Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-10, 11:28 PM   #1
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Def by guitar

Def by guitar.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHgd0RPadA
Old 07-15-10, 08:33 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Do it in drop D and mute the E when not needed.
Old 07-15-10, 11:18 AM   #3
1/4 stick

I was wondering about the drop D tuning. But the video tut I was using didn't mention it.
Old 07-15-10, 12:00 PM   #4
plugsandaxes
BassFishin.Com Member

AC/DC never used drop D tuning that I know of. It could be used for several of their songs, obviously, but it just wouldn't sound right. (in my opinion) The low grumble you get from Drop D just doesn't mesh with the AC/DC sound.

Keep at it, man! Some of the first songs I ever learned were from Malcolm and the gang, like "For those about to rock", "Hells Bells", "Have a drink on me", "Back in black", "Shook me", "TNT" and "Dirty Deeds".

A lot of their stuff may sound the same, but their music is pretty timeless. Gotta love the in your face, no frills rock. Malcolm had a monster sound, too, with those cranked Marshalls through the tight weave Greenback cabs.

There was a band, I think it was called Jackal, that had a similar bare bones approach. I learned a lot of their stuff around the same time period (93 or so) since it was easy and cool.
plugsandaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 03:04 PM   #5
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsandaxes View Post
AC/DC never used drop D tuning that I know of. It could be used for several of their songs, obviously, but it just wouldn't sound right. (in my opinion) The low grumble you get from Drop D just doesn't mesh with the AC/DC sound.

Keep at it, man! Some of the first songs I ever learned were from Malcolm and the gang, like "For those about to rock", "Hells Bells", "Have a drink on me", "Back in black", "Shook me", "TNT" and "Dirty Deeds".

A lot of their stuff may sound the same, but their music is pretty timeless. Gotta love the in your face, no frills rock. Malcolm had a monster sound, too, with those cranked Marshalls through the tight weave Greenback cabs.

There was a band, I think it was called Jackal, that had a similar bare bones approach. I learned a lot of their stuff around the same time period (93 or so) since it was easy and cool.
I was just mainly trying to learn the chords and the picking. Saw my webcam there and decided I'd record it and give folks a little more to wonder about me and my sanity. (Not much to wonder about far as sanity goes.)

All I have is a little Marshall MG15, which actually does good for a little practice amp, but I aint gonna get ac/dc sound out of it.
Old 07-15-10, 10:15 PM   #6
Cavs1123

hey stick I have a Ibanez amp I'll sell ya for $35.
Old 07-16-10, 02:20 AM   #7
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
hey stick I have a Ibanez amp I'll sell ya for $35.
How many watts is it?
Old 07-18-10, 02:37 PM   #8
Jim80

Stick i am in the same boat as you are man , Can play a few power cords and and for the life of me can not get sweep picking down , but like they say keep trying right

Jim
Old 07-18-10, 02:38 PM   #9
walkeraviator

You got some killer tone out of that tiny amp. I go throuhg musical "stages" and recently i have been coming out of the Mesa/Boogie super saturated Steve Vai sounding phase... i know i am wierd... but lately its been learning more chicken pickin on my Strat through my Fender HotRod Deluxe...

As for the AC/DC.. no drop D, and marshall tube amps cranked to 11 and your are good to go...(if you want a good small marshall tube look for a used JTM30 which was my first amp but avoid the 60watt version for overheating issues)

There music was all "three chords and spit" but i have every album they ever made and wear em out on a regular basis... its simplicity is definitely waht makes it great...

what axe you playin in that vid man?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 09:40 PM   #10
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
You got some killer tone out of that tiny amp. I go throuhg musical "stages" and recently i have been coming out of the Mesa/Boogie super saturated Steve Vai sounding phase... i know i am wierd... but lately its been learning more chicken pickin on my Strat through my Fender HotRod Deluxe...

As for the AC/DC.. no drop D, and marshall tube amps cranked to 11 and your are good to go...(if you want a good small marshall tube look for a used JTM30 which was my first amp but avoid the 60watt version for overheating issues)

There music was all "three chords and spit" but i have every album they ever made and wear em out on a regular basis... its simplicity is definitely waht makes it great...

what axe you playin in that vid man?
I was running it through a Digitech RP50 effects box on one of it's presets, then into the amp. Can't tell you what amp simulation it was. I was just fiddling with it. lol

The guitar is a Jay Turser I picked up for $200.

The guitar stand is custom by me.

I had a Fender Jaapaniese Strat, but that thing was a piece of junk. The Turser is pretty good, stays in tune and is sturdy. And I like the tone I get with it.
Old 07-19-10, 05:59 AM   #11
walkeraviator

Good lookin guitar for sure. I used to have a 1967 Gibson SG Special... til the wife lost her job and i had to pay the mortgage... i never liekd it much though... had P-90s and sounded like poo...

Jay tursers are killer guitars for their price range. I have a buddy who has a jay turser Les paul and it plays great and sounds even better...
Old 07-19-10, 09:48 AM   #12
1/4 stick

Yeah the turser was the best feeling one I could find without going to a much more expencive guitar. I looked at some Mexican strats that were pretty good but they were wanting $400 for it. And I didn't want to spend a lot with me not even sure if I'd keep learning or get bored with it. Could probably find them cheaper on ebay, but I'm real leary about buying a guitar that I can't look at in hand first.
Old 07-19-10, 11:58 AM   #13
Cavs1123

Its 11 watts Stick
Old 07-19-10, 12:16 PM   #14
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
Its 11 watts Stick
I appreciate it. But that's a little smaller than I'm looking for. I think if I get another one it'll be 30 watts. Thanks.
Old 07-19-10, 12:28 PM   #15
walkeraviator

Hey 1/4 stick.. dont just shoot for higher wattage.. most of the time playing around teh house with 40 watta hot rod i never turn it up past 4... if you are just a living room player, i would go for lower wattages... especially if you feel like buying a tube amp as the tubes have to get hot to make good tone... so a 10watt tube amp like a Vox Nighttrain or Egnater Rebel 20 watter will sound 10 times better than a 40-50 watter at the same volume... and believe me, you can make a lot of noise with a 20 watt Egnater...

Egnater WILL be my next amp. Bruce Egnater made a name for himself hot rodding Marshall Amps... so they have a good marshall tone, but by simply turning a knob you can go from EL84s to 6V6s to go from a british sound to an american tone... they really are awesome... and to top it off they have selectable wattage...
Old 07-19-10, 06:47 PM   #16
1/4 stick

It really wouldn't be for around the house. I've been invited a few times to sit in on jam sessions, mostly to get me accustomed to play with other people, and my amp just isn't quite enough for what they have. The other guys laugh at my little thing. lol
Old 07-19-10, 07:41 PM   #17
Cavs1123

No problem Stick. anytime
Old 07-19-10, 09:37 PM   #18
walkeraviator

I play on stage with my little 40W Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12... and i can keep up with my Brother-in-laws Mesa Dual Rectifier 4x12... but I definitely dont have his tone... my sounds really compressed, and i think it is more speaker/cabinet issues than teh amp itself...
Old 07-20-10, 12:38 AM   #19
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
I play on stage with my little 40W Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12...
I have the same amp. My first decent amp was a Peavey Bandit 1x12, and it was fine. Then we had a practice at my buddy's house and I played through his Blues Deluxe 1x12, which I believe was the predecessor to the Hot Rod Deluxe....man, I was in love from the word "go." I got mine for Christmas that year, and haven't looked back since. Still have the Peavey as a backup, though.
We normally mic our amps during gigs, which helps keep stage volume down. I usually run the amp at about 2 to 2.5 on the volume. Only problem with that is the tubes don't really saturate enough to push that good, thick, warm tone. But it's a good tradeoff, I think...a little less tone to help save the eardrums...
Old 07-23-10, 06:58 PM   #20
plugsandaxes
BassFishin.Com Member

for sit-in's, open mic nights or small to medium sized venues some of you guys should check out a groove tubes soul-o 45 1x12. Of course, you'll want your favorite overdrive pedal to kick it in, because you won't get a lot of overdrive out of the amp. It's more of a clean based amp that will get a bit of bluesy grit when cranked, but it excels in the fact that it's very fat and rich sounding. It sounds better than any Fender i've ever tried, including old blackface twins and such. With a nice overdrive pedal it produces a much better rock tone than any hotrod deluxe, etc. The fenders are just notorious for have icepick in the ear syndrome and are a raspy distortion/overdrive.
plugsandaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 08:24 PM   #21
walkeraviator

Mine isnt ice picky at all... it has that bluies sound i love... my only complaint is that it is way to bassy... and these amps are known for that problem...

Ifg i were buying a low wattage combo that has killer distortion it would be an Orange Tiny Terror...

By the way I am anti pedal... i am forced to use em as my amp iosnt versatile enough to play all my styles without them... but if i could pull it off there would be nothing in my tone chain besides a guitar 2 chords and a wah pedal... all into an Egnater tourmaster 4100 stack...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.