Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-16-22, 08:54 AM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Anyone else like ultralight fishing?

Using light baits you are likely to catch a lot of different fish. A decent size fish on 4# test is always fun.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 04:16 AM   #2
senkosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Using light baits you are likely to catch a lot of different fish. A decent size fish on 4# test is always fun.
No doubt the most productive way to catch more fish including some decent size fish! For years I was strictly a bass angler, casting large heavier lures. I did well, no complaints. But after having days where I only caught less than 20 bass, I figured there's got to be more to fishing than just bass and the bass tournaments I fished. Enter the world of lure-making and modifying smaller lures.

Spinning and spincast reels have come a long way since the first Zebco I cast as a kid. Both reels are the only way to cast lures weighing less than 1/8 oz. Light line (8# test braid) allows the best lure action at the slowest retrieves yet almost zero breaks as with mono.

Light jig/ soft plastic rigs get all kinds of fish to strike - from 4 lb bass to 4" panfish. 130 fish days are not uncommon. In fact, I caught 241 fish from the same lake this last week between two days. Bass and panfish sizes were surprising on the upside and more strikes/hook sets per hour very satisfying.

I doubt I'll go back to casting strictly heavier lures any time soon. Lure variety in shape, size and action got me hooked!
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 12:24 PM   #3
AUFred

I fish a lot of clear or near clear water the lighter lines & lures offer the opportunity to bend the rod. Some large panfish pull much harder than expected. I have caught bass up to 7 pounds on 6 pound test monofilament & up to 5 pounds on 4 pound test. Fun to catch no matter the size on light tackle.
Old 08-26-22, 02:36 AM   #4
senkosam

We are on the same page. Too bad we are the few that get a thrill seeing the rod bend only to see it was a 3" bass or 18 pound carp - both pleasant surprises.
Old 08-27-22, 06:39 PM   #5
AUFred

I went this morning. The largest bass I caught was around a pound but was on a #3 lined flyrod. Caught several fish on 4 pound test as well. Caught around 25 in 3 hours..
Old 09-30-22, 08:59 PM   #6
senkosam

It's not the line breaking that has me concerned when using thin diameter braid. It's the thin-diameter hooks straightening out that are on my light jigs. The braid I use is Kastking and very strong even at 8 lb test/ 6lb diameter. I can pull my 12' boat to a snag it's that strong. But thin wire hooks don't do so well when trying to get a fish out of heavy vegetation. Never fly-fished but can imagine the fight from a 2 lb bass on a fly rod!
Old 10-02-22, 02:54 PM   #7
AUFred

Light tackle whether ultralight or flyfishing is enjoyable even in small bodies of water. I understand the straightened hook situation. Builders of light lures tend to use light wire hooks to cut weight. I have straightened my share of hooks even worm hooks on heavier gear.
Old 10-29-22, 06:04 PM   #8
senkosam

You been using braid on ul rods/reels?
Old 10-30-22, 03:53 PM   #9
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by senkosam View Post
You been using braid on ul rods/reels?
I only use monofilament. I have never tried braid on any of my rods. I suppose I have too many bad memories from braid in the 60's.
Old 11-20-22, 04:18 PM   #10
senkosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
I only use monofilament. I have never tried braid on any of my rods. I suppose I have too many bad memories from braid in the 60's.
Braid has come a long way! 8' test/ 5# diameter Kastking braid is my favorite line for spinning and baitcast reels. Some spincast reels do okay with it casting light lure 40', some not so much and I've gone back to using fluorocarbon or mono on those.
Braid is so strong that I can pull my row boat to a snag and get the lure back. Zero stretch, zero memory or line twist - makes mono the antique of fishing lines. Plus the small diameter allows light lures great action. Long-distance hook-sets and strike sensitivity are major advantages.

Last edited by senkosam; 11-20-22 at 04:26 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.