Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-02-13, 10:50 PM   #1
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Are they worth it

I want to get some 10 inch soft plastics but I can't see paying 7 dollars worth of shipping for a 3.99 package anyone know where else I can scoop some up other than TW.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 10:51 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Sorry, but I don't.
Isn't that ridiculous though?

It's their way of getting you to buy in bulk
Old 04-02-13, 10:54 PM   #3
Hoosier

Yeh I'm not gonna pay twice as much for shipping as I do for the product.
Old 04-02-13, 10:55 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would think any sporting good stores with a fishing dept would have either 10" Power Worms or 10" Zoom Ole Monsters.
Old 04-02-13, 10:56 PM   #5
Hoosier

That's the thing I have to drive 50 miles just to get to gander mountain. I think that I will have to make a trip. I want to start throwing some swimbaits as well this year.
Old 04-02-13, 11:04 PM   #6
Jrob78

I assume you've checked your local Walmart's supply of soft plastics? If you decide to order from TW, just make a list of all the things you might need, spend $50 and get free shipping. That's what I do
Old 04-02-13, 11:14 PM   #7
Hoosier

I just can't believe its almost eight bucks for a four dollar item.
Old 04-02-13, 11:18 PM   #8
Jrob78

It isn't but if you only buy a $4 item and pay $2 for shipping, they are losing money. They have to pay for the box, someone to pack it, someone to fill out a shipping label, 3% goes to the credit card company....all those things add up.
Old 04-02-13, 11:53 PM   #9
Hoosier

I guess I can see that but the funny thing is I would probably b OK paying 8 for the worms and 4 for shipping I'm weird like that I guess.
Old 04-03-13, 12:10 AM   #10
Jrob78

I'm totally with you on that, it's the principal of the thing.
Old 04-03-13, 01:17 AM   #11
kennethdaysale

Hoosier you should just order $50 worth of stuff from TW. The $4 shipping you were gonna pay for 1 bag pays for the 2nd bag, now all you need is 11 more to hit $50. If 13 bags of rubber worms seems extreme you obviously haven't been doing this long enough to have met our friend Pan troglodytes . Or sit down in front of your tackle and evaluate. Surely you could use a spool or two of good line and a pack or two of hooks and leads to go along with your new 10" curly tail worms. If you stay at this bass fishing for very long you'll soon see the wisdom in pissing 50 dollar bills away before breakfast.

Besides if you just run over to Walmart and pick up one pack of worms how silly will you feel if you get to the lake and find out you picked the wrong color or worse you picked the right color and run out in the middle of a hot bite and you sit there cursing your short sightedness for not picking up an extra bag or two. Buying ONE bag of rubber worms is like buying one roll of toilet paper or ONE Hersheys Kiss.
Old 04-03-13, 02:02 AM   #12
Hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hoosier you should just order $50 worth of stuff from TW. The $4 shipping you were gonna pay for 1 bag pays for the 2nd bag, now all you need is 11 more to hit $50. If 13 bags of rubber worms seems extreme you obviously haven't been doing this long enough to have met our friend Pan troglodytes . Or sit down in front of your tackle and evaluate. Surely you could use a spool or two of good line and a pack or two of hooks and leads to go along with your new 10" curly tail worms. If you stay at this bass fishing for very long you'll soon see the wisdom in pissing 50 dollar bills away before breakfast.

Besides if you just run over to Walmart and pick up one pack of worms how silly will you feel if you get to the lake and find out you picked the wrong color or worse you picked the right color and run out in the middle of a hot bite and you sit there cursing your short sightedness for not picking up an extra bag or two. Buying ONE bag of rubber worms is like buying one roll of toilet paper or ONE Hersheys Kiss.
I guess i could evaluate my tackle situation. Got any suggestions for a merky 3-4 feet of visability color wise. I know that it can very pending on conditions but what color would you recommend.
Old 04-03-13, 02:15 AM   #13
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I guess i could evaluate my tackle situation. Got any suggestions for a merky 3-4 feet of visability color wise. I know that it can very pending on conditions but what color would you recommend.
Most people would call 3-4 feet visability slightly stained to borderline clear. 3-4 inch visibility is truly murky, but water color is in the eye of the beholder.
Contrary to what a lot of people will tell you and unlike crankbaits and such I like to use plastics that blend instead of contrast. Drop a worm in the water you're fishing and if it seems to disappear....that's the one. If it sticks out like a wart on a monkeys a$$ pick a different one.
Old 04-03-13, 08:35 AM   #14
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Can't help you on that one, Hoosier.
Around here 3-4' visibility,means you're in a 3-4' river .

I ran into the same thing ordering bbq sauce a few years ago.
Shipping for 1 bottle was like 8 bucks. Shipping for 12 bottles was like 20.
I ended up with a lot of bbq sauce!
Old 04-03-13, 09:19 AM   #15
bassboogieman

Ordering ONE BAG OF PLASTIC on line or by phone? C'mon that really doesnt qualify for any complaints at all about anything. If I was taking orders at DOI (BPS in case you missed out on that), I'd laugh at you and tell you to Go To Walmart, I don't need that volume of business and it's not worth my time - you can punch me at Dale Hollow, another incentive to attend!

OK, seriously - there isn't enough profit in a small, single item sale if the seller has to ship it out. They need to make a profit so the make it in the shipping/handling charges. Bigger sales = bigger profits so you'll often get free shipping on a minimum order (as in the TW example), as those charges can be absorbed from the larger profit margin.

This is my real feeling about shipping charges: Unless you live within 10 miles of any of the BIG tackle stores, shipping charges are cheaper than the gas to get there, your time, and fighting traffic. You pay for the convienience of sittting in a chair on your computer or phone and placing an order - avoiding all the hassle of actually going to the store, and that time can be devoted to something more important, and shipping charges are cheap in comparison. ME? if given the choice of spending $20-$25 (and it's often less) on shipping as opposed to driving an hour each way, an hour in the store and probably stopping to buy lunch, it's far cheaper to pay the shipping and I'll probalby buy LESS by not actually being in the store where my eyes will get me in trouble. And I can spend those 3 - 4 hours cutting my grass or getting out to the lake for some kayaking...

Hope you can make it to Dale Hollow!!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 09:34 AM   #16
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Ordering ONE BAG OF PLASTIC on line or by phone? C'mon that really doesnt qualify for any complaints at all about anything. If I was taking orders at DOI (BPS in case you missed out on that), I'd laugh at you and tell you to Go To Walmart, I don't need that volume of business and it's not worth my time - you can punch me at Dale Hollow, another incentive to attend!

OK, seriously - there isn't enough profit in a small, single item sale if the seller has to ship it out. They need to make a profit so the make it in the shipping/handling charges. Bigger sales = bigger profits so you'll often get free shipping on a minimum order (as in the TW example), as those charges can be absorbed from the larger profit margin.

This is my real feeling about shipping charges: Unless you live within 10 miles of any of the BIG tackle stores, shipping charges are cheaper than the gas to get there, your time, and fighting traffic. You pay for the convienience of sittting in a chair on your computer or phone and placing an order - avoiding all the hassle of actually going to the store, and that time can be devoted to something more important, and shipping charges are cheap in comparison. ME? if given the choice of spending $20-$25 (and it's often less) on shipping as opposed to driving an hour each way, an hour in the store and probably stopping to buy lunch, it's far cheaper to pay the shipping and I'll probalby buy LESS by not actually being in the store where my eyes will get me in trouble. And I can spend those 3 - 4 hours cutting my grass or getting out to the lake for some kayaking...

Hope you can make it to Dale Hollow!!
PLUS,
they know that there's probably not angler alive that can go into a fishing shop without spending AT LEAST the cost they charge for shipping/handling on crap you DIDN"T KNOW YOU NEEDED and probably didn't.
Old 04-03-13, 03:57 PM   #17
3dkicker

You check out the Korner Bait & Tackle and see if they had any??? If not head over to Big Mark's Tackle Shop.
Old 04-03-13, 08:10 PM   #18
Hoosier

I agree Boogie its just seems that alot of things these days are jacked when it comes to s/h. I just picked a used anchor off a buddy. My other buddy told me for 5$ more i could have gotten a new one. I told him if you consider the 35$ charge on shipping i think it was a bargain. To add the the 1 package thing i have never used a worm that big and wanted to give it a shot. If i liked them i would certainly purchase more. I was just in shock that the shipping was twice as much as the product.
Old 04-04-13, 02:15 PM   #19
3dkicker

Yum and Zoom both have 10" ribbontail worms and I've caught fish on both. Yum are a little smaller diameter. I carry a couple bags of each during the summer months.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.