Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 10-26-08, 08:45 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Her first and last frog fishing trip

I got up this morning to head out to a local pond that is a favorite of mine. The pond is not big and it is covered with weeds and muck. I call it my frog pond because, with the exception of a few holes in the muck, that is all you can really use.
My wife, God bless her, decided that she would accompany me on this trip. I was very excited about the idea of fishing with my wife. It is something she has only done twice in the 10 years we have been together. My bride is very much a city girl who thinks roughing it means not having a starbucks at the resort.
After about 20 minutes of instruction, it became obvious that the best plan was for me to cast the bait caster and allow her to reel it in. I had no issues with this course of action and knew that it would be less time consuming than working out any backlash she may create.
It was easy for me to tell when she had an explosion on the frog. Her "make your ears bleed" shrieks gave it away. After watching this happen a couple of times, I attempted to explain the value of a hook set. I will say that this was the only concept of fishing she appears to understand. This was evident by the velocity of the frog as it approached my head TWICE!
I know for a fact that the thought going through my mind was "you need to be patient my love, you can't just jerk the rod" While that may have been my thoughts, it apparently did not equal the words that came out of my mouth. After 15 minutes of saying I am sorry, I convinced her that we should stay for a little while longer.
This time I put my rod away and stood by her, keeping a firm hand on the rod she was using. Helping remind her of the need to keep the tip low until she felt the actual pull on the line. With our new plan in affect we proceeded to lose the next strike because the fish simply did not get frog deep enough in it's mouth.
She was not discouraged and I felt a sense of pride that the miss brought out her competitive spirit. I could tell that for the first time, she really wanted to catch a fish.
I was practically day dreaming of she and I on a boat, fishing in a couples tourney when I heard the explosion. My bride gripped the rod and prepped to set the hook. Since I could tell she had this under control I released the rod and simply watched the love of my life with her first bass. Her hook set was perfect. For the first time in her life, she had a fish on.
Since I was confident that the rod, reel, and braid would support this effort, I chose not to explain the drag or the need to play the fish a little before horsing it into the shore.
She was doing quite well and even yelled with excitement as the fish did it's tail walk. It was great to see her first bass just feet from the shore. I told her to stop reeling once the fish was close enough that I could reach it with the net. I scooped it up and I am not sure which of us was smiling more. I was certain that asking my wife to hold the fish was more than she could handle so I reached into the net and pulled it out. It was a nice fish, just shy of 2 lbs. I held it up for her to admire and was showing her how to remove a hook. She had gotten much closer to this fish than any fish in her life.
It was then that the fish flicked its tail. I guess she was not expecting it to do anything once it was landed. For reasons I still can not explain, she felt inclined to set the hook once more. (please note, I had my thumb firmly in the mouth of the bass at this point and was removing the second hook on the spro frog) Yep, she firmly hooked my left thumb. This time, there was nothing nice about my thoughts, and I did not even attempt to censor the emotion I was feeling. My wife was able to understand that pulling the rod inflicted more pain on me and figured the best thing would be to get the rod away from her hands. She accomplished the feat by tossing my rod and reel into the pond and sitting down to cry.
On a bright note, the fish was released unharmed. Additionally, when we got home, I was able to teach my son how a hook can be pushed through the flesh to have the barb pinched or cut.
The down side...my wife has informed me that she will NEVER fish again. Part of me is sad, but my thumb is grateful.
Old 10-26-08, 09:49 PM   #2
Rodman_Rob

lol, great story. glad your wife got to a hookup......errrr......2 hookups
Old 10-26-08, 10:19 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

Great story, cassidy. Hope you're up on your tetanus shots, though.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 11:14 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

FANTASTIC STORY!!! this is to the mrs. ok? DON'T GIVE UP !!!! he'll be okay, i promise. now you go out there and get you another one girl!! great job of "teaching" her buddy. once you put your rod down and actually helped her,lol. believe me when i say this....when you get your wife into fishing, there is NOTHING like it. and if you can convince her to learn different lures and such, it'll be a great time spent with your family. the WHOLE family. so please mrs cassidyta, go again. it gets better each and every time you go. and after you learn a few things, you won't hook the mr anymore, you'll probably hook yourself though. mine did. lmao. she was really a trooper about it too. i was more worried than her to be honest. so go out there and get them sow bellys. i need another mrs to out fish her hubby like mine does, hahahahahaha. then i won't feel so bad. hahahahahahahahahahaha.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 02:39 AM   #5
islandbass

Excellent story. At least the pain on your thumb will go away soon. Loved the starbucks line, being a Seattleite.
Old 10-27-08, 08:50 AM   #6
woody

Cassidy, My compliments to you on your story telling, but man your gonna have to work on those emotions.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 11:34 AM   #7
Bob Smith

Great story! Now you need to tell her that YOU should've taken the rod from her to remove the hook from the fish, and it was not her fault. You certainly want her to relish that fantastic moment of the fish blowing up on that frog and not dwell on your sore thumb! lol
Old 10-27-08, 12:20 PM   #8
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

on the bright side, at least the line was still attatched to your hand when that rod went in the drink....
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 12:21 PM   #9
MississippiBoy

Bright side? I bet that hurt like a MOTHER...again...LOL
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 12:45 PM   #10
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
At least the pain on your thumb will go away soon.
. . . but as for the one that was self-inflicted . . .
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 01:51 AM   #11
Repoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry to here about the Spro.
Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 02:08 AM   #12
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
Sorry to here about the Spro.
I am happy to report the spro is okay. I pinched the barb rather than cut the hook. I have a few places here that require barbless so it worked out okay.
Old 10-28-08, 11:53 AM   #13
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great story.Thanks for sharing
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 01:41 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
FANTASTIC STORY!!! this is to the mrs. ok? DON'T GIVE UP !!!! he'll be okay, i promise. now you go out there and get you another one girl!! great job of "teaching" her buddy. once you put your rod down and actually helped her,lol. believe me when i say this....when you get your wife into fishing, there is NOTHING like it. and if you can convince her to learn different lures and such, it'll be a great time spent with your family. the WHOLE family. so please mrs cassidyta, go again. it gets better each and every time you go. and after you learn a few things, you won't hook the mr anymore, you'll probably hook yourself though. mine did. lmao. she was really a trooper about it too. i was more worried than her to be honest. so go out there and get them sow bellys. i need another mrs to out fish her hubby like mine does, hahahahahaha. then i won't feel so bad. hahahahahahahahahahaha.
i couldn't agree more. great story but man you should do everything you can to get her to go back with you. i can completley understand the "emotion" when you got stuck, i wouldn't have been much different i am sure. but i have a lot of fishing buddies and not a one of them compare to fishing with my wife.
Old 10-28-08, 02:33 PM   #15
cassidyta

I have not given up on seeing her out there again. Right now she has no interest, but the look in her eye when she had the fish on tells me that she may go once more. I am not pushing the issue this week, but I will encourage it as time passes.
Old 10-28-08, 02:37 PM   #16
Earl Marshall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Or until the thumb heals LOL
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 02:38 PM   #17
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you may want to think about protection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gloves.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2789  
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 06:39 PM   #18
bamabassman

hahaha lowrider i LIKE THAT!! maybe i can get some fer the mrs? hehehehe. ok,ok, i'll stop now. don't say it zooker, lmao.
Old 10-28-08, 06:40 PM   #19
bamabassman

oh yea cassidyta. did your wife read the pm i sent?
Old 10-28-08, 09:30 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Good story man, I'm sure you'll get her out fishing again.

BB
Old 10-28-08, 11:03 PM   #21
Jim80

thanks for the laugh man I needed that , and you'll get her out again .

Jim
Old 10-29-08, 12:50 AM   #22
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
oh yea cassidyta. did your wife read the pm i sent?
She read it Bama, I sent it via an e-mail. I appreciate what you said. I will let you guys know if and when we go back again.
Old 10-30-08, 08:15 AM   #23
Captmikestarrett

That was great..

Thanks

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.