Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-09, 08:13 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Labor Day at the Reservoir

Since we've had some problems with the motor recently and didn't have time to fix this weekend, we decided to hit the small local reservoir instead of go to a lake.

My dad and I each grab two rods, this is really the first time I've gotten to use my Mojo Bass rod for a period of time.

The weeds have gotten pretty thick in here, which has made the dropshot nearly impossible to fish, although it worked great earlier in the year. T-riggen senkos have the our best lure out there so far.

Since I stocked up on Yum Dingers the last trip to BPS, I had a few to choose from. I decided to try the Strike King Zeros though. Before I could fish, I helped my dad set up to fish a weightless T-rigged dinger on his rod. He choose Yum's Bumblebee swirl color (after it was highly recomended to us while at BPS)

He gets to fishing as I vast out my watermelon candy Zero. I let it sink till it almost reached the weedbeds, and twitched it a couple times. While it was sinking, I got a hit. I let him take it a second and set the hook. He wasn't long, but he was filled out and very healthy looking.

Not too much later, I feel the slightest tick, and my line goes slack. The fish was running towards me. I reeled in the slack and set the hook.This fish, probably 17-18" and around 3lbs jumped. I should've keep my rod down, caue he got eough slack to let the little hook pop loose... (stupid fish on first cast bad luck thing...)

Anyways, I was talking to my dad as we moved down the shore and asked him why he brought his old 6' rod instead of the new 7' one he built this year (cause I thought it would be much better for senko fishing). He said he didn't know if he really liked it that much and it felt a bit heavy...

So I, being such a nice person, told him to use my 7' Mojo bass rod for a minute to see how he liked it. on his second cast with MY rod, he hooks one... So I started to tie the wacky rig on his rod for him... less than 5 minutes later, he got another one, with MY rod... that figures.

So I take my rod back. He caught another little one using a 4" dinger, while I headed down the shore in the other direction. I got another on a wacky rigged swim senko. Then he supposedly caught 2 more, that I didn't see .

Despite it raining for the majority of the 3.5 hours we were there, it was fun.

BB
Old 09-08-09, 10:25 AM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

haha, so what did pops think of the mojo?
i think thats gonna be my next rod......for the price, its hard to not to!

hey i meant to ask you,...when ya'll built that rod,did you do the handle and seat first,then the guides...or guides first then the handle........Im making a rod building jig right now to have a work station,and and will hopefully be starting mine this month!
Old 09-08-09, 10:40 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

He liked the Mojo. I really like it too. Never been a big St. Croix fan, but I think it's a great rod for the price.

Definately the handle first. We use a lathe to sand the cork handle and the whole rod has to go out the end, so you can't do it with the guides. But I'd start with the handle anyways. Because if you screw something up, it's hard to fix the handle, but if you screw up wrapping a guide you can always cut it off and do it again.

BB
Old 09-12-09, 04:19 PM   #4
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

sounds like a good time BB!
Old 09-12-09, 06:28 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Sounds cool bigb! Were you prepared for the fish runnin at you? I had it happen for the first time a few weeks ago. Took me several seconds to realize what was happenin

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.