Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-07, 11:08 AM   #1
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Tips for fishing deeper

We haven't had much luck this last month trying to fish a little deeper. Anybody want to share their ideas? The ponds will be in range in size from 4.5 acres down to about 1.5. Depth maxs out at about 18-20 feet with 8-12 being normal water is stained, pretty murky. The bottom structure is hard to guess at in the deeper parts.. we've hung up alot when c-rigging plastics though. I've tried some deep diving cranks, but don't think i'm very good with them. Any ideas would be appreciated. I could answer any other questions about the ponds if more info is needed. We don't have any problem catching smaller fish along the shore, in structure and cover, but the big boys of spring/early summer seem to be missing? We'll be in a boat mostly, but shore ideas are welcome too!
Old 08-22-07, 12:45 PM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I fish ponds a lot and the ones I fish have right many fish from 4-8 lbs. The deeper ponds are harder to catch the big ones this time of the year but I catch them on deep diving cranks the best. Rapala DT 10's and 16's have produced the best. I use the bluegill pattern. I also catch them on a 6" Storm swimbait. Let it sink to the bottom and slowly reel it in. Or work it anyway you want. I also will throw 10" plastic worms or lizards too. I use bigger baits this time of year for the bigger fish. Early morning seems to be better for me. When they're shallower I'll catch them on big spinnerbaits or jigs. Buzzbaits (black) work well too. Good luck to you!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 01:47 PM   #3
millsryno
BassFishin.Com Member

Try drop shotting.

Also make sure you are using braid with a fluorocarbon leader or fluorocarbon line to get better sensitivity so you can feel the stuff you are fishing. Use your best, most sensitive rod. Monofilament line for deep water wormin' is not very good because of the stretch and you will not feel much, it works like a wet noodle.
Old 08-22-07, 04:03 PM   #4
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Since the water is stained to murky you can pretty much just use braid, without any leader. Powerpro is very sensitive. also since you ahve a boat use a depth finder to scope out bottom structure, humps/channels/old trees/stumps/drop offs/rocks/etc etc and fish them. Deeper water is a bit more tricky to fish because if you arent fishing some kinda structure down there, most of the time you wont be on the fish. You cant just randomly cast in deep water, it wont show good results, unless you get lucky. So just take the depth finder and look for underwater structures and fish them with the following:I would try jigging the deeper water, and look for the hit on the fall. Also, drop shotting and as crazy as it seems weightless t-rigging or wacky rigging stik baits... it may take 5 minutes for it to hit bottom, haha, but a lot of times the bass will come up and hit it on the fall within the first 5 feet of dropping. Now if they dont hit it in that initial 5 feet, if there are bass in the area by the time that worm hits the bottom the fish will be so irretated/curious/intrigued they will scoop it up quick. Swim baits are always a good idea and also there is no way to fish a crankbait wrong, so get a deep diver and fish any structure you find with it.

Good Luck.
Old 08-22-07, 07:05 PM   #5
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Do you know at what depth the thermocline is currently at? If so that would be a very good place to start depth wise, if not find out.

Lizards
Old 08-22-07, 07:19 PM   #6
basschamp4
BassFishin.Com Active Member

a deep diving crank is your best bet
Old 08-22-07, 09:37 PM   #7
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Do you know at what depth the thermocline is currently at? If so that would be a very good place to start depth wise, if not find out.

Lizards
I know what thermocline is -that natural science degree does come in handy... However, how do I find out at what depth it is? Rember i fish from a canoe without and electronics

Thanks for all the advice guys - i love having new stuff to try...
Old 08-23-07, 02:12 AM   #8
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89

I've always had my best deep water bass in the corner of the dam where the overflow is located. If your lucky this will be on the north side. Use a crankbait and cast it right up next to the dam. Reel it back with small twitches and short pauses. Most of the time (at least with my expirience) this with trigger hits from large bass.

If your pond doesn't have an overflow than I suggest finding the deepest part along the dam.

Brightly colored grubs and jigs will work as well. Just let them sink for at least 10 sec and work them over deep structure such as sunken trees, drop offs, and rocks. These will usually be in the old creek bed in about 8-10ft. of water.

Hope this helps,
-Eric
Old 08-23-07, 08:17 PM   #9
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
I know what thermocline is -that natural science degree does come in handy... However, how do I find out at what depth it is? Rember i fish from a canoe without and electronics

Thanks for all the advice guys - i love having new stuff to try...

Here's just one link
http://www.lakeforktexas.com/Pages/therm.html

It does not tell you how to find the thermocline but it tells you all about it, and does give some general info on the depths they may be at. I truly don't know how to find it other than going swimming and finding the cooler water, or using electronics.

Lizards
Old 08-23-07, 10:01 PM   #10
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Here's just one link
http://www.lakeforktexas.com/Pages/therm.html

It does not tell you how to find the thermocline but it tells you all about it, and does give some general info on the depths they may be at. I truly don't know how to find it other than going swimming and finding the cooler water, or using electronics.

Lizards
Thanks Lizard - I think I'll pass on the swim - the water stinks and there are some big snappin' turtles out there... No snakes or gators though!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.