Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-27-10, 07:03 PM   #1
IS300n8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IS300n8
Default New yamaha SHO

I just wanted to say DAMN I went out on a new ranger z521 today with the new SHO 250 on the back. If anyone is thinking about getting a new boat I definatly recommend this motor. The power out of the hole is insane. Stock with nothing done to the boat we were doing 72 mph.. and the fx21 with a SHO 250 that was in front of us managed to hit 74 mph.. WOW that was a fun ride, would have been nice if it wasnt 45 degrees though hahaha
IS300n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 08:13 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I can only imagine what that kind of power feels like
Old 03-29-10, 07:46 AM   #3
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

my uncle tested them and said they were just awsome, said can't even tell they are running so smooth quiet, then he had to test the new merc and laughed when they started it for him, after he drove the sho and got into the merc he thought it was blown up, it was noisy, shook the boat at idle, he just said all around bad. he had the new e-tech and is gona try to order the sho by years end
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:22 AM   #4
nofearengineer

Which "new Merc," twigass?

I have looked at the specs for the SHO Yamaha, and it does indeed look pretty great. I am going to say once again however, that top speed is not a relevant issue here. A 250hp outboard will push a bass boat to a certain speed, no matter what manufacturer made it. As long as the companies are reporting their horsepower numbers accurately, i.e. a 250hp outboard isn't actually 260, a Merc and a Yamaha will have the same top speed.

Hole shot is a valid comparison. Engine weight and torque certainly come into play here, as they affect how quickly a boat will get to top speed. Again, I am very curious what Merc it was compared to. The SHO is an insanely expensive unit, and to compare it so something that costs 40% less would be unfair.
Old 03-30-10, 09:52 PM   #5
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

not sure which 1 it was, all i know is he laughed when he got in the boat with the merc. i'm not 1 to judge, 1 because i don't have the money for a new 1, and 2 i have had my share of bad luck with motors, johnson, merc i don't think it matters but i do know that the new yamaha is the motor to be beat. he also said that the yamaha was twice as fast outa the hole as the merc top end only a few miles an hour it was comparable to the evinrude but again top end was better.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 12:07 AM   #6
RussB
BassFishin.Com Member

Im not sure as to where the 40% difference in price is between the SHO and Merc? Are you comparing them on a certain boat. Cuz I sell them both and the difference is not even close to 40%.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 08:13 AM   #7
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
Im not sure as to where the 40% difference in price is between the SHO and Merc? Are you comparing them on a certain boat. Cuz I sell them both and the difference is not even close to 40%.
You obviously don't read very well, Russ. I don't know which Merc he's comparing it to...that's the whole point. Was it a comparably priced one, or was it one that costs 40% less? Yes, I'm sure Merc has an outboard that costs just as much as the SHO....but they also have ones that cost 40% less.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.