Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-11, 07:17 PM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Top 10 Fishing Highlights from 2010 (extremely picture heavy)

OK, it's a little late, but since we still have ice and a closed bass season here, what else do I have to do? Here are my top 10 highlights from the 2010 fishing season.

10. After my best year ever in 2009, I somehow bettered that in 2010. Before last year I had caught a total of NINE bass in my entire life that were 4.0 pounds or better. Last year alone I caught ELEVEN at 4.0 or more, including my first THREE ever at 20.0+ inches and my first TWO ever at 6.0+ pounds. Along with catching bigger bass, I caught more of them this year also:
Code:
Year   LM    SM  Total
2010   263   14   277   (60 outings in the boat, plus random dock/shore fishing)
2009   178    7   185   (54 outings in the boat, plus random dock/shore fishing)
9. I caught my biggest bag ever. . .14.0 pounds. . .twice.

These are the three biggest from Saturday morning, August 21 -- 3.12 SM, 2.10 LM, 2.15 LM; the final two not shown were LM at 2.6 and 2.5.

The 14 pound bag on Thursday, September 16 was anchored by this one that went 4.0 even. The others that morning were 2.15, 2.13, 2.3, 2.1, all LM.

8. Saturday, September 4 marked the first time I ever caught more than one 4 pounder in the same day, a 4.3 LM during the afternoon and a 4.0 SM that night. More details are in this thread.

7. I caught two 4.0+ pound Smallies in the same year for the first time ever. One is pictured above in highlight #8, the first one of the year came on Monday, July 12.

6. I capped off the best fishing weekend (actually all in one 24 hour period) of my life with this 5.2 LM in Iowa (3rd best on my all-time bass list). More details are in this thread.

5. I caught my first ever 20.0+ inch bass (5lb 1oz, 20" length, 14" girth) on "our" lake where I do almost all of my fishing. The ironic part is that I caught it Saturday night, June 19, and it was bigger than any bass caught earlier that day during the 50-boat fishing tourney held on this lake. More details are in this thread.

4. I caught my first ever 6+ pound bass - 6.0 pounds even at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, September 10 in Iowa (a new PB at the time, 20.5" length, 15.0" girth). More details are in this thread.

3. I caught a new PB for the second time in 20 hours (on a different lake than the 6.0 above) at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 11 in Iowa. This one was 6lb 9oz with a 21.0" length and 16.6" girth. More details are in this thread.

2. Twenty-two different relatives and friends caught at least one fish while they stayed with us at our cabin this year; 613 total fish were caught, including cabin-record fish for LM, Rock Bass, Perch and Silver Pike. We keep two "cabin record by species" white boards, one for the year and one for all-time since we've owned the place (Labor Day weekend 2008). Everyone, even the non-fisherpeople, who visits us becomes ultra-competitive about getting "on the board."

My nephews and me:

My 6-year old nephew:

Yet another nephew and my wife:

My sister:

Still another newphew -- with his first bass ever!

1. The number 1 highlight for the year, by far, was being able to fish several times with my dad, who will be 76 in a couple months. He spent 3 weeks in the hospital last April/May, and we weren't sure there would be any fishing outings for us together last year. Each time out together was truly a blessing that we are both thankful for, and we're both hoping and praying we might get to share some time on the water again this year. I taught dad how to use senkos last year, and he caught more and bigger bass than he ever has. Needless to say, he was thrilled (and so was I)!

Here are a couple of his bigger MN fish from our cabin lake.

July 9 - 5lb 4oz pike

September 17 - 4lb 5oz LM

Last edited by WatterBoy; 04-03-11 at 09:55 PM.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 08:09 PM   #2
bcklash

WB this thread is awesome. I like all your pictures but I really like the ones with your Dad. Ya'll caught some nice fish also.
Old 04-03-11, 09:02 PM   #3
WatterBoy

Thanks, Ron! I know it's a really long post, but it was fun to put it together and re-live last year's fishing season while I anticipate the upcoming one.

Dean
Old 04-03-11, 09:25 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

<<getting kinda sick. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

dean, these are truly awesum man. thanks for showing them to us.
Old 04-03-11, 10:07 PM   #5
rrw4258

Wow, seems like you had a great year last year... congrats to you and all your relatives!

Ryan
Old 04-03-11, 10:09 PM   #6
ruasoonerfan2
BassFishin.Com Member

That's what fishing is all about. Time spent with loved ones doing something you both love.
ruasoonerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 11:55 PM   #7
keithdog

Thats a heck of a post with many great pics. Thanks for letting us enjoy them too.
Old 04-04-11, 12:34 AM   #8
Jrob78

That's awesome man. You and your family had a great year. Fishing is one of the few things in life that can truly bring people together, regardless of age, and create memories that will last a lifetime. It looks like you have a very special thing going and fishing is only a portion of it, congratulations to you for that!

You are obviously a very methodical record keeper, it would be very interesting to see your log books in 10 yrs and again in 20.
Old 04-04-11, 12:53 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That's awesome man. You and your family had a great year. Fishing is one of the few things in life that can truly bring people together, regardless of age, and create memories that will last a lifetime. It looks like you have a very special thing going and fishing is only a portion of it, congratulations to you for that!

You are obviously a very methodical record keeper, it would be very interesting to see your log books in 10 yrs and again in 20.
"a very methodical record keeper" ... yeah, let's call me that. It sounds a lot better than what everyone else around here calls me because of the fishing details I track.
Old 04-04-11, 12:58 PM   #10
WaffleJaw

Man you had a great year!...Hopefully you do even better in 2011
Very impressed you tracked it all.
Old 04-04-11, 01:02 PM   #11
WatterBoy

Thanks, Waffle. There are about a dozen guys here at work who always want to see my pictures after I get back from a fishing weekend. Most of them have heard about or seen my detailed tracking spreadsheet, so they are always making fun of me about that. I enjoy the recordkeeping, though, so I'll keep doing it as long as I do.
Old 04-04-11, 01:22 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Great thread Dean, I really enjoyed the pictures.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 04:48 PM   #13
nova385
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cool post - Looks like a heck of a year! lots of happy fishers. I wish I would take more pics.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 05:59 PM   #14
bamabassman

ok, GOTTA KNOW WHAT "THEY" CALL OYU DEAN..............COM'ON NOW GIVE!!!! LOL!
Old 04-04-11, 06:26 PM   #15
Bassboss

^^^^^^ haha bama, I was wondering the same thing, lol!!

Great thread waterboy! Some nice fish in there for sure... and fat little rock bass!
Old 04-04-11, 06:33 PM   #16
Cavs1123

All I cans ay is......wow!
Old 04-04-11, 08:08 PM   #17
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ok, GOTTA KNOW WHAT "THEY" CALL OYU DEAN..............COM'ON NOW GIVE!!!! LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
^^^^^^ haha bama, I was wondering the same thing, lol!!

Great thread waterboy! Some nice fish in there for sure... and fat little rock bass!
"Insane" is a popular choice, followed closely by "crazy" and "off your rocker", and the twenty-something-year-olds like to tease me about being so old (46) that I've completely lost my marbles to be keeping track of fishing details like this. One guy last year asked me, "Who in their right mind would even think to keep track of fishing details in a spreadsheet, let alone do all that work?". I told him I don't see it as work, and I never claimed to be in my right mind.
Old 04-04-11, 09:13 PM   #18
bcklash

They need to meet Bama. They would start calling you sir.

If they would get on this forum, they would see alot of insane, crazy and off your rocker people. Just keep posting them pictures, we got your back.
Old 04-04-11, 10:19 PM   #19
MIbasser

Great post watterboy!! Hopefully '11 is better then '10 (well, if the ice ever comes off the lakes!!)
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 10:43 PM   #20
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
They need to meet Bama. They would start calling you sir.

If they would get on this forum, they would see alot of insane, crazy and off your rocker people. Just keep posting them pictures, we got your back.
Funny you should mention this forum, lash. Several of them also like to razz me for spending time at this site and on this forum when they see me out here every day during lunch. They just don't get it.

P.S. - Something I forgot to mention in the original post is that every fish shown was released unharmed! I'm still contemplating a replica mount of the 6.9 hawg.
Old 04-05-11, 05:30 PM   #21
bamabassman

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............dean, they ain't got a life pal. lie ron said. oyu keep posting the pics and keeping the cahrts WE GOT YOUR BACK BUDDY!!!

and yes......they DO call me sir, hahahahahaha!!! SIR FISH-A-HOLIC!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.