Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-09, 07:49 PM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Anyone around the N.O. area?

Just have a couple of questions about Tulane if anyone lives around that area... I'm very interested in their medical program. Thanks
Old 03-03-09, 07:53 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Go ahead and post the questions if you want. I've been to NO 3 times since Katrina and I know some live in LA, maybe someone will be able to answer it even if they arent a local.
Old 03-03-09, 08:00 PM   #3
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

check out UAMS in little rock too. http://www.uams.edu/default.asp their med program is rated very good and the cost of living would be less than NO. not to mention that the crime rate is scary bad down there right now.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 08:04 PM   #4
bamabassman

Tulane is a great university cranky. but i think that u.a.b. is better in sime med fields. na'orlans is great town, but hurricaines DO happen. it ain't IF one will hit, it is WHEN it hits.
Old 03-03-09, 08:05 PM   #5
crankybait

Yeah the crime was one question I actually had. Is it really that bad? is that a place where I would need to be like incredibly careful and always watching my back? I mean I like Tulane because its a farily good program, I would escape the cold of the Northeast, and the food and culture is great.
Tulane is one of the few schools that still offers a 7 or 8 year med program, meaning that I'm guarenteed access to medical school. The other options I have that I actually like are Penn State and Uconn, but once again, those are colder areas and probably not as lively as N.O. There are many schools above the standard of Tulane, but most do not offer this program. I will apply to some undergrad programs, but if I get into one of these programs, I will probably end up going through it. This would be just so i don't have to worry about applying to medical school later, and can bypass the MCAt in some cases.
Anyhow, is the temperature and humidity beyond standable? And would there be much fishing nearby? Is it a long distance to find things to do (I figure it would be hard to get bored in a big city like that). I go to a small school right now and hate it, so I would definately like a vast student body. I know Katrina did not really affect Tulane much, but do hurricanes and storms really occur as often as people make it seem?
Old 03-03-09, 08:07 PM   #6
aikenyounggun

dude i dont know much about the area but after that med degree you could buy a real nice boat
Old 03-03-09, 08:09 PM   #7
WTL

If there is one thing that I can say for sure, New Orleans will not bore you.

The locals seem to understand how to get around the crime deal a little better when it comes to the touristy spots. The parking in the Quarter is really horrendous though.

I have a friend who goes to UT Memphis which is another sometimes rough city and she lives in a gated community type deal. I wonder if thats what Tulane students do to put some distance between them and the street.

Fishing wise, there is saltwater lake Ponctatrain right there and also the mighty mississippi. No shortage of water, quality is a question I'm unsure of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
dude i dont know much about the area but after that med degree you could buy a real nice boat
Only after he buys a real nice insurance policy.
Old 03-03-09, 08:35 PM   #8
bamabassman

wtl, i think you are right about the gated parking. think i saw it while visiting once. and cranky, he is right...bourbon street is NOT boreing one little bit. you would see every walk of life there is. as for the fishing, there is alot of places one can fish there....like the entire bayou,lol. fresh water, salt water. it is all there pal. as for the crime....well it IS atourist attraction like wtl said. if you go there, stick with your friends till you know the ins and outs. careful of the VOODOO queen's crypt too. pay your respects to her, she just might look after you if you go there. she is NOT dead, just ask around. b'ham is a pretty much tame compared to new orleans. but it has it's share of crime. i have a neice that works at u.a.b. she loves it. she is a nurse in the trama/burn center. not much of a nightlife compared to new orleans either. but the college has a lot of things going year round.
Old 03-03-09, 08:38 PM   #9
WTL

Also, just cause it has breasts and makeup does not mean its a woman. Be careful, Cranky.
Old 03-03-09, 08:43 PM   #10
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Also, just cause it has breasts and makeup does not mean its a woman. Be careful, Cranky.

Lmao man that there is funny .

Jim
Old 03-03-09, 08:45 PM   #11
bamabassman

that is what i mean by ALL wqalks of life, hahahahahaha. uuummmm and wtl, are you talking from experience? hmmmmm? hahahahahahahaha.
Old 03-03-09, 08:47 PM   #12
WTL

You're just trying to get back at me cause you like hitting them *ocks.
Old 03-03-09, 08:51 PM   #13
bamabassman

hahahaha yea you're right. and i think i did. hahahahaha. ok sorry cranky didn't mean to steal your thread pal. but THEY started it,nananananananana. lmao.
Old 03-03-09, 08:53 PM   #14
WTL

John, lets never fight again.
Old 03-03-09, 08:55 PM   #15
bamabassman

lol, ok, but i ain't gonna hug ya,lmao. (shivering at the thought,lol)
Old 03-03-09, 08:57 PM   #16
WTL

Haha.

Anyways Cranky, I'm not sure if I could see you living in NOLA, but I couldnt see my brother who is a doctor living in Lafayette and Houma but he apparently loves it. I would recommend at the very least taking a visit and forming more of an opinion on that.
Old 03-03-09, 08:59 PM   #17
bamabassman

truly i agree cranky, you should visit the area, it might just be the right place for ya.
Old 03-03-09, 09:37 PM   #18
crankybait

Haha alright thanks for the help guys, does clear some stuff up. Been planning a visit, but its quite far, and planning a trip to Louisiana through my rough schedule is hardly a walk in the park. But it does seem like it would be a nice fit for me... good weather, exciting place, good academics, and of course good fishing

"Also, just cause it has breasts and makeup does not mean its a woman. Be careful, Cranky. "

That, however, does scare me hah
Old 03-03-09, 09:55 PM   #19
bamabassman

just wait till you tell then you are studing to be a doctor, they'll line up wanting a physical,hahahaha.
Old 03-04-09, 12:15 AM   #20
MississippiBoy

My adopted sister is from New Orleans, plus my brother-in-law and his wife live in Covington, which is just across the Ponchartrain from NO. She grew up in Slidell, several miles to the east of Covington.
The crime in NO is bad, if you're in the bad areas. It's just like most cities, just learn where you can go, where you shouldn't go, and where you need to stay the hell away from at all costs.
As far as temperature and humidity, that's up to you. Us southern folk are somewhat used to it, so it doesn't bother us as badly as it would you Yankees (sorry, but that's what you are...no offense ). Average high in the summer is 90-91 F, and fairly high humidity. You will sweat, and it will NOT evaporate. But there's a beautiful new invention called "air conditioning"...
As far as places to fish, let's put it this way...New Orleans itself is surrounded on 3 sides by water, the Mississippi River runs right through it, and it's actually below sea level. You walk up the dyke from the French Quarter, and realize the water in front of you is closer to the top of it than the street behind you is. There's PLENTY of creeks, sloughs, ponds, lakes, rivers, etc. Not a problem.

If you need more detailed info about something, let me know and I'll find out.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 09:44 PM   #21
bamabassman

mississippiboy ia right as rain cranky. the air will feel HEAVY to ya for a while. sometimes you can ACTUALLY SEE the humidity. i am not kidding bud. it will take you around a year to get used to it. take alot of showers,lol. and he is also right about where to go and not go. my wife is born-nbred from mobile,al. we lived there for 17 years. hardly NO winter, maybe a week here and there,lol. seen snow ONCE. back in 93. had 6 inches for HALF aday, hahaha. have fun and let us know when ya get there, maybe we can meet ya one weekend. we visit often.
Old 03-04-09, 11:09 PM   #22
crankybait

Haha, humidity? you don't know humidity until you been to India... Hell, your shirt will be sticking to your back within minutes. I'm sure that would be something I could get used to. As to city life... hey, I was fine in the bronx... Just gotta use ya head a little bit, its all good.
I'll let you guys know when I'm planning my visit... should be sometime early April
Old 03-05-09, 07:14 AM   #23
WTL

Some parts of NOLA will remind you of India. I dont say that nicely.
Old 03-05-09, 06:19 PM   #24
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
that is what i mean by ALL walks of life,
they are right.. cranky think "the village west" and add a helping of voodoo and gators -not joking-i lived there for awhile so yeah i KNOW..

i have been to NO a couple times -not recent- the crime has always been there..buron street is anything but boring.. cranky best put down the book and start pressin some iron imo.. a skinny kid like him is a thug's favoite target.

zooker
Old 03-05-09, 06:28 PM   #25
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
.. cranky best put down the book and start pressin some iron imo.. a skinny kid like him is a thug's favoite target.

& WTL & Bama you guys are hilarious

*snort*
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.