Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-10, 11:53 PM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Non-target species.

Normally I would not think of a crappie as a non-target species, however it was the last thing on my mind at the place I was fishing. The Rodman dam & reservoir is known for monster catfish. A guy pulled in a 20 pounder while we were there. While I don't think my reel could handle one that big I was hoping for a cat in the 10-15 pound range. I didn't even get a nibble.

The shiner came tonight at my main lake. I have never caught one before. I actually got two, but I let the first one go with out a pic. I was using corn nibs, a small hook, and a bobber.

I saved a spincast rod & reel with a broken tip from the trash and put a new tip on it, and was really just playing with the bluegills, but I got a neat surprise with the shiners!
Old 08-11-10, 09:18 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've caught shinners, before too, used'ed them suckers for bait!

I've also caught bluegill, gar, catfish, bowfin, snake heads, snook, and small tarpon, all fishing for bass! The funnest of them would be the tarpon, they jump awesome when they're real little (15, 16 inches).
Old 08-11-10, 11:59 AM   #3
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I know this is a bass fishing site, but catching any fish is better than catching none - or worse yet, going out and not even getting a bite. I was out last Saturday and couldn't find any fish. It was so bad I thought my sonar was broken. The fish were just hangin out in some other part of the lake, likely laughin at the fisherman's folly.
Old 08-12-10, 12:38 AM   #4
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You Florida guys are lucky having those different species. I've heard you guys talk about those snakeheads and didnt know what they were until i watched the river monsters. Those things sound fun!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 01:56 AM   #5
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I've caught shinners, before too, used'ed them suckers for bait!

I've also caught bluegill, gar, catfish, bowfin, snake heads, snook, and small tarpon, all fishing for bass! The funnest of them would be the tarpon, they jump awesome when they're real little (15, 16 inches).
I have caught a lot of different species. Many of those you mentioned. I guess I never used the right combo of tackle and bait for shiners. I have never used corn before last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
I know this is a bass fishing site, but catching any fish is better than catching none - or worse yet, going out and not even getting a bite. I was out last Saturday and couldn't find any fish. It was so bad I thought my sonar was broken. The fish were just hangin out in some other part of the lake, likely laughin at the fisherman's folly.
I love catching everything. I get a real thrill when I pull up something I wasn't expecting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post
You Florida guys are lucky having those different species. I've heard you guys talk about those snakeheads and didnt know what they were until i watched the river monsters. Those things sound fun!
We have tons of fun fish here, but so do you guys. Do some research on the species you guys have up there and how to catch them. I think you'd be surprised.

SH's have been sighted and caught in the great lakes, so I know y'all have crazy fish up there too.
Old 08-12-10, 02:20 AM   #6
basshunter21

I appreciate having lake erie within .25mile of my house, but your kinda limited to species when you dont have a boat at least IMO. I should be getting a yak soon tho. Id love to live in florida for the fishing, but its to damn hot down there. Its been to hot this summer even up here.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 02:29 AM   #7
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshunter21 View Post
I appreciate having lake erie within .25mile of my house, but your kinda limited to species when you dont have a boat at least IMO. I should be getting a yak soon tho. Id love to live in florida for the fishing, but its to damn hot down there. Its been to hot this summer even up here.
It is hot all right. I used to live in Michigan, and I loved it up there. The bass were not as big, but they fought twice as hard!
Old 08-12-10, 07:07 AM   #8
walkeraviator

It was hotter in Kentucky on Monday than it was when i got to Miami that day...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 01:31 PM   #9
Ground Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
It is hot all right. I used to live in Michigan, and I loved it up there. The bass were not as big, but they fought twice as hard!
Living in Michigan has been a primary reason I enjoy fishing as much as I do. I'm in a suburb of Detroit, and I am literally just 45 minutes from any freshwater species I want to fish, whether it's bass, crappie, sunfish, trout, walleye, cats, salmon, perch, pike, musky, or any plethora of hard-fightin' "garbage" fish...

... and I don't even own a boat yet!
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 01:41 PM   #10
Abbeysdad

I remember a time in my youth that I used to consider suckers and carp worthless !@it fish. Then one day in the East branch of the Tioughnioga river, I hooked into several 18" heavy carp. Now the little stocked trout in the river would just reel in like they're hardly there. But these carp were like tanks and would run up and down river, fighting for all they were worth. You had to play them real careful on light spinning tackle to get them in. Still to this day, that was the best day fishing I think I've ever had. Wish I could bottle excitment like that!
Old 08-13-10, 07:19 PM   #11
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

next time you catch a shiner, take a 5 ought hook and throw it back in! that thang will catch a big ol fat hawg fer ya man. hahaha!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.