Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-30-11, 01:30 AM   #1
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Mike Iaconelli Crazy?

Video on the new revo mgx from icast 2011. Look at 1:15.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlXRA...eature=related
Any thoughts?

Last edited by bassfishkansas; 12-30-11 at 01:22 PM.
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 10:07 AM   #2
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you're refering to the "...less than a pound..." phrase, the presentation was probably scripted that way. Someone had a brain fart on that without a doubt but it probably wasn't Ike. Talking into a camera and sounding natural and spontaneous is very difficult. Just another blooper. If you want to pick this apart even further, the blazing fast 7.9:1 gear ratio still only takes up 31 IPT, same as a 7.1:1 STX. Only .1oz lighter than a Core50 with slightly more line capacity. Bottom line, this a commercial with a blooper.
Old 12-30-11, 01:36 PM   #3
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

What I'm getting out of this is just how commercialized bass fishing has gotten. If he doesn't even know what he is talking about, and he can't comprehend what he is saying because he is so braindead from reading sponsers' scripts all day long, you can get an idea of what is actually going on. Just look at Iaconelli himself: he attracts attention from fans to himself on TV by acting crazy. That's not what bass fishing is about; It's about catching fish, having fun, and occasionally fishing a tournament.
Old 12-30-11, 01:54 PM   #4
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This could get interesting.......

Old 12-30-11, 01:56 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

BFK if you haven't already...read the ike thread in the casual fishing discussions forum and you'll get a feel for both sides of this strangely polarizing(sp) topic.
Old 12-30-11, 05:32 PM   #6
joedog

Old 12-30-11, 07:23 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfishkansas View Post
What I'm getting out of this is just how commercialized bass fishing has gotten. If he doesn't even know what he is talking about, and he can't comprehend what he is saying because he is so braindead from reading sponsers' scripts all day long, you can get an idea of what is actually going on. Just look at Iaconelli himself: he attracts attention from fans to himself on TV by acting crazy. That's not what bass fishing is about; It's about catching fish, having fun, and occasionally fishing a tournament.
Just because that is your idea of what fishing is about doesn't make anyone else wrong just because their idea of what fishing is about differs from yours. The subject of Iaconelli has been beaten to death on this site and there are people on both sides of the fence, some love the guy and some can't stand him. I am somewhere in the middle, he drives me nuts but he is also a hell of a stick and has found a way to stand out from every other angler in the world which has made him more marketable. I am sure that he has fun fishing or he would just find a regular job that has less stress and allows him more family time and better hours. He obviously has a good time fishing or he wouldn't make a living doing it. You can't fault a guy for making a living doing something he loves to do, whether it's fishing, driving a race car, or framing houses. Is he a little over the top with his antics and such? Hell yeah he is, but if he didn't act in a way to draw attention to himself his career would suffer because he would have less of a fan base which translates to less money for his sponsors which translates to less of a reason for a company to sponsor him in the first place. I don't like his antics any more than the next guy, but I do realize that it's just a way for him to market himself.
Old 12-31-11, 12:06 AM   #8
aikenyounggun

When you are reading from a teleprompter, you don't think. Go to YouTube and search "charles barkley teleprompter". He calls himself a dumb@$$, and he's announces quite a bit. It's one of those tv things, not a big deal, throw it on the blooper reals. Bet any of those pros can explain how one of those reels works better than half of us can
Old 12-31-11, 01:12 AM   #9
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

I can see what you are getting at. I guess I was just a little bit too overdramatic about the video and the whole Ike thing. I'll give it some thought.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.