Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-10, 12:01 PM   #1
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Need a GOOD reel mechanic

I've got an older Curado 101B that's in need of a new set of gears and a tune up. I sent this off earlier this year and had a guy redo completely (supposedly). It work pretty good for a couple weeks, and it is flat out not working well out all.

Anyway - I need suggestions on who to send this to.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 12:05 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com/main.html

http://delawarevalleytackle.com/

Either will do a great job to your reel.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 01:40 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

Hi CamG... what makes you think the gears have gone bad? Gears last an awful long time unless you've put this reel through some serious work. What is happening in terms of performance with this reel?
Old 08-30-10, 03:22 PM   #4
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Hi CamG... what makes you think the gears have gone bad? Gears last an awful long time unless you've put this reel through some serious work. What is happening in terms of performance with this reel?
Grinding/roughness on the retrieve. It still casts like a dream. I (like you) don't think it should be the gears, but everything else seems to be in good condition. There is some wear on the brass that I can see.

I bought this reel new in 2002, and I have put it through the paces.
Old 08-30-10, 05:32 PM   #5
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

This guy knows his stuff and is dependable.

http://www.proreelservice.com/
Old 08-30-10, 05:45 PM   #6
Tavery5

Cam, I have serviced and performed maintenance on reels for a number of years. I hope that I am not stepping on any toes, but in my experience there are a couple of other things that may be causing your problem. One of the first things that go bad on older reels and reels that have heavy usage is the pawl. It is easy to troubleshoot by just removing the cap and then removing the pawl. Once removed, crank the reel and see if it makes any difference. If that resolves your problem, be sure to clean and inspect the worm shaft for any sharp edges or unusual wear as well. Another item that has caused problems for Shimano users over the years are the plastic/synthetic idler gears, it only takes a very small defect in either one of these gears to produce your described problems. A good visual inspection, will tell you if that is what is going on. Last but not least, the 101B utilizes the Super Free Pinion design, meaning it has a frame mounted bearing. Allot of people overlook this bearing and in my opinion do not maintain in properly. If the other options fail, I suggest removing this bearing, throughly cleaning it in acetone, and then packing it in a light reel grease such as HOT SAUCE. This bearing does not directly effect casting, but does come in to play during the retrieve, since it is what supports the pinion. Again, these are just some common things that I have found for myself, and are only suggestions. If you want to discuss any of this in detail, please leave me a PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 05:50 PM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanley View Post
This guy knows his stuff and is dependable.

http://www.proreelservice.com/

The guys name is Kevin Rush, and he is in Wichita KS, only a few miles from me. He is well respected in this area.
Old 08-30-10, 07:23 PM   #8
Ebbetsguy

Kevin knows his stuff!
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 07:43 PM   #9
CamG

Thanks fellas! I will be doing some looking and talking to some of these guys. I'll probably give proreelservice.com a call first as he's almost local.

I've got to get this reel fixed as they don't make them anymore...that, and it's one of my favorites.
Old 08-31-10, 12:11 AM   #10
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
The guys name is Kevin Rush, and he is in Wichita KS, only a few miles from me. He is well respected in this area.
Sounds to me you do too.

Kevin is on another forum I go too and he is always helpful just as you have been on here.
Old 08-31-10, 01:27 PM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanley View Post
Sounds to me you do too.

Kevin is on another forum I go too and he is always helpful just as you have been on here.

Thank you, that is what makes this a great place, everyone is willing to share his/her experience in an effort to help out a fellow angler.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.