Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-07, 08:06 AM   #1
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Cold Weather Tourney

I have a tournament on the James River this coming Saturday and the weather forcast is for a low of 25 in the morning and a high of 48. That should shut the bite down. Water temps were in the mid 60's last weekend and we've had a few warm days this week but it's going to cool of tomorrow through the weekend. I'm not real excited about it now. My brother and I really caught them good 2 weeks ago about 65 miles from the launch but I'm not sure I want to make an hour run in 25 degree weather. I'm really racking my brain trying to figure out what to do!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 08:15 AM   #2
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

SLOOOOWW Down your presentation and downsize. I'm running into the same situation up here in Maryland this weekend at our tourney on the Potomac.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 09:48 AM   #3
BassAddict

Definately will slow it down. I'm really debating whether to fight the 5,000 boat (probably 130 teams) in the pits on the James or make the 65 mile run to where I know the fish are but couldn't get them to bite last week. There's plenty of fish in the pits but there will be plenty of fisherman there too. Elbow to elbow most likely. I know you deal with that a lot on the Potomac Hef. I've fished there a few times and had 7 boats with us at the bridge in Powells Creek once. I love that river though.
Old 04-05-07, 09:16 AM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The last tournament on ky lake when conditions were like this, the winning angler used the smallest crawdad bomber crankbait on gravel points and homeowners concrete ramps ...I will def. downsize the lures tomorrow!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 12:43 PM   #5
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Brother, you ain't kiddin. That place kills me at times. Sometimes, I have to break the cardinal sin "don't leave fish, to find fish" because of SOOOOO many people are right up on ya. If you stick a fish on the Potomac and some of those guys will motor right over to ya and start throwing in your water. Thats when Hef ties on the topwater plug w/ three sets of trebles and starts doing some idiot angling! They usually pull up their trolling motor about the second cast in their direction.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 01:00 PM   #6
JB

I know what ya mean hef. Its either that or they come in an make a huge wake, fish on top of ya, and then leave in 20 minutes....its always kewl to boat a fish right after they leave isn't it rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 04:31 PM   #7
lizardsrule

I just made this post on the Snow post, I believe it to be true. Slow isn't always the answer.

"Most fish during the colder water spring time are feeding on baitfish, or crawfish. Snow is a LOW PRESSURE area, so don't think that only slow moving baits will work. Cold is relative. Has the water been warming? If so the fish will start moving faster and more agressive. A Cold front is bad, but cold water doesn't have to be. It's all about how cold it was, and how cold it is now. Flukes/Spinnerbaits/Cranks can work even in cold water. Slower plastics, such as a Paca Craw/JIG/Worm/Lizard can also work. I would try the faster stuff first, and then if nothing slow down with the plastics."

Lizards
Old 04-05-07, 05:00 PM   #8
BassAddict

Good advice Lizard! The water temps should still be in the mid-upper 50's on Saturday I'm guessing.

Hef,

The first time I fished the Potomac with my brother we were practicing for a tourney. We went up to the WW Bridge and dropped the trolling motor and started fishing a bardge on a point. Couple minutes later a guy, with 2 small kids, pulls up past us (2 boat lengths maybe) and drops the trolling motor and starts fishing in front of us. I absolutely couldn't believe what I was seeing. He didn't care one bit. If he didn't have the 2 little kids with him I would have told him what I thought about him at that point. We packed up and left. BTW... we lucked up and finished 6th in the tourney. Missed first by 1.5 lbs. and only had 4 keepers. Caught a 5 lber on the 3rd cast in Powells Creek.

Eric

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.