried them for a while, but was fishing a non-saltwater, non-brackish water and got no strikes. Wish I could help, sorry......Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 08:43 AM   #6
Mac1

You might want to try the following. Get a sheet of craft foam and cut out a pair of claws in the general crab design and placement in relationship to each other.......these claws will be connected by a circular arm of foam as you cut them out. Then stick the foam claws on a jig by running the hook through the circular arm. By cutting the claws the correct size and the connecting arm in the correct position, you might get the claws to just show nicely at the back end of the jig and not be hanging clear out like the craw claws in your picture. If you find the craft foam claws float too high on the jig, you may have to resort to another material such as naugahyde for the claws. You can add small details with a dark brown marker if you think that would help.

If you can't find the sheets of craft foam locally, pm me your mailing address and I'll be glad to send you some.

It's cheap per sheet and I have a bunch. Good fishing, Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 10:03 AM   #7
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://www.berkley-fishing.com

look on their sight under saltwater lures for the Peeler Crab. Its exactly what you're looking for. And being such a large company like berkley, shouldn't be hard to find somebody over there with them or a distributor who will send them over there. good luck.
Old 10-18-05, 11:43 AM   #8
JB

the crawfish here in ohio make mounds of dirt and a hole to bury in the ground, go in and out of the dirt and water daily
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 01:30 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Probably the closest thing I can think of I've seen would be the "Sweet Beaver" or knockoffs that you could cut all of the claws and tail to look like it has more legs. That would be the closest I can think of. I couldn't find the item Rodman put up, but sounds like it would be what you are looking for. I prefer to eat my crabs(OH YEAH) especially in some fettucini alfredo along with them. I also must say I'm really shocked no one down there hasn't come up with a "Plastic Crab", might be your new money maker. Also you might want to try some ALL PLASTIC craw style baits, not with a Jig combo. For example the Yum makes a crawdad/crayfish that looks really close to crawdad, and have the more lifelike appeal, along with some legs, the Baby Paca Craw, from Netbait has been producing big time for me lately. I say catch one, make a plaster mold out of it, and then pour your own plastcis, and start making a your first million.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 10-18-05 at 01:36 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 04:19 PM   #10
pig n jig

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 05:25 PM   #11
zooker

here ya go lou bass pro has your hook up -shipping would be high but..
i think a 3/0-4/0 wide gap would do it nice like t-rig it with a heavy bullet and drag it along..

zooker
Old 10-18-05, 05:49 PM   #12
Rodman_Rob

this is what I was refering to earlier, I tried posting the link straight from the berkley site but it wouldn't allow it. Thanks Pig n Jig for inadvertantly giving me the idea of linking through bass pro
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
Old 10-19-05, 03:57 PM   #13
pig n jig

Old 10-20-05, 03:03 AM   #14
LOU

Thanks guys!!

I will order some. Normally shipping is not that high if I order a bunch of stuff.

the berkley option seems to be what I was looking for. cant believe I havent seen it before.
Old 10-20-05, 05:01 AM   #15
zooker

umm lou most crabs are made for salt water so they tend to be tougher plastic wise then regular plastic baits..

zooker
Old 10-21-05, 11:07 AM   #16
lizardsrule

Lou,

I was wondering, do you fish a lot of tidal rivers where you are?

Lizards
Old 10-21-05, 12:01 PM   #17
basstech

Tidal rivers? That's all we have in Missouri to fish, would be nice if we had some large man made resivoirs that have hundreds of miles of shoreline to bang on.
Old 10-21-05, 04:59 PM   #18
zooker

um hear nc has a place call norman or buggs island there you go 2 lakes over 100,000 surface acres.

zooker
Old 10-22-05, 01:53 PM   #19
Rodman_Rob

those berkley crabs smell real good too, well, for stinky crabs at least.
Old 10-22-05, 02:50 PM   #20
KH.

nice red x zook!!!
Old 10-24-05, 09:07 PM   #21
pig n jig

Lou, When you get the crabs, will you let us know if it was worth the trouble of getting the crabs or not ? Sorry I just had to post it, I truely am interested to know if they do catch fish for you. P N J
Old 10-25-05, 02:26 AM   #22
LOU

I am planning to make up an order from basspro.com so I will be sure to add it to my list.

Will post an update on the hit rate as soon as I get some info.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.