Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-08, 01:35 PM   #1
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Concerning hooks and soft plastics.

I'm never really sure if the hook i'm using is to big or small for the bait i'm using.Is there a "rule of thumb" or some such that yall use to determine which is best?
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 01:49 PM   #2
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

A lot of today's soft plastics come with hook size recommendations, but it all depends on the size of the bait your throwing...my own rule of thumb, if it's longer than 3" go with a 3/0 or larger, whatever your more comfortable with..of course it depends on the fish your chasin too..smallies will be hard to set with larger hooks and you'll need to size down a bit...it will take a little practice, but if I was to give you some advice..pick up a hook sharpening tool (Wally world sells a daimond pen style in the camping section for about $5) and keep your hooks sharp!!
Old 02-15-08, 01:55 PM   #3
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the advice Jason.I'm going to head to walmart after work anyway so i'll check them out.
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 03:39 PM   #4
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Make sure you get Gamakatsu or Owner hooks!

-Lunk-
Old 02-15-08, 11:36 PM   #5
pbruessow@msn.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

Another thing to check for is the gage of the hook i.e. the thickness of the wire used to make the hook. For flippin,pitching use the heavier gage wire.

For carolina rigs or spinning rigs with lighter lines (Senko or tubes) use a finer wire as it can penetrate the basses tougher tissues with less force Spinning and carolina rigs have considerable line stretch, therefore less force is produced with the hook set unless a braid is used.
Old 02-15-08, 11:39 PM   #6
Fish4food
BassFishin.Com Member

The smaller diameter plastics I use 2/0 or 3/0. Larger diameter like Senko brand worms, I use 3/0 or 4/0. SwimSenko's, lizards, and other full body plastics I use an 5/0. All EWG, and all X-point. I like to use a sharp hook.
Fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.