Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-06, 12:57 PM   #1
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 3rd Annual Wounded Soldiers Fishing Tournament!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am for the second year now helping promote a tournament of a different nature. In conjunction with NOVA Bass Anglers of Maryland I am helping them put together people to help with the Wounded Soldiers Fishing Tournament on the Potomac River on 3 June 2006. What is this tournament you may ask, well it's not a Bass Tournament, it's a tournament to show the men and women of our Armed Forces who are recovering from injuries received in the line of duty at Watler Reed Army, and Bethseda Naval Hospital that we care!!!

The first year was rather small an not advertised much, but last year with the help of angler from other website we were able to provide these Hero's a day on the water, that some said, was the best time they had ever had!! We provide our time and our equipment to take a troop out fishing on the Potomac River for the day, we allow them to fish for anything they want, after all this day is all about them! We have a BBQ at noon for them, some more fishing in the afternoon, and an official weigh-in. They can use live bait, chicken livers for catfish anything they want. Sponsor are encouraged!

We cannot give the troops money for the tournament, but we can give them gift cards, last year over $8000 in gift cards were awarded to the troops, everyone got something. You may see pictures from last years event at www.NOVABassanglers.com, this year we will hold the tournament as pervious years out of Colombia Island Marina in Alexandria VA, adjcent to the Pentagon Lagoon.

We have had anglers are far away as South Carolina bring their boats up to participate. This year I already have guys coming from FL, PA, SC and 1 possible from TX!!! So if any of you would like to donate you time and boat to take a troop fishing for day please let me know so I can get your name on the list. This event will be covered by ESPN. Any sponsors wanting to donate their product to this great event may do so by contacting myself at scott.favors@usmc.mil, since most of the troops do not own boats or fish very much, (for some last year was the 1st time they had ever fished before in their lives) any fishing related products donated will be raffled off for the boat captains, all money raised from the raffle will be used to purchase gift cards. Any money donated will also be done the same way, if you would like to donate a gift card you may do so, again contact myself.

I know this may sound like I'm asking for hand outs, well to be honest I am, but this is not just for any run of the mill event. These men and women put there lives on the line so we can be here today and enjoy the things we do, I feel I owe it them to show them, if at least for 1 day a good time!! We are working on having a banner made, so any sponsors that donate we will try to have their name on the banner, if it isn't (because of time line) they will be mentioned at the awards ceremony!! So far we have some major players in the bass fishing industry involved and hope to receive more in the coming days. Thank you for allowing me to post what I believe to be a worth while event!!

Added note: 3 June 2006 is a free fishing day on the Potomac River, therefore if you want to come and are out of state you DO NOT need to purchase a fishing permit for that day!! But it is for that day only, so if you want to stay longer you will need to get a D.C. permit, and possibly either a Maryland or Virginia, if you go below the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 07:03 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Gunny, I've participated in two of these type events-wounded soldiers out of Brook Army Medical Center here in San Antonio-and they have been two of if not THE most rewarding fishing trips I have ever been on. That's a little far to pull my boat, but I'll be more than happy to donate to such a worthy cause. Just let me know what you need and where to send it or what kind of gift card to get and I'll git-r-done. Just PM me with the specifics.

As I said when I posted about this last year, if you get a chance to participate in something like this-DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-06, 04:23 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

I think this a great event and it's wonderful to see good Americans taking the time to provide a fun day's fishing for the soldiers who perform a noble patriotic deed that goes beyond any of our expectations. I have also gotten to know Scott (aka Gunny), and he is a great guy and I hope to make it out for the event to help.
Old 05-18-06, 10:27 AM   #4
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

Folks if any of you are planning to attend please let me know. So far sponsors have come up big time to help this event. As I said in the above post we can't give these troops money, but we can give them all the gift cards we can get!! What I will do with the sponsor donations is run a raffle so the boat Captains have something to win also. Below is the list of sponsors thus far.

Bass Boat Saver: 2 Gallons, and 3 24oz bottles to raffle
KeelShield: Certificate for KeelShield of your choice
Guest Chargers: Brand new on-board charger!!
Stay-N-Charge: Tow charging system
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue: Several bottles of the best glue on the market!
HeavyCover.com: Spinnerbaits!
FishBlaster Baits: 3 Pro Series pack with box!
Stores-It Rod Socks: 16 Rod Socks!
BassCat Boats! Hats!

Still waiting to hear from MotorGuide, they might be donating a Trolling Motor!!!

If you can make this event to either help with the setting up, or to volunteer as a Boat Captain, it will be a time you'll won't soon forget!!
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 02:50 PM   #5
Kevin
Administrator

bump (only I can do this)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.