Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-18-15, 11:45 AM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Ooops I did it again.

For the second time in the last few years I let a fish impale me with a treble hook past the barb. This one went in at the first joint from the tip of my middle finger on my left hand. It may have hit bone. Hurt like crazy. I was able to slit the skin near the barb with a knife before yanking it out with my pliers. I thought the guy I was fishing with was going to freak out.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 01:37 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

ouch. Keep your dang hands away from the hooks. Stimulate the economy a little and buy a set of pliers and a Boga Grip. I have been lucky so far but I keep my hands away from a treble bait in a fish's mouth.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 03:22 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't understand making a small puncture wound into a larger cut. Just man up and snatch that hook out without cutting a bigger wound into your finger.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 12:25 AM   #4
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I don't understand making a small puncture wound into a larger cut. Just man up and snatch that hook out without cutting a bigger wound into your finger.
I just slit the skin where the barb was so it came out easier. Still took a good amount of force to get it out.
Old 05-19-15, 12:28 AM   #5
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
ouch. Keep your dang hands away from the hooks. Stimulate the economy a little and buy a set of pliers and a Boga Grip. I have been lucky so far but I keep my hands away from a treble bait in a fish's mouth.
It only takes a second of carelessness to get hooked. I do use my pliers to remove the hook most of the time.
Old 05-19-15, 06:46 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds very painful. I drove a hook into my finger a couple years ago past the barb. I was able to push it the rest of the way through and snip off the barb for removal. It must have been a very sharp hook, because it didn't hurt nearly as much as I was expecting pushing the hook on through and out the other side.
Old 05-19-15, 08:36 AM   #7
Thornback

My fishing buddy got me with a treble when he made an errant cast and knocked my cap off. I reached up to grab my cap and he jerked back on the rod. That resulted in two hooks in my thumb, both past the barb. I cut the hooks from the lure and used needle nose pliers to pull out the hooks. It took a few minutes of pulling and turning before the hooks came out. But I was determined I wasn't going to the ER. I can still hear the bass in my live well laughing
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 12:15 PM   #8
AUFred

Ouch on the double hook
Old 05-19-15, 12:33 PM   #9
OkobojiEagle

I don't fish competitively against other fishermen so I can afford to fish barbless... this also makes it more competitive between me and the bass.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.