Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-12, 09:37 PM   #1
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default In hope of a doomsday Pike

Well firstly, I have made a big change to the olde blog, I have spent most of Thursday night and early Friday morning getting the basics done an Friday afternoon knuckling down with the finer details, and still there is yet more to be done. Hopefully the design and stuff as such will appeal to you and isn't coming across as too much or 'in the face'. Either way if there is something that could be tweaked or fiddled with let me know, I can only try my best with modifying the blogs design to suit most if not all.

http://www.alexmakkfishing.com/

With Friday being the end of the Mayan calendar, or as some folk put it 'doomsday' I decided to have a 'last' crack at the canal. With Thursdays heavy rain here in Nottingham, I had my doubts on the condition of the canal and in a way I am right to have doubts it was like chocolate milkshake.

Still I wasn't put off and within a couple of casts the hooks were set, and into something heavy very heavy indeed. At first my little tyran spin doubled over and all of the sudden everything went still, surprisingly the tyran managed to lift it up to the surface so I land the thing that I'm hooked into. Sadly nothing heavy made of scales & flesh, but metal, fabric & wheels.

Well at least my little Mark Houghton Lure is still in one piece, the only notable signs or damage is a straightened hook from the rear treble.

It got on for around 11:00 and I have tried all the pegs that have produced for me, even swapping to brighter 'hothead' crank 'n' shad. but still nothing. I then have a though of venturing to another canal with Nottingham and at only a bus ride away, from what I have gathered this canal should be a lot clearer in water quality so hopefully might produce a fish or two. A short bus ride later I was on the second canal, and although it was clear the first part is very clear and very shallow with only a few inches in depth. and wherever I cast the grub and jighead was catching weed ugh! so I moved further down, and met another angler with a carp rod and a couple of soft lures, he tells me that ''this stretch of the canal has produced a few 20's and that he caught plenty of 'big'uns'' but i just carried on, knowing that they are either stories or lies, likely to be the latter. I carried on casting anywhere and every where without a sniff, so mid afternoon I decided to call it a day and headed home.
Old 12-21-12, 10:03 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

We all have days that dont produce.
I take it many of the canals are out of use or no longer connected.
Possibly had their bug out bags packed due to excessive water.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-12, 11:55 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

makk....i say the "doomsday" effect was dead on in your case. see oyu caught a stroller. which means that oyu are well on your way to sleepless nights in oyur near future. CONGRATS!!! DAD!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

at least oyu got out there sir. i have had high winds and rain and now high winds and COLD. no snow, don't want it either. but still not a good day to fish.
Old 12-22-12, 09:38 AM   #4
MrMakk

Bah, at least I managed to get out, I ain't no daddy either!

the main canal that I fish is a working one, plenty of boats around in the summer months, but come this time of year there ain't none. the other that I fished yesterday is still flowing but no boat traffic at all, in the summer it gets very weedy and practically unfishable.
Old 12-22-12, 10:11 AM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That other one you said inches deep and weedy where you started at.
Also thought was common over there to convert an old barge and live on it.
You ended up just taking a stroll,sometimes we all do.
Their are other bricklayers in the world you are not alone.
By the way happy holidays
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-12, 01:50 PM   #6
MrMakk

yep it gets a little deeper after a few hundred yards, but only a little deeper, the other angler i saw and spoken to was dragging weed on the trebles of his storm live kickin' shad

I ain't to similar with the way 'barges' & narrow boats, I like in a house of brick and mortar.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.