Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 03-10-14, 04:57 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default Scumbags....

Whenever I think of good people, I think first of fishermen.
By and large, I really don't know if a better, more upstanding group exists.
Although liars tend to gravitate toward fishin ; )

When was the last time you launched a boat, without having a good conversation with another guy doin the same?
When was the last time you went to the bait shop and made it out of there in 5 minutes?
Few years back, this 60 somethin couple asked where they're bitin on the lake, and we chatted for 15 minutes at least. Put a real smile on my mug.

Then you have the bad eggs......

The following story is a copy/paste, btw...

A cage, or basket, of big, live bass was discovered in Lake Fausse Pointe’s Sandy Cove the week before the Children’s Hospital Bass Classic held March 1 out of Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville.
The news made me sick to my stomach because the discovery in all likelihood meant one or more bass fishermen planned to use them to cheat in one, or more, bass fishing contests.
But a commercial fisherman reportedly stumbled across the trapped bass, emptied the cage and ate the fish. However, he also reported his finding to the Enforcement Division of the state Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, which contacted Children’s Hospital Classic tournament director Brad Rodrigue of Pierre Part.
In an email sent Thursday by Adam Einck, media relations director for the LDWF’s Enforcement Division, Einck wrote, “Our agents received word about this on Feb. 28. However, since the fish were taken home and eaten, they didn’t have any evidence to pursue and have not been able to investigate any further.”
Einck urged anyone who could shed light on this cheating scheme that was nipped in the bud to call 1-800-442-2511.
Rodrigue responded prudently to the issue. After St. Martinville’s Randy Durandand Gregory Bourque won the first-place prize of $12,500 with five bass weighing 19.66 pounds, including the tournament’s biggest bass, a 5.63-pounder worth another $1,250, Rodrigue instructed them to go to Livingston the following day, Sunday, to take a lie detector test at 1 p.m.
Durand and Bourque passed the stress evaluation test with flying colors, Rodrigue said. It was administered by a detective with the Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office, he said.
Somewhere out there, though, is at least one dishonest scumbag, perhaps more, who deliberately put bass in a cage for future use.
Bourque, for one, was disgusted. He welcomed the lie detector test, he said, although it necessitated a long drive the day after the tournament, a fundraiser to benefit the high cost for medical helicopter used to transport children in need of immediate care to Children’s Hospital.
“It didn’t bother me, for that amount of money (for tournament officials to order the test),” Bourque said Thursday afternoon, noting after he and his CHC partner passed the test they were told about the bass in a cage in Sandy Cove, where they fished that Saturday,
“I just don’t go in that direction. I’ve been fishing tournaments for a long time. I don’t stoop that low,” he said, adding he disqualified himself one time for having to get out of his boat in a Hawg Fight.
Considering all the boat traffic and fishing pressure in Sandy Cove, and the extreme fluctuation of water levels before and after hard cold fronts, whoever put the bass in a cage “had to be an amateur” or, at the least, very dumb.
“With all the people in Sandy Cove, how are you going to get fish out without somebody seeing you? There’s just not nobody that stupid,” he said.
Plus, he said, assuredly the cage would be visible when the water dropped out of the large, shallow cove, a perennial spawning area, after a cold front.
Rodrigue was disappointed but relieved there was no cheating scandal to rock his prestigious fundraising tournament, which he has overseen since 2003. But the threat was real.
“It is pretty sad, you know,” the tournament director said, noting he was told of the situation before the start of the major event.
“It was in the best interests of my tournament to keep my mouth shut and see if anybody had anything in our tournament,” he said. “Everything we heard was, whoever found them, which I understand was a commercial fisherman, took home the fish. The good thing is they didn’t get the fish. The bad thing is the guy ate them.”
Rodrigue said he makes it mandatory to have “legitimate polygraph tests that will be upheld in a court of law and in the event of a civil lawsuit.”
“It’s one of the things you’ve got to do in order to keep a legitimate tournament,” he said.
Some Teche Area bass anglers aware of the attempt have talked about the case since last weekend. A few said perhaps the caged bass were meant for another bass fishing contest, perhaps the Louisiana Sportsman Open Bass Championship on March 15-16, which will pay out $35,000 to the Top 25, including $12,000 for the heaviest five-bass stringer.
There have been some big local bass tournaments held recently with more scheduled in the future. Hopefully, tactics like this weren’t used and won’t be used.

I like this guy Bourke. Sounds like exactly what I think of when I think of fishermen.
Especially the part I highlighted
Old 03-10-14, 07:10 PM   #2
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here's a similar story for you. We used to fish some Friday night tournaments at a local state park. They were small. Never more than a dozen or so boats. A hundred bucks or so in the pot plus big bass. Anyway, there were a couple of local guys (by local, within 5 miles of the lake) who won every week for 4-5 weeks. You'd see these guys go out and have beers cracked before they got out of sight from the ramp. They'd start casting and fishing in plain sight until it got dark then they'd always go into the same lily pad covered cove and park it until weigh in time. They'd sit there and smoke cigarettes and drink a little more beer, you'd hear splashing and carrying on, but come weigh in time they always had at least one 3-5 pound bass. We all stupidly figured they just knew what they were doing and we just never figured it out.The one night I did, we still lost by 3 pounds and lost big bass by 12 ounces. Come to find out, according to the guy at the local tackle shop whom they told, they had a fish box hidden back in that cove that they kept stocked up during the week and the a-holes would just load up the livewell and rake the cash. Once word got out, we never saw them again.
Old 03-10-14, 08:03 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

When ever you have lots of $ involved someone always wants to take a shortcut.
And one thing noone thinks about sometimes a homeowner or dock owner will open pen them on the inside of their dock,want fish go down and catch one again.So not always tournament minded for shortcuts.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 08:48 PM   #4
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mike, Dave, mule, thanks for the shares.

Old guy once told me, "Joe the quickest way to ruin your fishing was to wager money on the results!"

I bet him he was wrong.

But how ANYONE could feel good about a dishonest win or for that matter, act.
Is way beyond ME.
Anglers thanks again.
Old 03-11-14, 11:55 AM   #5
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Mike, Dave, mule, thanks for the shares.

Old guy once told me, "Joe the quickest way to ruin your fishing was to wager money on the results!"

I bet him he was wrong.

But how ANYONE could feel good about a dishonest win or for that matter, act.
Is way beyond ME.
Anglers thanks again.
Tried organizing a 3 man tourney followed by a rib cookoff last year.
Never happened. I think they were scared ; )

Looks a lil more promising this year.
We've aded another buddy to the list and we're hopin to hold 2 of em.
2 of us live in Benzie County and 2 in Manistee County.

Leanin towards Otter Lake in Benzie and Manistee River Backwaters in Manistee County

Worst thing is, it's gonna be realy hard to win the rib cookoff with the addition of our 4th ; (

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.