Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-10, 02:33 AM   #1
Tasten
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Baitcasting Reels...

Sorry for all my questions but I'm anxious to learn. The more the better I guess. I'm currently using a Shimano 9$ walmart open bail spinning reel and I was thinking of switching too a bait casting reel. My question is.... Is it worth it? I hear ups and downs too it the biggest concern is backlash. But I also hear that once you get the hang of using the break system on them and learn too use them properly then your golden. I don't see many spinning reels that are good for 12 pound and I have to re spool mine at least 3 times before it decides too work (my reel is very temperamental I guess) I'm looking too spend anywhere from 50-150$.. I also do not have a rod that has the little trigger on it to rest your index finger, not sure if that really makes a difference or its just a comfort thing but any tips,advice, and suggestions are greatly appreciated
Tasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:28 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tasten, For using heavier line it is worth it to use the baitcaster. With heavier line you will have trouble on the spinning reel unless it is very big. I wouldn't buy the cheapest baitcaster made either, I did when I first got started and hated it. The braking system is not as good as with a little more expensive reels.
The difference in the rods are mainly the line guides. On the spinning rod you have big guides and on the casting rod you can see that they are all smaller. The line is coming off the reels in different places so the guides are different.

The spinning rod is on the bottom here.

It isn't the easiest thing to learn to use a baitcaster but there are some great tips on this site and some instructions. It is definitely worth the time to learn them but can get frustrating. It might even be a good idea to look for a good used one.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:35 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Tasten, first off, question are great and it's it the only way you'll learn.

In my opinion, baitcasters are definitely worth learning. I find they are much more versatile than spinning reels, and handle heavier lures much better.

I know it may be tempting to buy a cheap baitcaster at first in case you don't like it, but IMO, if there's a time to skimp, you first baitcaster isn't it. I wouldn't spend less than $100 on a first. I learned on an $80 reel fine, and my dad learned on a $260 reel, and he learned quite a bit quicker than I did. Some good reels to check out would be the Daiwa Megaforce Plus (100), the Daiwa Tierra (130), or the Daiwa Viento (onsale for 130 from 200 at Tackle Warehouse). A couple other good ones are the Abu Garcia Orra SX, Revo S, or Revo SX. Those would be my two choices, being my favorite brands, but the Shimano Citica would be another ok choice.

As for a trigger rod, the main difference if the guides. They have a much lower profile than the guides on a spinning rod. I'm not going to say it is absolutely necessary, but it VERY VERY highly recommended you have a trigger rod. It will be much more comfortable and you'll be able to cast better with it once you get the hang of the baitcaster. Now days, you can get a great rod for a lot less than it used to cost. Shimano Clarus for $70-80. If you can spend a bit more on a rod, there are many rods in the "Value Rod" or "Budget Rod" price class ($80-120). These include Abu Garcia Vendetta, W&M Tessera, Lamiglass Excel, Falcon Bucoo, and many others.

As for the main concern of backlashing. With todays reel, you should not have any (or very few problems) if your reel is set correctly. Make sure you let us know if you get a baitcaster, I'll be sure to post the small article I wrote to help you set it up correctly.

BB
Old 03-03-10, 09:48 AM   #4
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yes it is worth your time and money to learn to use one. It want take you long to learn. Don't cheap out on the reel. I would go 80+.
Old 03-03-10, 10:02 AM   #5
CamG

Yes, learn to use a baitcaster if you plan on being in this game for awhile. IMO, there are just certain applications where a baitcaster outperforms a spinning reel ...mainly heavy line applications. I still have two spinning combos, but if I can use a baitcaster, I will.

You don't need to spend a truck load of money either. I have used and owned a ton of different baitcasters, and when I buy new - its always a Bass Pro Extreme. I think they are just as good, if not better than most reels $170 and under....you can pick one up for $80 or less new. Actually, if you can catch one of the Spring Fishing days at BPS, you can get one for $59.99.

And, as others mentioned, you will need a casting rod to go along with it. There are quite a few options out there...these would be my first choice for someone starting out, as they are great rods and you won't "outgrow" them. Falcon Original
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:04 AM   #6
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There's NO reason to buy a $100 plus baitcaster when starting out, heck, you may not even like them. Yes, a small percentage of people try them and don't even like them! So start off with something $50 - $80, just make sure to get a reel with solid reviews. If you get a $30 "Wal-Mart special" you will, more than likely, HATE baitcasting! Extremely cheap, bad reviewed baitcasters are not worth it.

BUT, you still don't need to buy a $100 plus reel, because, if you don't like them, bam you've already spent $100!

So I would HIGHLY recommend the Cabela's Fish Eagle® Tournament II Baitcast Reel (http://www.cabelas.com/p-0053331122651a.shtml). It costs $49.99 and is exactly a like, the $69.99 Daiwa Procaster they sale at Bass Pro Shops. Cabela's got Daiwa to make the same reel just with a Cabela's name slapped on it and they sale it for $20 cheaper! This reel has a good all-around gear ratio of 6.3:1, a line capacity of 150-yards of 12lb line which will handle the slightly heavy line you will use starting out, 7 ball bearings, and is still just over 8oz! Can't get a better reel for the price.

Now, for rods. YES! You need a "trigger" rod. Spinning rods are made to bend a different way than a casting rod does and it may effect your hook-sets, and with a lot of fish caught, could make your rod eventually break. You also want to have a lighter action rod for starting out. Why? Because baitcasting in the beginning is pretty hard, and to get good casting distance, you really want to LOAD up your rod! A MH rod will have to have a lot of weight to "load up" but a M-action rod with a 1/2oz jig will cast from Kentucky to the Tennessee border. Also, pick a shorter rod. 6'6" should work best. 6'6" Medium action is what you need, and 100% graphite!

For a rod, I would personally pick a Berkley® Lightning Rod® "Trigger" model, 6'6" Medium action 1pc (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults)

I would also pick a cheap, higher pound test than usual line. I would get some 15lb clear Berkley Big Game. It is thicker and easier to get a backlash out with Big Game, especially in the 15lb version. Clear is good all-around. Link : http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkl...page-BTBG.html

Use a big lure at first, it will help with casting distance. Start out with a 1/2oz bullet weight casting in the yard, and while fishing, use a big 1/2oz or bigger crankbait, or a 1/2oz jig.

I'd be glad to help you with any of your other questions, as well.
Old 03-03-10, 11:20 AM   #7
BigBassin144

I'm going to add one more thing to the over/under $100 thing. If after a month, you don't like baitcasting reels, you can always sell it and get most of your money back.

BB
Old 03-03-10, 11:38 AM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'm going to add one more thing to the over/under $100 thing. If after a month, you don't like baitcasting reels, you can always sell it and get most of your money back.
BB is right here. If you shop around, and get a good price before you buy new, you can often (not always) get back 75% of that if you soon decide you don't like it, and have kept it in like new condition (keep it clean, oiled, don't bang it on rocks falling down a river bank , etc.)

So don't let the higher price of a good baitcaster scare you into buying a cheapie. I bought a couple cheap reels (that still work fine btw...not a knock on them) when I started last year, but honestly, I really wish I could give them back for higher-end ones. If you do decide to go the cheap route, let me know...I've got a couple of Abu-Garcia Silver Max's for sale.
Old 03-03-10, 11:41 AM   #9
screwballl

I myself gave Baitcasting reels a try for many months last summer and even when I had it down, it was more work to me, so my preference still stays with spinning reels. Pretty much all my reels right now are spinning reels from the smallest ultra light bluegill setup to my main bass setup. It is worth trying it and using it for some time so you can make an educated decision.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 12:41 PM   #10
Tasten
BassFishin.Com Member

Awesome thank you for all the tips another question is though what is the gear ratio stuff, I have absolutley no knowledge of it
Tasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 01:05 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasten View Post
Awesome thank you for all the tips another question is though what is the gear ratio stuff, I have absolutley no knowledge of it
Gear ratio means how many times the spool turns per one full crank of the handle. In other words a 6.4:1 means that the spool will make 6.4 revolutions for every single turn of the handle.

I would recommend something in the 6's for a all purpose casting reel. 5's are generally reserved for crankbait setups. High speed 7's are good for certain applications but you often have to really concentrate on reeling slow because they take in so much line. Plus you lose a lot of torque with high speed reels, you end up fighting your bait if it has a lot of drag in the water.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 01:25 PM   #12
WaffleJaw

I agree with almost everything already said.

''6'' range gear ratio is also my recommendation on a started BC reel...I only have one that isnt....And like Backwater Charlie said,spool you up some heavy lb test...It will be more easier to manage and pick out backlashes when starting off.
I dont have too much more to add that hasnt already been said.

I would talk to Nofearengineer about them Silvermax's
I have one as well (my first BC) and I still use it constantly!..For the money,its a good,good performing reel.

If you act now!,Hell throw in a free t-shirt after shipping and handling!
Old 03-03-10, 04:16 PM   #13
BigBassin144

lol, waffle. Are you assuming that just because bryce has more reels than an Abu dealer he is offering the same promos?

And I lied earlier when I said I was going to say one last thing. Here's one more thing. Buy the Daiwa Viento from tackle warehouse for $130, free shipping. Then if you don't like it, I can almost guarantee you can sell it for 130 or more on ebay. Despite them being clearanced almost everywhere (Daiwa is discontinuing them), I (and Bryce) have seen used ones go for 130, or more. I don't understand why people would but it from ebay for more than they can get a new for, but they do. Take advantage of it.

BB
Old 03-03-10, 06:21 PM   #14
Bassboss

Yes, casting reels are well worth the first month or less of bad back lashes. You'll get much better casting accuracy, softer lure entry (with the ability to feather the casts, by adding steady more presser to the spool with your thumb at the end of a cast), and more lure and line control! Casting reels also can handle much heavier line (up to 25lb mono, sometime higher). You also don't have to worry about line memory as much, so you can use heavier fluorocarbon, and mono. They also have stronger drags so you can fish thicker cover with more confidence, and fear of loosing fish in the thick stuff.

I'd suggest getting a Daiwa Fuego. I've heard nothing but good things about it, it's also a 250 dollar reel (if I remember right), and on closeout at tackle warehouse for 144!! You can check out a review for the Fuego here.. But you don't have to spend a lot of cash to get learning on as casting reel. I recommend a reel with magnetic brakes rather than centrifugal brakes. The magnetic brakes are simply a little dial on the palming side of a reel that has little numbers, turn it to the bigger number for heavier lures, and smaller ones, for lighter lures. Daiwa reels, Quantum, and some Bass Pro Shops reels have it.

Have fun with, it, and if you get angry, or stuck, just set it down and do it later.

p.s. - get some cheep berkly big game line to start, it cheep and not to bad, and comes in big spools and if you get a back lash, you can cut it and respool with little pocket ware!

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-03-10 at 07:17 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 06:58 PM   #15
WaffleJaw

Quote:
lol, waffle. Are you assuming that just because bryce has more reels than an Abu dealer he is offering the same promos?

And I lied earlier when I said I was going to say one last thing. Here's one more thing. Buy the Daiwa Viento from tackle warehouse for $130, free shipping. Then if you don't like it, I can almost guarantee you can sell it for 130 or more on ebay. Despite them being clearanced almost everywhere (Daiwa is discontinuing them), I (and Bryce) have seen used ones go for 130, or more. I don't understand why people would but it from ebay for more than they can get a new for, but they do. Take advantage of it.

BB
haha, Im just hoping to get him some business so he'll say:
''Thanks Waffle!..Heres a STX for all your help!...and a puppy!''

What?..I can dream!

Tasten,I wanted to also suggest that once you get a BC reel..You may find it easier to set your braking system to med or halfway...Make a few casts,If your getting a little backlashing add a touch more brake..If theres no problems,then maybe a little less....You really just have to play with it till you find what feels right to you on the braking systems.
On your spool tensioner,starting off,I like to set it for the lure to fall at a nice medium to med/fast pace when I engage the thumb bar..I make a few light casts and make my adjustments to add more tension or less.
You need to do this everytime you change lures to compensate the different lure weights.

And dont worry,everyone on this board young and old still get monster backlashes from time to time.We just cuss a little less now.
Old 03-03-10, 07:43 PM   #16
Rebbasser

Can't add too much to what has already been posted.

Yes, they are well worth learning how to use. Here is a great link that will point you in the right direction:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

Brands? Take a look at the Bass Pro Shops Extreme reel. It is a great reel for the $. I've been using them for years.

Gear ratio? You can get technical with what it is, and there are arguments that line retrieve is more important. Gear ratio is simply the number of times the spool turns for each turn of the handle. 5:1 means the spool turns 5 times for every turn of the handle. Line retrieve is the amount of line that is reeled in with each turn of the handle expressed in inches. That said, FORGET ABOUT ALL THAT STUFF! Most reels nowdays are 6.3:1 or something similar. That will do everything you need for now.
Old 03-04-10, 08:24 AM   #17
basstech

The Breaking system that is most important to learn (and I can't emphasize this enough")Is your thumb. When you master your thumb, then you'll be golden.
Old 03-04-10, 10:17 AM   #18
nova385

Get a reel with good brakes- a quantum code is a good one to learn on, they are cheap, and with the brakes on full you have to try to backlash it. Like others said, use a large dia. line. One thing that helped me out was have someone that can use the reel make a good long cast for you. Then stick a piece of electrical tape on the spool to hold the line. Reel it in. This will prevent the mother of all backlashes, it will only peal out to the tape.
Dont try to cast 500 yard, work on short cast with no over run. The distance will come with time.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 10:39 AM   #19
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova385 View Post
Get a reel with good brakes- a quantum code is a good one to learn on, they are cheap, and with the brakes on full you have to try to backlash it. Like others said, use a large dia. line. One thing that helped me out was have someone that can use the reel make a good long cast for you. Then stick a piece of electrical tape on the spool to hold the line. Reel it in. This will prevent the mother of all backlashes, it will only peal out to the tape.
Dont try to cast 500 yard, work on short cast with no over run. The distance will come with time.
You can set any reel to the point where it WON'T backlash, even if you try to get it to, but this doesn't help you learn any thumb control, and if you want to excel at baitcasters, you must be able to control the spool with your thumb, and not rely completely on the brakes.

BB
Old 03-04-10, 01:11 PM   #20
gamecockbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

I also wouldnt start with a 100 dollar baitcaster. try the abu garcia black max it is a very smooth throwing reel for about 55-60 at wal mart or dicks
gamecockbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 09:05 PM   #21
nova385

Until he learns thumb control, the brakes will be his best friend. After using the reel for awile you will want more distance,witch you will not get until you get the spool loose and the brakes off - and forcing you to use your thumb to stop the spool. I say to use the reel to do most of the work so you do not get mad and give up tring. This is how I learned and I picked up on it quickly doing it like that.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 11:51 PM   #22
hooked2132
BassFishin.Com Member

There is no comparison to a spinning reel vs a baitcaster. I still haven't mastered the baitcaster as much as I would like to, but I can still do so much more with my favorite baitcaster (pflueguer patriarch, pricey but more than worth it) than I ever could with one of my spinning reels. You can cover so many more situations. Be patient and learn how to work your baitcaster trust me it is worth it. After all, you don't see any pros using a spinning reel very often; they know the advantages and you should too.
Now as for your first baitcasting purchase, (and you will end up purchasing one) do not buy a cheap one. Go with something around the $100 range. This will give you quality performance without breaking the bank. I recomend a Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier; that is what I started with. This will make your first experiences with a baitcaster much more enjoyable.
hooked2132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 01:58 PM   #23
Cavs1123

I agree that i like my baitcaster(s) better than my spinning combo. I started out with the Abu Garcia Black Max and hated it. I swore i would never buy another baitcaster again. Thats when i fell in love with the bass pro shops pro qualifier. i almost never backlash and it casts like a dream. The gear ratios are how many times the spool turns in 1 full handle turn. like my bps pro qualifier is the 6:4:1 model which means that the spool turns 6.4 times in 1 handle turn. i reccomend the 6:4:1 model for all around purposes. hope that helps
Old 03-14-10, 02:23 PM   #24
Bassboss

Quote:
Tasten, first off, question are great and it's it the only way you'll learn.

In my opinion, baitcasters are definitely worth learning. I find they are much more versatile than spinning reels, and handle heavier lures much better.

I know it may be tempting to buy a cheap baitcaster at first in case you don't like it, but IMO, if there's a time to skimp, you first baitcaster isn't it. I wouldn't spend less than $100 on a first. I learned on an $80 reel fine, and my dad learned on a $260 reel, and he learned quite a bit quicker than I did. Some good reels to check out would be the Daiwa Megaforce Plus (100), the Daiwa Tierra (130), or the Daiwa Viento (onsale for 130 from 200 at Tackle Warehouse). A couple other good ones are the Abu Garcia Orra SX, Revo S, or Revo SX. Those would be my two choices, being my favorite brands, but the Shimano Citica would be another ok choice.

As for a trigger rod, the main difference if the guides. They have a much lower profile than the guides on a spinning rod. I'm not going to say it is absolutely necessary, but it VERY VERY highly recommended you have a trigger rod. It will be much more comfortable and you'll be able to cast better with it once you get the hang of the baitcaster. Now days, you can get a great rod for a lot less than it used to cost. Shimano Clarus for $70-80. If you can spend a bit more on a rod, there are many rods in the "Value Rod" or "Budget Rod" price class ($80-120). These include Abu Garcia Vendetta, W&M Tessera, Lamiglass Excel, Falcon Bucoo, and many others.

As for the main concern of backlashing. With todays reel, you should not have any (or very few problems) if your reel is set correctly. Make sure you let us know if you get a baitcaster, I'll be sure to post the small article I wrote to help you set it up correctly.

BB
I recommend not getting a terria. Daiwa makes Cabela's reels, and if you get a cabela's Prodigy casting reel, than you'll get the same Daiwa reel only with a cabelas name on it, and (IMO), a better looking reel!
Old 03-14-10, 02:57 PM   #25
CMorg

I learned on a baitcaster. I cant cast a spinning outfit to save my life.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.