Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-28-14, 09:11 PM   #1
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Question About Fishing Guides

Me and my buddies have been with a bass guide several times and also once with a speck guide. The bass guide always takes us to a different spot and we immediately start catching bass. Trips have produced from 17 to 54. Two months later we go back to one of the same spots and can't get a bite, or maybe we catch four. So do you think the guide is feeding the fish to draw a crowd before taking us to the spot?
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-14, 12:19 AM   #2
mikechell

I've got a friend here, who is a good guide. I know he doesn't feed fish. He rarely has time to do anything but guide.
What he does do, is learn the area. Where he takes people, he knows every little nook and cranny of the structure and cover. He knows I won't go fish in his spots, so I've gone with him when he gets a chance to scout out new spots. He would spend the first hour on a new spot creeping along studying the depth finder. I would've had to take notes, but his mind is a steel trap.
Anyway, after he searched the area, he'd tell me where to drop a cast. If I did exactly what he told me ... I'd get a hit. Most of the time (and this was the only thing that would tick me off) he'd make me fish with barbless hooks and a rarely got a fish to the boat.
A good guide just knows where the fish are, I believe.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-14, 11:14 AM   #3
Thornback

Interesting observation and opinion. I really appreciate hearing from you. I agree a guide must know his craft or he wouldn't last as a guide. I also agree it would be tough for a guide to feed the fish. I'm envious he can find them so quickly and I can't so I'm looking for an excuse . I once heard a guy say a guide trimmed the tail fin and removed one pectoral fin from a 10 pound bass so the bass could only swim in a circle. Then the guide would take his clients to the spot and they would catch the 10 pound bass.
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 10:09 AM   #4
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

How do you get to the Metropolitan Opera??

Practice practice practice..

Capt Mike
Old 12-01-14, 10:46 AM   #5
mikechell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
How do you get to the Metropolitan Opera??

Practice practice practice..

Capt Mike

Actually, I just buy a ticket.
Old 12-01-14, 12:09 PM   #6
MIbasser

I'm going with a big no. Based on the lakes we have here in Michigan, you have to spend time on the water. I know a guide on LSC and he spends pretty much all day from April-Aug finding fish. He finds a way to put his clients on fish. But it's called fishing, not catching.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 10:30 AM   #7
joedog

One thing that amazed me about the multiple guides I know is they can REALLY READ thier electronics.

They see things I don't.
I see a rock....they see it's actually a fish.

I asked one of them if he actually spent time on the water using electronics without fishing just to understand the screens better?
He said no but while out with clients....basically thats all he does is watch the electronics.
Says he actually at times sees the clients catch the rock...fish and pull it in.
It amazes me how well they can read the electronics.
Old 12-03-14, 03:04 PM   #8
mikechell

Yeah, Joe. I've had my guide buddy, Steve, tell me my lure was a few inches to the (right/left/above/below) of my target.
I've told him he's full of crap several times. But if I make the correction on my next cast, I hook a fish.
I've tried to see my anchor as I lower it into the water, and I must admit, I am about 50 percent accurate on that.
Old 12-03-14, 09:51 PM   #9
lilmule

Nobass told me he went out with a guide who teaches like how to read electronics many do,he says can see a crayfish at times.As for being on the spot schoolers move around be on one ledge for a day gone the next,and some spots aare only good certain times of year.I have one can load the boat with spots easily until nov 1st to second week of they disappear until march,this year we had a cold snap in oct and they left early,and even though it got warm again never came back,but they will next spring all summer long till again its rollover time.
It is however to a guides credit he can relocate them or find another pod to take its place.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 10:20 PM   #10
nobass

like most have said these guys study topo maps. use there knowledge on how to read he lake so they are fishing in the 10% areas. if you what to use a guide dont't get one that does multi species. thy class i took r&k bass out of ky dam. if anyone is interested pm me i will give you info.i also bought wilson fraiser'S 4 CD ON HOW TO USE YOUR ELECTRONIS BOTH SONAR AND RADAR. (sorry hit cap lock). best 100 dollars i ever spent.he really breaks in down and you have the cds to keep going back to. also you can call or email him if you can't figure somthing out when you are on the water. the more time you spend on your lake the better you will become on located and understand fish patterns. that will help when you fish new lakes.
Old 12-04-14, 03:53 AM   #11
joedog

nobass,
is that cd kit for understanding both Lowrance and Hummingbird?
I have Humingbird 798 on my kayak.
I checked on it earlier and thought it was just explaining the Lowrance.
Old 12-04-14, 07:42 AM   #12
nobass

yes it teaches how to read your graphs he uses lowerance but it can be used on all units. send me your address. i will mail 101 so you can check it out before you go all in

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.