Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-10, 11:21 PM   #1
Nitro 640
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass/ski boat

Ok, the wife said I can get a new or newer boat!!!
Yes, a good thing. But, but here is the thing, has to be a fish and ski boat. Says its for the kids but I know she wants to lay out on the back and so on.

So my question is what fish and ski boats are best setup for bass fishing?
I know I will be fishing out of it most of the time, so want something that is more fish then ski.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 12:31 AM   #2
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well I love my 2002 Glastron 17' SX170 SF! Have a few pics w/my profile.
It has a 55# bow mount Minkota TM, live well and tackle stow in the rear. Seats in the open bow reverse to carpet, a platform drops in and pedestals put the rear seats up front and rear for fishing. Newer ones have on-board rod storage, mine does not. A large 'trunk' storage space for gear, snap on pads over carpet for sun bathing and a fold down ladder for swimming.
I have a Mercury 90HP oil injected OB which performs very well but idles a bit raspy and some would say 90hp is too weak to pull a fat boy up on skis - can't say, haven't tried it. Fully loaded, WOT is a bit over 5000 rpm producing a mere 40mph. Can say that the chines on the SSV hull get her up on plane at less than 4000rpm, about 25-28mph. Other downside compared to a bass boat is that it has a 3' draft, although trimmed up, I've been in less than 3' of water. Point being that if you routinely fish the lilly pads in 12" of water, you'd need to get out and push my boat - lol. I've had her out alone a few times fishing and it was great....but has also been real nice with the girls for boat rides and fishing. They love it too.
Old 01-10-10, 02:44 PM   #3
1FASTLASER

Ok I dont want to open a can of worms but an all out bass boat can handle double duty as a ski rig if rigged properly. Main thing about the combo units is they have windsheilds and usually storage for ski stuff. The back deck of most boats is big enough for a gal to sun on. Just a little FYI for ya to think about.
The main other difference is in the hull design. Combo units have a different hull design that leans more to the ski side.........all depends on what ya want.
Old 01-10-10, 07:32 PM   #4
Bender

Why not an Allison XB21 BasSport 2+2. Gives you seating for four while still a bass boat.
http://www.allisonboats.com/bass_boa...port_index.php

only downside might be initial cost.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 07:50 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
only downside might be initial cost.
I'm trying to imagine how much extra if they would build it out of formed aluminum.

Man, that is a beautiful boat....
Old 01-10-10, 11:34 PM   #6
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Skeeter's 21 fish/ski is a nice and roomy and fishes well..The smaller boats lack fishing space.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 04:08 PM   #7
walkeraviator

Here I am resurrecting dead threads again...

My Dad and I fish out of a 96 Stratos 278FS. It really is great in every aspect except Rod storage. The in floor storage holds a hell of a lot of rods, but they tangle easily. Also be warned...F/S type boats have large windshields that act like sails on a windy day...

I do wish his front casting deck had more room, but the rear deck has all teh foot space i could ask for...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 06:42 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Walker, check out BOB SMITH'S rod storage thread. He has a great set up. Just look up his name (bob smith) and look for his threads.. You'll find it. takes a little time...but worth it. I am gonna do mine like his when i get my shop built.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.