Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-10, 09:24 PM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Labor Day Weekend at the Lake

We took my niece (6) and nephew (3) out to do some bobber fishing on Saturday afternoon. My sister-in-law, my wife and the two kids had fun catching small sunfish, perch and an occasional (tiny) largemouth bass. While they were doing that, my brother-in-law and I were casting for bass from opposite ends of the boat. I hooked up a LM at two different locations using a Yellow Perch Clackin' Rap, but they both spit me out before I got them into the boat. At our third location we were up near a reed-filled shoreline anchored in 4 feet of water. I was pitching a 5" wacky-rigged Yamasenko (purple pearl with blue flakes) to the edge of the reeds or just into them a little bit. I only caught one fish, but it was a beauty -- a largemouth that weighed 4lb 3oz, measured 18.75" long, and had a 13.25" girth!

Here is a shot of my nephew and me with it before we released it (by the way, this was LM #200 for me on this lake this year!):

Later that night my brother-in-law and I went on another outing. As it was starting to get dark I put on a Pop-R. On the second cast I saw a big Smallie come completely out of the water, but he just sort of head-butted the lure (while it was sitting still) instead of taking it under. I kept working my pop-pop-pop-pause retrieve on that cast, but to no avail. I was really bummed and told my brother-in-law, "Man, that was a nice fish!". As I hurriedly cast again to the same spot, one finger nicked the line as it came off the spinning reel and I heard the dreaded "bird's nest" sound as my line flew out. Dang, I thought, it's so dark I can't even see my line much past the end of my rod, so I really need to reel this in while holding the line between two fingers to catch the problem and fix it before it gets darker. So I just started doing a straight retrieve like that when all of a sudden -- WHAM! -- my lure was attacked viciously and taken under. I quickly re-adjusted to normal reeling position, set the hook, and the fight was on. I could tell it was a smallie from the way it was jumping and fighting, and my brother-in-law grabbed the net and got in position, but we had no idea how big it was until it was right up next to the boat because that was the first we could see it in the fading light. It tipped the scales at 4lb 0oz with an 18.75" length and a 13.50" girth. This was the first time I had ever caught more than one 4+ pound bass on the same day! (And it turns out there was no bird's nest in my line as I had thought there was.)

Here are a couple shots of it:

A few casts later I caught another Smallie, much smaller in size, and then another nice hit yielded another good bass. This time it was a 3lb 0oz, 17" LM.

Here is a shot of the 4-0 SM and the 3-0 LM before they were released (and nope, I wasn't using the Scooby Doo rod that you see in the background!):

I have also gotten my brother-in-law hooked on bass fishing the last two summers and here are a couple of nice ones he landed on Sunday:

2lb 11oz LM and 2lb 13oz LM

My 3-year old nephew isn't far behind with his desire to go fishing. Here is a small LM that he reeled in on Sunday:

Unfortunately, it rained and stormed all afternoon and night on Labor Day and also this morning, so our last few fishing outings for the long weekend had to be cancelled. Oh well, I can try again in a couple weeks on our next trip. Here is how our dog, Lucky, spent the rainy afternoon and evening:

Last edited by WatterBoy; 09-07-10 at 09:34 PM.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 10:04 PM   #2
MIbasser

Looks like you had a great time once again!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 11:02 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahaha, looks like ya'll had a great time watterboy. ESPECIALLY lucky! HAHAHA, VERY GOOD LOOKING DOG THERE PAL. thanks for sharing the pics man.e are

and those are some HWAG MOLLIES FO SHO watterboy. i do love them basseseses!!! hahahaha, hope oyu had a fantastic 46th birthday pal.
Old 09-09-10, 10:44 AM   #4
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hahaha, looks like ya'll had a great time watterboy. ESPECIALLY lucky! HAHAHA, VERY GOOD LOOKING DOG THERE PAL. thanks for sharing the pics man.e are

and those are some HWAG MOLLIES FO SHO watterboy. i do love them basseseses!!! hahahaha, hope oyu had a fantastic 46th birthday pal.
John I think you need to move the get together and crash at WB's place and fish this lake....He always pulling up some beautiful fish!

Nice going WB!
Old 09-09-10, 01:13 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
John I think you need to move the get together and crash at WB's place and fish this lake....He always pulling up some beautiful fish!

Nice going WB!
Just make sure you let me know when you're gonna show up!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 05:23 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I THINK OYU MIGHT BE RIGHT WAFFLE. MAYBE OL WATTERBOY WILL HOST ONE? if i can i would love to visit him.

i DO lie the idea of watterboy having a northern event. what about it pal?
Old 09-11-10, 08:39 PM   #7
Cavs1123

Nice toads!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.