Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-09, 09:55 PM   #1
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Talking Baseball!!!!!!

we should all know that baseball season started tonight and im really happy ..... im not sure all of you guys are baseball fans but i got to bet that some of you are..... i just want some picks for the world series and a call out to your favorite team.....

im a huge braves fan...... hey they started the season out this year....they are beatin the phillies (who are terrible and divsion rivals ) right now going into the bottom of the 7th 4-0...... go AJ Burnett....... McCann (catcher) hit a 2 run home run in the first .... drove in Chipper..... then the first pitch of the second Francouer hit a homerun..... then 2 batters later our new center fielder hit a home run in his first mhor league at bat ...... Braves are gonna win it all this year

my rant: i cant believe Maddux retires and Smoltz went to the Redsox..... that is the end of an era..... you guys remember the 1-2-3 punch of Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux....... stuff like that will never be seen again because of free agency

call out your team and accep the braves are better.....
Old 04-05-09, 10:14 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm a Braves guy but will not watch this year in protest of the Smoltz thing. Been with them since lighting struck twice in the early 90s. I feel more loyalty to John Smoltz than I do the current management.
Old 04-06-09, 01:40 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01

cardinals fan here, and if their pitching stays healthy i say they win the central division by close to 10 games.

as for the braves being better........hahahaha ok whatever helps you sleep at night.
Old 04-06-09, 08:34 AM   #4
Foyt20
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Foyt20

Mets fan here. I was rooting for the Braves last night, but the bottom of the ninth had me sitting on the edge of my couch
Old 04-06-09, 08:58 AM   #5
cassidyta

Padres fan here. It hurst to say that right now with them predicted to lose 100+ games, but hey it is still my team.
Old 04-06-09, 09:23 AM   #6
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Braves fan here! I also like Smoltzy.Have several of his jerseys.He still makes his home in Atlanta and everyone still loves him.He's done alot for the community.I just wish he could have finished his career with the Braves.
You are right.We may never see another pitching staff like we did with Glavin,Maddox,and Smoltz.Makes me sad
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 09:46 AM   #7
aikenyounggun

yeah the guys who pitched last night was A.J Burtnett..... Derek Lowe..... im bad with names...... hes a good addition..... he went like 7 or 8 IP with 2 hits........ but yeah the bottom of the ninth had me sittin on the edge of my seat..... Braves reliever are terrible... they ble like 20 games in preseason....... man Jordan Schafer went 2 for 3 in his first MLB games..... thats cool
Old 04-06-09, 11:01 AM   #8
VinnyH
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Baseball...

Years ago I was a sports photographer. You don't make a lot of money but you have a lot of stories to tell. I'm a Yankee fan in general but enjoy it all and play fantasy baseball every year with the same bunch of guys.

Me in younger days

Bernie wth my guitar

by the cage with Roberto Alomar

Best to All,
VinnyH
Old 04-06-09, 11:11 AM   #9
Bassboss

#1 team...... Boston Redsox!

I can't belive Manny went to the Dodgers!
Old 04-06-09, 01:45 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Yankees fan here. But I lost interest in baseball during that strike many years ago. Spoiled players throughout the leagues ruined it for me and I haven't really been much of a fan of baseball since. It is a shame since I grew up loving the sport. I do hope that my son likes it as much as I did as a kid.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 01:55 PM   #11
MississippiBoy

One more vote for the Braves, but I am......hmmmm......"less than pleased" with the management letting Smoltz go. Future Hall-of-Famer, Cy Young award winner, part of that incredible Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz team, and if I recall correctly, has never played for another major league team throughout his whole career. How can you let somebody with that kind of record and dedication go to the friggin' Red Sox? Ok, rant over.

Their AA farm team is located about 20 minutes from my house, so I've had a chance to see a lot of the young up-and-comers before they went to "The Show." McCann, Francouer, Jo-Jo Reyes, Escobar...several more I can't recall now.
Old 04-06-09, 02:11 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I can't belive Manny went to the Dodgers!
i can't believe that anyone wanted that jackass. he is not a baseball player at all. sure he can hit but he is like a circus with a glove. plus all his antics make me wonder why anyone would want him in their clubhouse. and they just say "it's manny being manny". bull----. it is manny being an idiot. he is paid to be a professional baseball player, if he wants that kind of money then he should act professional. if he doesn't want to act professional then let him flip burgers for a living and make him wear a damn hair net while he is doing it. there are a lot of guys in tiple a that would love to have his spot in the lineup. they may not put up the offensive numbers he does but they could play circles around that idiot in the outfield and you would more than break even when you consider the runs they would prevent by at least having a little defensive talent. plus think of the boost that would give a pitching staff when they don't have to get 6 outs in an inning because dumbass manny can't catch a flyball and he is more concerned with high fiving fans, or playing peekaboo from the green monster. i hate manny!
Old 04-06-09, 07:59 PM   #13
Jim80

god i loathe baseball , to me there is 1 guy on the field doing something and the rest are just waiting for something to happen I would just rather watch paint dry .

Jim
Old 04-06-09, 09:12 PM   #14
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i can't believe that anyone wanted that jackass. he is not a baseball player at all. sure he can hit but he is like a circus with a glove. plus all his antics make me wonder why anyone would want him in their clubhouse. and they just say "it's manny being manny". bull----. it is manny being an idiot. he is paid to be a professional baseball player, if he wants that kind of money then he should act professional. if he doesn't want to act professional then let him flip burgers for a living and make him wear a damn hair net while he is doing it. there are a lot of guys in tiple a that would love to have his spot in the lineup. they may not put up the offensive numbers he does but they could play circles around that idiot in the outfield and you would more than break even when you consider the runs they would prevent by at least having a little defensive talent. plus think of the boost that would give a pitching staff when they don't have to get 6 outs in an inning because dumbass manny can't catch a flyball and he is more concerned with high fiving fans, or playing peekaboo from the green monster. i hate manny!
AMEN, he is the biggest waste on earth

Detroit Tigers fan
I work with Charlie Manuals brother ( Phillies manager ) Roger. Nice guy and has some stories to tell and all kinds of Indians and Phillies stuff. jerseys, hats, bats and baseballs, about anything you would want collect.

Last edited by bcklash; 04-06-09 at 09:19 PM.
bcklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 09:29 PM   #15
bamabassman

only watch the world series IF the mets, reds, white sox or the a's are there, otherwise, i am FISHING!
Old 04-06-09, 09:59 PM   #16
Bassin21
BassFishin.Com Member

Well after some of the posts above, I'm not sure I should tell anyone this, but I'm a Dodger fan. Ya'll are right, Manny is a nut case, but he can also hit the ball like a madman. As long as he hits like he is capable of, I can live with the wierd stuff he has been known to do. The last few years the Dodgers have had no offense whatsoever, so the opportunity came along to get a great hitter and they took it.

Hey bcklash, did You know that the Manuals grew up and went to school here in Buena Vista?
Bassin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 11:23 PM   #17
cassidyta

Well Bassin, I hate the Dodgers. Nothing personal, but being a Padres fan, I have hated them for years. Sadly, I expect them to win the NL west again and am hoping for 500 ball from my Pads somewhere in the next 3 years
Old 04-07-09, 06:40 PM   #18
cassidyta

I have tickets to take my sons to tongiht's Padres vs Dodgers game. Seeing a game will be good, but spending the evening with my boys doing man stuff is awesome. Go Pads
Old 04-07-09, 06:48 PM   #19
MississippiBoy

That's great, cass. I still remember years ago my folks took me and my brother to a Braves game. That was 20 years ago, and I still remember it. That's some good memories you're giving them.
Old 04-07-09, 08:02 PM   #20
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassin21 View Post

Hey bcklash, did You know that the Manuals grew up and went to school here in Buena Vista?
Yes I did and Roger lives down towards Galax and Fries area now.
He also got laid off today.
Old 04-07-09, 08:06 PM   #21
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
That's great, cass. I still remember years ago my folks took me and my brother to a Braves game. That was 20 years ago, and I still remember it. That's some good memories you're giving them.
We used to go watch the Braves when they had Dale Murphy--whata player.
Old 04-08-09, 07:11 AM   #22
keithdog

Huge Cardinals fan here. "GO CARDS"!!! Being that I live a stones throw away from Chicago, I'm surrounded by Cubs fans which makes my baseball season interresting. I really hate the Cubs. So when I get harrassed about being a Cards fan here, I simply reply, "when the Cubs win 9 world series championships you can bash me all you want". That usually ends the conversation pretty quickly. haha
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 11:46 AM   #23
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Huge Cardinals fan here. "GO CARDS"!!! Being that I live a stones throw away from Chicago, I'm surrounded by Cubs fans which makes my baseball season interresting. I really hate the Cubs. So when I get harrassed about being a Cards fan here, I simply reply, "when the Cubs win 9 world series championships you can bash me all you want". That usually ends the conversation pretty quickly. haha
i knew i liked keithdog
Old 04-08-09, 12:58 PM   #24
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Another Braves fan here...I was speechless when Smoltz was gone....I have been watching him for years as a brave....
Old 04-08-09, 05:38 PM   #25
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

absolutely agree with the original post go braves! and yep I remember the maddux, glavine smoltz days.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.