Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-07-11, 11:08 PM   #1
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Exclamation Whats your opinion on the Alabama Rig?

With new technologies and lures for fishing coming out every year, the question arises of when to draw the line between fishing and technology. Many people think that lures such as the alabama rig take the sport out of fishing, and make fishing require less skill. While on the other hand, many people find the alabama rig a useful, new lure that will increase the amount of bass you catch. What is your stand on this topic? Should the alabama rig be used? Or should it be illegal?
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 12:16 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ht=alabama+rig
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 01:59 AM   #3
joedog

It turns fishing into work.(IMO) They're bulky, heavy and cumbersome. I think if thats what you enjoy, fish it. The Pro's love it!
Almost forgot, welcome to the site. Click on bassboogie's link, I think you'll find it interesting.
Old 12-08-11, 10:35 AM   #4
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Unbelievable how much hardware is on those things. Wire, snap swivels, lead, etc. To me, using swimbaits is about making a realistic presentation. That rig defeats the purpose IMO.

If I really, really need to catch more than one bass per cast (which isn't very fun anyway) I'll just tie a tandem rig that doesn't require a broomstick to use.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 11:29 AM   #5
lilmule

Its a bona fide tool primarily used on schoolers,several baits together sort of bring out the savage beast that lies within in a bass.
However many dont heed their own states laws or where being used,5 baits with 5 hooks isnt legal everywhere.Here on ky lake we have the other problem of a state that does permit 5 and a reciprocal area that most kentuctians think only the east bank is owned by tn,claiming they know where the line is at due to hd electronics and would change accordingly.And legal if actually in ky portion,however state line runs smack down the main channel and difficult if not impossible to run and stay in one state if on the main.Currently not being enforced up there but time will tell.
Historically speaking as far as ky lake is concerned ky and tn cooperate and have same regs so you dont get in trouble,tn however may tire of trying to pass a 5 bait reg so beware.
Heres a good alternative if in a 3 rig state and legal in a 5 as well

Its not so much catching two or even three as it is triggering one into hitting.
This is a ten dollar bait made in indiana moebaits@yahoo.com,also sells on ebay,as a fall schooler action bait hard to beat.Typically catch one and have others follow this time of year,thus at times multiple hookups,used with anything from a 4 in grub,fluke or 5 in swimbait of countless varieties,mr money being one of the most popular.Tossed often with just the weight of the three or five baits themselves so not that hefty until or unless you add jig heads instead of just a 3/0 hook.

Last edited by lilmule; 12-08-11 at 11:47 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 11:30 PM   #6
skeeter1804

It's like any new style of bait, it catches fish until everyone is throwing it and then it will fall off. It is not my style so I will just let everyone else throw one.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 10:27 AM   #7
mrmuskie5

Its old news thats what i think. striper and crappie guys have been doing it for years. I have a few homemade jobs hanging on the wall in my tackleroom that look very similar. so if they are hanging on the wall and not in the boat....... not my cup of tea.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 02:05 PM   #8
Top Tiger

Not my cup of tea, either. Seems like throwing a trot line out on every cast.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 04:49 PM   #9
DVT Mike

This an adaptation of a very specific rig for very specific conditions. It is neither new nor magic.
Old 12-13-11, 12:23 AM   #10
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

I just don't think that it captures the idea of casting for bass. The rig is an almost unfair advantage. It's almost like steriods for bass fishing. I was raised on a small pond fishing plastic worms and topwaters, and have learned to enjoy and appreciate catching a bass as a result of good presentation and skill with the lure. It doesn't seem right to take a broomstick and five lures and dredge up a limit of bass. When I learned that pros were catching two bass on the same cast, it just didn't seem right. I probably won't ever fish the A-rig, because I feel that the people who fish the A-rig are missing out on the real reason for fishing: Enjoying nature and having fun. Not catching multiple bass on a five-lure rig that big bass can't help but hit. I think that this one is just a little bit too sketchy for me.
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.