Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-08, 03:04 PM   #1
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fluorocarbon line ?

I have been searching old threads for a couple days now and still have a few questions . I plan on using fluoro on a spinning reel for wieghtless palstics and a dropshot setup . My main question comes down to should i use the fluoro as a leader only or can I get away with spooling the whole reel with it, most of the older threads said it was a problem to cast in a baitcasting setup but not many mentioned a spinning setup . Thanks in advance for any replies .

Jim
Old 08-07-08, 04:13 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
I have been searching old threads for a couple days now and still have a few questions . I plan on using fluoro on a spinning reel for wieghtless palstics and a dropshot setup . My main question comes down to should i use the fluoro as a leader only or can I get away with spooling the whole reel with it, most of the older threads said it was a problem to cast in a baitcasting setup but not many mentioned a spinning setup . Thanks in advance for any replies .

Jim
you can spool a spinning reel with flourocarbon, i do it a lot. it actually is easier to cast flouro on a baitcasting reel than on a spinning reel but if you keep a few things in mind it is not much of a problem at all on spinning gear. first off the larger the spool is on a spinning reel the fewer problems you will have with line twist (line twist is one of the main "problems" with flourocarbon line). and second, don't skimp on flourocarbon line because it can be a recipe for disaster. i prefer seaguar invizx, it isn't a cheap line but considering it last much longer than mono really the price isn't too bad. whatever brand you decide to go with make sure it is a high quality line because your cheaper flourocarbons tend to be much worse about memory and twist. one exception is vicious flourocarbon, a little cheaper than seaguar and still a good line from what i hear. anyways i know you didn't ask for all this information but i still thought it may help you out, or anyways i hope it did.
Old 08-07-08, 04:30 PM   #3
Jim80

thanks c-rig the more info the better imo
Old 08-07-08, 04:46 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

Just my .02, but fluorocarbon is more invisible, but tends to be more brittle, have more coil memory and get tempermental in temperature extremes. Why not just use it as a leader with either monofilament or braided line behind it on the spool.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 06:10 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Just my .02, but fluorocarbon is more invisible, but tends to be more brittle, have more coil memory and get tempermental in temperature extremes. Why not just use it as a leader with either monofilament or braided line behind it on the spool.
as long as you check your line often for knicks and spots that are frayed you won't have any issues with it being brittle......again this is assuming you are using a good flourocarbon line. i like flouro over mono with a flouro leader for several reasons but the biggest two are the visability issues which you mentioned but it has very little stretch which means a lot on hooksets especially on longer casts. a flouro leader isn't a bad deal by anymeans so don't get me wrong, but i prefer spooling with flouro myself.
Old 08-07-08, 09:34 PM   #6
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
the more info the better imo
No. The more info, the more complicated things become.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 10:10 PM   #7
Bender

I use mostly fluoro line on spinning and casting reels without too many problems. I like Halo best because it seems more soft than others. I like the Seaguar too because I think it stronger, but it seems less supple. That is the Carbon Pro, I have not found the Invisix in my local stores yet.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 07:57 AM   #8
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Jim80,

If I may; I'd recommend that you not waste money or run the risks associated with fluoro that has become kinked because a loose coil of line on your spin reel resulted in an eagle's condo about the third guide up. If, indeed, your primary applications for the rig are as stated, there is no need for fluoro in the first place.
After years of experimentation I arrived at braid for dropshotting and add a pure fluoro leader of an initial length of 6-8 feet. I have used the same combo of line and leader for weightless worm, soft sticks, etc. with quite satisfactory results, judging by sensitivity and positive hooksetting.
You needn't worry about braid's tendency to float in weightless presentations because the pure fluoro (P-Line CFX Leader Material) leader will sink readily.
Note too that using fluoro exclusively will prove to be an expensive approach. Braid will not kink, casts far more smoothly and further, and will rarely need replacement.
Why not try this; After using some old mono for backing, spool on about a maximum cast's worth, plus another 5 yards or so, of a high-quality braid in 20 test. The use of the fluoro leader will also allow you to use a hi-visibility braid...Yellow or Orange, and that will often prove very advantageous. Note that fluoro is VERY low-vis...won't even glow under UV when nightfishing (Unless you employ a little trick I came up with. I'll reveal it if anyone asks.)
If you simply must use other than braid, then why not try the P-Line FloroClear (no "u").
It's a high-end mono with a fluoro sheath. Result? Lower visibility to the phish, very durable, and FAR less cantankerous and expensive than straight fluoro.
With the FloroClear you won't need to add a leader for any application.
Think it over.

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 08:02 AM   #9
Jim80

Thanks L6 well written and informative as always .
Old 08-08-08, 08:11 AM   #10
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Just a thought.....

I've been using mono line called Excel from Bass Pro Shops for sometime now and have been very pleased with the results. It's tuff, low stretch and quite abrasion resistant. It has a good castability and is very inexpensive. I cast weightless plastics a lot using the Excel 6 lb.... It's about 9 bucks for 1500 yards.....and am keeping the line in the fridge until it's time to re-spool.

I tried Excel after being birdsnested many times on a spinning rig with fluoro.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 10:14 AM   #11
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Just a thought.....
and am keeping the line in the fridge until it's time to re-spool.
Now why are you doing that? Do you think the Nylon (plastic) used to make that fishline is gonna stay fresher, longer that way?
Old 08-08-08, 11:27 AM   #12
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Now why are you doing that? Do you think the Nylon (plastic) used to make that fishline is gonna stay fresher, longer that way?

In fact, it WILL. Heat and UV rays are the natural enemies of mono (and cofilaments). Braid is apparently immune, save for rapid fading of color.
At the very least line, including that already spooled on reels, should be kept in the home...NOT the garage, under the coolest possible conditions during warm weather.
If the missus carps about rods in the house just take the reels inside and leave the rods in the garage. However, you should know that the guide warps will fair better in the house as well.

L6
Old 08-09-08, 04:40 AM   #13
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I use mostly fluoro line on spinning and casting reels without too many problems. I like Halo best because it seems more soft than others. I like the Seaguar too because I think it stronger, but it seems less supple. That is the Carbon Pro, I have not found the Invisix in my local stores yet.

I used both and can happily tell you Invizx is nothing like Carbon Pro in the limpness department. I use 6# invizx and I can tell you that it will be more like XL mono in terms of its limpness.
Old 08-09-08, 11:35 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Jim, it depends on the line. I've tried a lot of fluoros and really like Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon. I haven't tried Invisx but have heard nothing but good things about it. Carbon Pro is good line for a baitcaster, bit is too stiff IMO for spinning gear. Vanish, while is not good as a main line makes a surprisingly good leader. I use it almost exclusively as a C-rig leader.

Braid with a fluoro leader is also a good choice.
Old 08-10-08, 10:09 AM   #15
bamabassman

now that is new to me too. never thought about keeping my mono in da fridge. it really helps? not a joke like putting batteries in the frezzer. i am serious, cause, i have been keeping all my mono in my boat. but after a month it seems to form a curl that won't straighten out. is this because of the heat and stuff?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 02:00 PM   #16
Abbeysdad

Excessive heat, moisture and/or direct exposure to (UV) sunlight can cause a property shift in monofilament - with a loss in tensile strength and an increase in elongation @ break. Shrinkage is affected too, but not really an issue with fishline.

The biggest reason for these changes relate to the process - monofilament strength is achieved through an annealing or drawing process with a draw ratio of approximately 4.8 (usually in two stages - picture 3 rolls turning at 100, 350, and 480rpm with ovens in between). This causes molecular alignment in chains along the length of the fiber making it stronger - as strength increases, elongation (stretch) decreases. Generally, more draw increases the strength.

With time, temperature, humidity and other extremes, the fiber tends to relax back (think of a rubber band, just tougher). This relax decreases tensile strength and increases elongation (stretchability).

Keeping the filament dry and away from temperature extremes and sunlight will extend the life by reducing the shift in property changes over time.

(I've spent 30+ years working in a monofilament extrusion plant.)
Old 08-10-08, 02:05 PM   #17
bamabassman

thanks abbysdad. great info there pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 11:34 AM   #18
Lancer6

Thumbs up

A's D,

GREAT info!
Thanks.

L6

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.