Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-10, 10:22 AM   #1
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass Pro Shops-Cabelas comparison....

I recently powder painted nearly 500 jigheads, some from Bass Pro and some from Cabelas. The Cabelas jigheads were excellent, having no flashing or roughness at the nose where the casting had been cut off. The Bass Pro jigs were messy both concerning flashing and the nose cut as well as dull gray compared to the shiny lead used by Cabelas. Bass Pro jigs are by Eagle Claw, Cabelas just has their name on theirs.

Cabelas also offers a couple different hook sizes in the sixteenth ounce as well as their other sized jigheads. For example, I just ordered 250 sixteenth ounce jigs with 1/0 hooks......great for finessing.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 04:47 PM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yeah... I shop BPS cuz i can go to their store and buy without shipping, but in my opinion, cabelas puts their name on better stuff....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 06:04 PM   #3
Ebbetsguy

They both do a great job. For the most part Cabelas has a wider selection for multi species, and their name brand stuff is really worth it, their hard baits are well built and catch fish! Their house rods are great also.
BPS does a better job with their house plastics ( the only sucky Cabelas products) and their house reels are more easily serviceable, and its easier to get the parts from BPS.Thier house rods are also well made, beter value when on sale, and more directed ( actions and power) to the pursuit of bass.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 08:01 PM   #4
walkeraviator

Does cabelas have a saltwater in house brand or fly fishing like BPS??? I would be interested in seein that stuff
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 08:23 PM   #5
Ebbetsguy

Thry have both. Just go to the site click onto Fly Fishing, go to Fishing then scroll down to on the left column you see SALTWATER FISHING. I have one of their Salt Striker Metal reels, and i use it for shore fishing, works great. Right under Slatwater is SALT WATER TACKLE, they have a decent selection
Old 08-17-10, 02:49 PM   #6
DaveW731

Default All-around vs. specialty

For all around selection and quality, the nod goes to Cabela's, IMO. However, BassPro didn't get their name by accident and I agree with Ebbetsguy and prefer BP for Bass-oriented products.
Ebbetsguy: If you don't mind, what part of Brooklyn? My son just moved there from Manhatten, but I don't remember his new address.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 06:17 PM   #7
Ebbetsguy

I was born on Court St downtown soon moved to Vanderbilt and St Marks, my dad had the neighborhood butcher/grocery shop, we were a long walk away from Ebbets, then to Flatbush, we had a family Pizza shop on Ave J then fisnally back down town. I am currently in NE PA and my goal is to be back home by winter. I miss Brooklyn, it's my favorite spot in the world
Old 08-18-10, 06:26 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have both a BPS and a Cabelas within 45 minutes of my home. When it coems to bass fishing supplies, BPS is much better supplied. Otherwise they are pretty similer except the BPS has an awsome restraunt, where as our Cabelas has a grosely overpriced deli.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 07:52 PM   #9
bassboogieman

BPS has the edge for FISHING tackle. Hunting supplies & clothing I like Cabella's a bit better. Aquariums are about equal, but the taxidermy mounts at Cabella's are worth the trip just to see them. I have 2 BPS within a hour's drive and Cabella's is about another 20 minutes away. I visit them 6 or seven times a year. Oh, and I have both their credit cards - I LOVE using the BPS card at Cabella's and vice-versa. LOL. Rewards program is very similiar.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 08:48 PM   #10
bcklash

I like BPS a little better, but just remember to support your small local tackle shops.
Old 08-18-10, 09:43 PM   #11
WatterBoy

I live about 3 miles from the Cabela's location that is just north of Owatonna, MN. You don't want to know how often I go there!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 03:55 PM   #12
dave0943

I shop online at both. I have to say that I like Cabela's jigs, Cabela's branded rods better. What really seals the deal for me is delivery. BP uses this smart post delivery that takes days longer to receive the order. Cabela's uses USPS, 3 days to my door. BP,
my last 2 orders took 5 and 7 days. Both had rods and reels. I sure wish I had either store local. Only big store I have is Gandar Mountain, a little over a hour away. My Gandar store isn't supplied well, prices are higher. I'd rather shop Walmart for terminal tackle, line, type stuff. I settle for paying shipping and shopping BP or Cabela's. I do shop my local bait shop for things I need right away. I'm kind of partial to doing so as I owned a bait, tackle and gun shop for nearly 9 years. I made ok money, but for the time I put in, not enough. I either had to expand to being a liquor, cigg and mini mart to make the bigger money or sell the house and shop. I sold it and went full time into house building. I will say, most of the bait shop owners work very hard for what they make.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 03:03 PM   #13
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think it all depends on the manufacturer that the store/company used to make those specific items.
I have rods/reels with BPS name that are obvious Shakespeare/Pflueger, and others with BPS name that are another manufacturer (I think shimano but I never compared them).
So they just contract the items out to the lowest bidder.
Only a few things are actually manufactured specific for either store, such as some frogs, some cranks and a few other minor things.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 02:26 PM   #14
DaveW731

Default BP/Gander

FWIW: Just ordered a bunch of Strike King's Caffeine Shad's from Bass Pro. $4.69, plus SH. Did so because couldn't find any at local Gander. Went to Gander last night, lo and behold: Caffeine Shads for $4.99. Lesson learned: Catalogs only save money with large orders.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 04:14 PM   #15
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

In my case it costs $6 in tolls just to go to and from the BPS in my area, so I tend to have the choice of $4 or more shipping or $6 toll...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 11:45 PM   #16
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
I recently powder painted nearly 500 jigheads, some from Bass Pro and some from Cabelas. The Cabelas jigheads were excellent, having no flashing or roughness at the nose where the casting had been cut off. The Bass Pro jigs were messy both concerning flashing and the nose cut as well as dull gray compared to the shiny lead used by Cabelas. Bass Pro jigs are by Eagle Claw, Cabelas just has their name on theirs.

Cabelas also offers a couple different hook sizes in the sixteenth ounce as well as their other sized jigheads. For example, I just ordered 250 sixteenth ounce jigs with 1/0 hooks......great for finessing.
I was actually thinking of painting some of my jigs because I don't like lead when it gets old. For some reason if I keep lead jigs in my bag they start to corrode and get all knarley. Do you think simple spray paint will work? Sounds like you got your painting down to a science.
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 10:33 AM   #17
Mac2

You can use hobby paint, the acrylic paints they carry at hobby stores and then overcoat them with a clear coat of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails or any other nail polish, just be sure to use the nail polish outside or near an exhaust fan because of the lacquer fumes......
If you get into powder painting, I think you end up with a much more durable jighead. I have a toaster oven in the garage near the exhaust fan venting out the window. I can't smell fumes when curing the powder paint, so I'm just being careful in the event that they are present but undetected.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.