Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-09-09, 05:51 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Don’t buy cheap fishing line…

Along with checking out every reel & rod combo at sporting goods stores I often browse the many type of fishing lines available. I’ve purchased some well known brands but the cheaper entry level stuff for my light tackle. But after trying Stren and a couple of others I’ve discovered that the line Bass Pro Shops offers beats most of the cheap name brand lines. I believe BPS uses Berkley. The Stren original was horrible on my spinning reel. It felt brittle and tangled horrible on just about every cast. Before the Stren I had it spooled with some free stuff from Dicks Sporting Goods which was just as horrible. I went in to have BPS strip Stren off of one of my reels and spool it on another, and I was going to purchase 8lb Berkley XL to replace Stren. BPS recommended I spool it with their line and it would be less than half of what the Berkley off the shelf would be. My spinning reel feels like a new reel. For a moment I was hoping BPS would have another trade in your reel special. I would have been first in line.

Disclaimer: This correspondence should not be deemed as a proclamation of BPS having the best fishing line in the universe and no other line should be used, and may not be interpreted as such.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 06:12 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I never get my line spooled at the store. Every time I have done this, it is horrible, no matter what brand. I always spool my reels myself.

What do you consider not to be a "cheap name brand" line? My dad has used stren original for years, but recently, I've been having some problems with it. Berkley Trilene is still worse IMO although they are owned by the same company. I'm not surprises the line from dicks was crap though. Now, the only mono I use is Sufix Elite (and Stren Super Knot on occasion)

When you say the BPS line was cheaper than the trilene off the shelf, it's because you're not paying for a full spool when you get your reels spooled at a store like that, unless, of course, you have them spool a special line you picked off the shelf.

BB
Old 06-09-09, 06:26 PM   #3
Bassboss

Yes BPS makes great line, I've heard great stuff about there Flouro, I love there mono (BPS excel I believe!) It's cheep, and works well!

I don't like getting my line spooled at the store either, never turns out well, do it at home!
Old 06-09-09, 07:00 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The only BPS line I've used is the Excel braid, and it's horrible IMO. I can't speak for the other lines, but I've heard good things about the fc.

BB
Old 06-10-09, 10:26 AM   #5
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The excel mono is a decent line, but over the past years i've narrowed it down to two lines for everything... P-Line Floroclear for my spinning combo (8lb.), and my Flipping/Pitching/Jig Rod (15lb.). The other line I use is Berkley Big Game in 12 and 15lb. for crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Ryan
Old 06-10-09, 10:32 AM   #6
bassFishingWNY

I use only Hi Seas Black Widow. The best line I have ever used, no stretch, thin diameter (more on reel), no tangles, and disappears under water.
bassFishingWNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:06 AM   #7
Mac2

I've had excellent results with the BPS Excel Mono......nine bucks for 1500 yards. The six pound mono has little stretch, holds up well concerning abrasion and is really tough to break off when snagged for being only 6 lb. line.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:56 AM   #8
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

I used to buy Red Wolf line dirt cheap(my local guy doesn't stock it anymore).It was actually Berkeley.Never,ever had a problem with it.
Now I just use Berkeley or PowerPro.
Old 06-11-09, 09:58 AM   #9
zooker

ande premium mono $17 a 1/2 pound spool-2000 yards of 12 pound test- that cheap crap is just that crap...

zooker
Old 06-11-09, 05:07 PM   #10
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
ande premium mono $17 a 1/2 pound spool-2000 yards of 12 pound test- that cheap crap is just that crap...

zooker

Unfortunately none of the local shops carry Ande mono, if I remember I'll get a spool of it the next time I shop online with BPS.

I've been using that new Deep Cranking Suffix mono, about $9 for 300 yards, handles pretty good.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 06:39 PM   #11
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

when I started fishing tournaments a and i was complaining about the costs of lucky craft lures he said "boy, lures, line, rods, and reels are cheap...fish are expensive. For every fish you don't catch that's less money you will win. Don't buy cheap stuff."
Old 06-19-09, 04:33 PM   #12
Bill M

I had a partner in a tournament a few weeks back and broke off 6 fish he hooked in a row, he said he just spooled up the night before, it was Stren mono and I told him I never use Stren but I have purchased a bad spool of BPS that broke off on every hook-set, tried another spool and it was fine, ya never know how old a spool is when purchased
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 07:32 PM   #13
bassboogieman

BPS Excell is pretty good mono - just change it regularly. Before I stopped useing mono, I spooled up with McCoy' Mean Green - very good mono.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 05:05 PM   #14
Jim80

I have started using fluorocarbon for almost every application i fish or a line like pline fluoroclear , for straight fluorocarbon it's triline 100% fluoro

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.