Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-11, 11:40 AM   #1
Kicksomebass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Early spring fishin in VA!

Hey guys.. noob here! This is the first year i've really made a concious effort to hit the water earlier. A buddy of mine and I usually wait til mid April to get on the water, but after we've both caught spring fever like a bad case of the munchies, we've decided to hit it earlier. Not to mention the people in our boating group dont like to weather the cooler air, we thought it would be cool to target fish that before the other guys can hit the water.

That being said, I'd love to get some feedback about what our planned attack is going to be. We both have been fishing for a LONG time and know the general movement of the fish, but we've never targeted this pattern.

I know slow is the way to go, therefore we will most likely be using jigs and soft plastics. Right now i have a black/blue 1/2 jig tied up, as well as a texas rig for worm, a weightless for senko's, cuz it's my go-to, a white spinnerbait with a fluke as a trailer, and finally i have a rod with a deep diving suspending crank bait. I've been doing quite a bit of research watcing vids and reviews (my girlfriend thinks i'm absolutely insane lol) and we are generally going to be fishing these things on the shelfs/slopes leading up to flats. I've also looked at a lot of satellite imagry (thank you google earth) of the water we will be fishing and have marked points and dropoffs that are visible from above.

I have been reading a lot and these motives make the most sense to me, and if anyone on here who has done more early spring fishing could give me feedback it would be awesome.... Thanks a lot in advance..

Derek
Kicksomebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 01:54 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Don't forget a good old suspending jerkbait. I started fishing LC Pointers last spring and liked them from the little I got to use them. Some less expensive alternatives are Rapala X-Rap and Husky Jerk, Smithwick Rattling Suspending Rogue, and many others.

I'd also have a dropshot tied on. Probably for when you find some fish to get the more finicky fish to bite. I like a Chompers 4" dropshot worm or a Tiny Fluke.

BB
Old 02-03-11, 02:00 PM   #3
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Fishing in Northern VA is tough. The lakes are small and typically get alot of pressure, as I'm sure you know.

Suspending jerkbaits can be pretty effective, especially if you get a few consecutive days of warm weather. Rat L Traps also work surprisingly well in shallow water, even if it's only 40 degrees.

Good luck!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 06:36 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Add a silver buddy to your list of baits that you need to have when fishing in late winter early spring. Find bait fish at creek mouths in 15-25' and yo-yo it off the bottom around the bait. Slowly swimming 2" grubs just off the bottom is another way to go when fishing this time of year. The jig/pig is a good combo to use. If we get a couple days of warm weather and the temps get up a little then the jerkbait will come into play.
Old 02-04-11, 06:04 AM   #5
SaminVa

All of the above... jigs...black & blue, rattle trap style crank baits.... can also be yo yoyed off the bottom, silver buddy type baits, dropshot,jerkbaits..After a few days of warm weather it should be easier as momma bass may start to move up into a little warmer water.... I've found them on points & isolated cover close to deep water.
I caought a 7#14oz bass a few years back on Jan. 19 after 3 days of 68* weather.. she came off of an isolated stick up at the mouth of a cove in 12 ft. of water... caught on 1 oz spinnerbait w/ large willow leaf blades & a trailer hook.
SaminVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 09:13 AM   #6
Kicksomebass
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaminVa View Post
All of the above... jigs...black & blue, rattle trap style crank baits.... can also be yo yoyed off the bottom, silver buddy type baits, dropshot,jerkbaits..After a few days of warm weather it should be easier as momma bass may start to move up into a little warmer water.... I've found them on points & isolated cover close to deep water.
I caought a 7#14oz bass a few years back on Jan. 19 after 3 days of 68* weather.. she came off of an isolated stick up at the mouth of a cove in 12 ft. of water... caught on 1 oz spinnerbait w/ large willow leaf blades & a trailer hook.

NICE!!!! That's one reason i wanna get out earlier... the fish dont see a lot of pressure this early in the year and they havent really been targeted... And i have massive cases of spring fever so i just wanna get my line wet!!!
Old 02-04-11, 10:50 AM   #7
coachpurdy

Jerkbaits always work well for me this time of year.
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 12:00 PM   #8
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've always read that bass like to be relatively shallow, but close to deep water first thing in the spring. But I don't have any real first hand experience cause I've never had a boat to try it out. But once the water reaches 60* it's time to start throwing spinnerbaits to shallow cover, now that, I know about! But if they are shallow and not wanting a spinnerbait cause the waters still cool, jig a pork is they way to go.
Old 02-04-11, 11:29 PM   #9
Kicksomebass
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I've always read that bass like to be relatively shallow, but close to deep water first thing in the spring. But I don't have any real first hand experience cause I've never had a boat to try it out. But once the water reaches 60* it's time to start throwing spinnerbaits to shallow cover, now that, I know about! But if they are shallow and not wanting a spinnerbait cause the waters still cool, jig a pork is they way to go.

yeah definately, once the water temp hits 60 i'm golden... but i'm planning on getting out there way before that happens.. i'm lookin at it being in the low to mid 50s
Old 02-05-11, 09:21 AM   #10
Mac2

I only have one suggestion, if you want a slower finesse fall than the senko, cut the tail off a zoom speedworm in watermelon/red and use that as it has no internal salt......will stay in a strike zone longer, also use a skipping cast.

The speedworm body, rigged texposed weightless on a 2/0 offset shank worm hook casts like a bullet. I've had successs using this approach up to 18 foot depth or so.

Patience mixed with a good dose of persistance will likely pay off.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 12:49 PM   #11
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

I have had some good fishing in earlyspring slow rolling a 1/2 oz spinner bait in the ponds I fish here. I have found the best color for this time of year is black with a bit of red.
Good luck!
Old 02-05-11, 01:59 PM   #12
SaminVa

It's been my exp. that bass will still be lethargic & in their deep water travel routes until 3-4 days of warm weather... that's when they'll start nosing around.
SaminVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 05:55 PM   #13
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Jerkbait, Jerkbait, Jerkbait....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.