Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-10, 01:07 AM   #1
gharness84

Default New Boat owner and bass fisherman help.

Hey all, I just recently purchased my first boat and have really acquired an interest for bass fishing. I have fished from the shore for the past two years catching blue gills and catfish (and a rock bass this summer) all on live bait. I have been studying techniques for catching bass with artificial baits online and have tried all sorts of things I have seen but I just cant seem to get a bite. I don't know if any of you are familiar with Old Hickory lake in central Tennessee, but I was wondering if you could give me any tips for getting that first bass. I will be going out on my second voyage this Monday and will actually have an entire day to try many strategies.

Sorry for the wall of text. Just an unlucky newb seeking advise

Thanks in advance, and I'm glad I found these forums!
Old 10-13-10, 06:40 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Could you tell us what tackle you use? Rods and reels, length, power and action? Knowing what tackle you have to use will help us determine what technique and approach you should try.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 09:34 AM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First and foremost, WELCOME to the best site on the world wide web my friend. Here you will find the BEST and MOST friendly people there is. Watch out for the bait monkey, feed him accordingly, and you will be just fine. Learn to take a joke here and there, and give em back too,lol. Above all.....HAVE FUN!

Now, tell us more aobut what you have like keithdog said. We will help you out buddy. What kind of boat have you got? We love to hear EVERYTHING, HAHAHA. What type of gear you have also. What spots are you fishing? All these things will help us to help you. Details are very important when fishing. Just like everything else, the more information oyu can tell us, the better we can help you out.

Time of year too is important, water temp, air temp, water clarity, wind and so forth. Now DON'T think that we are trying to scare you away. All these things will come to be second nature in just a bit.

Now if it were me, being that it is getting cooler, i will tell you to get a RATTLE TRAP for this time of year. Start on the outside edges of ANY type of structure, you are wanting to FIND the fish and this will help oyu get a REACTION strike. after you find the fish, then you can use other lures to get the bigguns. That is if the trap doesn't get em for ya.

Hope i was some help to you bud.
Old 10-13-10, 09:04 PM   #4
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome aboard gharness84.

Here's a video that may help you with understanding the migration patterns of bass during the Fall transition season.

http://www.bassfishin.com/videos/video.php?v=29

Oh, and if you didn't already know, that is Kevin Scarselli in the video, site administrator, and a good friend of mine.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.