Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-12, 10:26 PM   #1
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rods and Reels from Bass Pro Shops?

I'm a spinning reel guy and haven't had a bait-caster for 10 years or more; however I got a $50 gift card from Bass Pro Shops and I'm looking for a bait-casting set-up for mutiple duty.

By multiple duty, I mean spinnerbaits, crankbaits, frogs and possibly jig-n-pigs. (I would also use this set-up occassionaly for Northern Pike in Minnesota.)

For a rod, I'm thinking something around 7 feet in the MH range with a moderate or fast tip... I prefer a full handle to a split-grip. If I go to the store I'm confident I can find a rod I like, as long as I can pick-it up and see what it feels like.

Reels on the other hand, I'm clue-less what to look for.

My budget is $250 for a rod and reel ($50 gift card plus $200 cash) ...that doesn't include line.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 10:57 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If your looking for a full grip rod, St. Croix is probably the best bet as there aren't many companies making full handled rods any more. A St. Croix Premier, or Avid is a great start. Something else to look at may be a full gripped Duckett Rod. 7' MH-Fast is a great all around set up for the things that you listed.

Reel wise I find it hard to beat a BPS Pro Qualifer or Carbonlite reel. 6.4:1 is a great all around gear ratio, and it would work well for the techniques that you listed.

Ryan
Old 01-22-12, 12:09 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll eco Ryan on the St.Croix's. Not to many full grip rods anymore. The Avid is one of the nicest feeling rods I've felt, very crisp feel. I've got an premier spinning rod and it's pretty dang nice, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the casting version.

Personally I'd go with the Avid and find a good deal on a reel off ebay.

Revo SX's, shimano curado E's, and quantum energies, can be found off ebay for around 100 - 120 bucks. I'd take a look see.

*forgot you had to keep with only with BPS, sorry. lol

Last edited by Bassboss; 01-22-12 at 12:35 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 12:27 AM   #4
Tavery5

A few others that make full grip rods and are available at Bass Pro, Falcon, G-loomis, Lamiglass, and TFO.
Old 01-22-12, 12:41 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

Is it just me or do Falcon rods seem heavier (overall and tip) than other rods in same action and length?
Old 01-22-12, 12:52 AM   #6
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Reel wise I find it hard to beat a BPS Pro Qualifer or Carbonlite reel. 6.4:1 is a great all around gear ratio, and it would work well for the techniques that you listed.

Ryan
BPS has a sale on their CarbonLite reels right now... regularly $119.99; now $89.97 ...I just started looking so I'm not sure if that is a good deal? (The BPS Qualifier is $99.99 - which is the better reel?)
Old 01-22-12, 01:12 AM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Is it just me or do Falcon rods seem heavier (overall and tip) than other rods in same action and length?
Which model in particular, or are you just asking in general? To me the rods that seem most tip heavy are the St.Croix, in particular the Mojo, Premier and Avid series.
Old 01-22-12, 08:37 AM   #8
hootie
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
BPS has a sale on their CarbonLite reels right now... regularly $119.99; now $89.97 ...I just started looking so I'm not sure if that is a good deal? (The BPS Qualifier is $99.99 - which is the better reel?)
I work at BPS. The Carbonlite @ $89.97 is a steal. A 6.9 oz. reel for under a $100.00? It's one of our best sellers. The PQ is also an excellent choice, I have 4 of them. Never had one bit of trouble out of them and I fish at least 2 days a week from March to November. However, for the money, I would go for the Carbonlite.

Hootie
hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 03:18 PM   #9
DVT Mike

An Avid and a Cabonlite would put you just a little over your stated budget but you would get your money's worth. I always suggest skewing a combo budget toward the rod for "feel" type techniques and toward the reel for deep cranking setups.
Old 01-23-12, 09:05 PM   #10
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootie View Post
I work at BPS. The Carbonlite @ $89.97 is a steal. A 6.9 oz. reel for under a $100.00? It's one of our best sellers. The PQ is also an excellent choice, I have 4 of them. Never had one bit of trouble out of them and I fish at least 2 days a week from March to November. However, for the money, I would go for the Carbonlite.

Hootie
I have had several PQs and JMs and had trouble with all of them almost right away. I will never buy a BPS reel again. Go Shimano they are by far the best IMHO.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 09:09 PM   #11
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by finessefishin View Post
I have had several PQs and JMs and had trouble with all of them almost right away. I will never buy a BPS reel again. Go Shimano they are by far the best IMHO.
Which Shimano reel do you recommend and why?
Old 01-24-12, 03:27 PM   #12
hootie
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finessefishin View Post
The Shimano lemmings are stirring.
Old 01-24-12, 04:06 PM   #13
hootie
BassFishin.Com Member

All kidding aside, my first Shimano was a Bantam back around 1980. or 81, somewhere around there.Was a great little reel. Wish I still had it.

Hootie
Old 01-24-12, 07:52 PM   #14
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Bass Pro Shops just released their weelky deal, and it is the Nitro Tournament Z baitcaster. I just got one, and it is a very nice reel. Usually $130, on sale this week for $60. The man at the counter said that it was made for BPS by Pfleuger. Has 10 bearings, aluminum frame, very smooth. 6.4:1 ratio. I highly reccomend it.
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 05:30 PM   #15
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Which Shimano reel do you recommend and why?
I would recommend any Shimano within your price point. I have never had a problem with any Shimano I've owned, I've got Shimanos ranging from $30-200 and they all work great. I pulled a 5 year old Spirex from a river and it works perfect, with no treatment after I pulled it out of the river. Shimanos are built like tanks! Also, they cast farther than most of the reels I own and are super smooth. The anti-reverse is great too.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 11:11 PM   #16
IowaBasser

My budget just got a little tighter. Is the "Johnny-Morris" Carbonlite worth the extra $40?

$129.99 Bass Pro Shops® Johnny Morris® CarbonLite™
•Weighs just 5.9 ounces
•One-piece machined aircraft-grade frame
•Duralumin gears and shaft
•V-grooved, ported, machined Duralumin spool
•10 stainless steel, double-shielded ball bearings
•Dual Braking System™
•Titanium nitride-coated line guide
•Carbon fiber Recurve handle
•Drag system with six alternating carbon fiber and stainless washers
•3 different line recovery ratios: 29" Per Turn, 26" Per Turn, and 22" Per Turn

$89.97 Bass Pro Shops® CarbonLite™
•Weighs 6.7 ounces
•Recurve handle is made of carbon fiber
•1-piece frame is high-end aluminum
•Sideplates are premier graphite
•7-bearing system with Powerlock instant anti-reverse
•Adjustable Dual Braking System
•Advanced heat- and corrosion-resistant Rulon drag
•Line recovery ratio: 29" Per Turn

I'm also looking at this reel.

$59.99 Bass Pro Shops® Nitro Tournament Z Low-Profile
•Weighs 8.5 ounces
•1-piece aluminum frame
•Double-anodized forged aluminum spool
•Recurve aluminum star drag
•9+1 bearing system
•Recurve aluminum handle
•Line recovery ratio: 26" Per Turn

Last edited by IowaBasser; 02-17-12 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 11:42 PM   #17
bassboogieman

The JM Carbonlite is on sale during the Spring Classic for $89 (with a working trade in), if you want one that would be the time to buy.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...eel.cfm&loc=26
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 05:14 PM   #18
IowaBasser

I stopped at BassPro this past weekend. After looking on-line I thought I knew what I wanted - I guess I was wrong. I looked at the BassPro Tourney Rods (Normally $60 on sale for $30) ...The rod was OK, but I didn't like the way the handle felt in my hand - something about the plastic part where the reel seats didn't feel comfortable. So Now I'm looking at a BionicBlade. I know... I said I didn't want a split-grip rod, but I liked the way it felt.

I did like the $89.97 BassPro carbonlite reel. It only comes with the reel on the left, which is OK since I'm used to spinning gear anyway.

Anyone out there use the Bionic Blades?
Old 02-20-12, 06:14 PM   #19
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bionic blade is a decent rod it is like the upper middle of their line.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 07:05 PM   #20
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
The JM Carbonlite is on sale during the Spring Classic for $89 (with a working trade in), if you want one that would be the time to buy.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...eel.cfm&loc=26
I stopped into BassPro last weekend to check out the new JM carbonlite and thought I buy one this week during their trade-in sale. They were sold out of most of the popular styles: Right hand medium speed and high speed retrieves. This was last Saturday, a week before the trade-in sale. There were 4 guys in line ahead of me who were fighting over the display model. One of the guys wanted to buy 3 of the JM Carbonlite reels and another guy wanted 2 reels. The sales clerk said their would be no rain-checks to honor their sale. Their ad does sale "while supplies last."

Last edited by IowaBasser; 03-02-12 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-02-12, 11:23 PM   #21
Possum
BassFishin.Com Member

Are you right handed and use your left for your spinning rig?
You might want to think about a left hand retrieve b-caster. You don't have to switch hands after a cast.
Just a thought.
Old 03-03-12, 08:51 AM   #22
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Are you right handed and use your left for your spinning rig?
You might want to think about a left hand retrieve b-caster. You don't have to switch hands after a cast.
Just a thought.
I've been debating right or left retrieve... I think I would prefer a left-hand retrieve since I'm used to spinning reels (with the handle on the left.) I especially think pitching and flipping would be easier with a left retrieve bait-caster. That said, I have owned and used plenty of bait-casters and all were right retrieve. (Althogh it's been 10+ years since I've used a bait-caster regularly.)

It may sound silly, but one of the reasons I'm looking at a bait-caster is for my fishing buddies to use. 2 or 3 times a year my fishing buddies come down to my dad's lake house to fish. I tell them not to worry about bringing tackle if they don't want to, we have plenty: probably a dozen quality rods and reels + another dozen garage-sale or kids poles. One friend in particular lives in Minneapolis and all his fishing gear is at his parent's house 3 hours North of the Cities. He usually doesn't bring his own gear and struggles with a spinning reel. (though he has gotten much better in the last 3 years.) He is used to a right-retrieve baitcaster. Another friend uses spinning and bait-casting reels equally - however he is left-handed and used to right-retrieve on both spinning and casting reels.

If I were buying just for me, I would get a left retrieve... and I still might!
Old 03-03-12, 12:07 PM   #23
Possum
BassFishin.Com Member

That's very nice of you to consider your buds.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.