Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-12, 05:11 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default The one that got away...

We all have them, we all have memories of the fight, it still haunts some of us and I think I could have set a PB yesterday.

Yep, the memory is that fresh for me

I hooked into one yesterday that thought he was superman, came flying up out of the water, made his re-entry into the water, ran for deeper water and snapped my line (brand new 8lb test) quicker than a hot knife through butter.

Had my drag screaming from the moment I set the hook and I think the only thing I could've done differently was back reeling (spinning gear/drop shot). He was only 10-15 feet (if that) from the boat when he broke the line.

I'll get him another time!

Let hear about 'em guys/gals...
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 05:48 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

been there, done that. but isn't it wonderful to have it happen? i mean i know it hurts to lose it. but the thrill wehn it happens is unreal for me. makes the story bigger too. lol.
Old 11-18-12, 02:27 AM   #3
bluebasser86

I hooked one in a small lake in Northeastern Missouri that would have beat my PB. I was fishing from a 16' jonboat with a friend on a deep tree line with a beaver bait when I got a "tick". When I slammed the rod back I was sure it was a musky because it didn't budge on the hookset, just started heading for deep water, she was strong enough that she swung the entire boat around and started pulling it away from the tree line. After a few minutes of tug of war I finally saw that huge white and green side and those massive, bulging eyes. She dove back for the trees she came off of and I had to slam my thumb on the spool in hopes of stopping her. Instead my line went limp and I brought back my straightened 5/0 EWG hook. I felt numb for awhile, I caught one over 10 in Mexico and this fish was at least a couple pounds bigger. Don't know if I'll ever have a chance at another bass that size.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 12:21 PM   #4
USMCbassman

I hear ya Blue; I'm honestly thinking about switching up my tactics and strictly start chasing pigs. I.e. starting the investment into large rods, reels and swimbaits! There are plenty of giant fish out here it's just a matter of getting them to bite. One of the lakes I frequent quite often (where I lost this one), the lake record is 18lbs 1oz.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 12:33 PM   #5
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The one that haunts me isn't even the biggest fish I have lost, it was just the circumstances leading up to it that killed me. That year I made a plan to catch a new PB, bigger baits, fish for just a couple bites, and fish some great ponds for fun in the hopes of catchin a hawgggg. Well got access to this TINY pond, and first day we went out we caught em pretty good, nothing huge (from the bank). You could cast width and length wise of this pond if it weren't for a tiny island in the middle. Next day we went and fished a much much bigger pond down the road, did pretty well, and we were gonna hit the tiny one at night for a little bit with buzzbaits (what we had caught em on the day before). Well after all this preparation and excitement we didn't catch a fish in the first 5 minutes (surprising) and right as I said that I had one CRUSH it!! Let her take it down, felt her, and slammed that rod back. Felt her, thought I defintely had her good. She jumps out of the water, silhouetted in the moonlight, and in that instance I see the buzzbait come out and the line come flying towards me with the slack look. All in the moonlight..... good head shake I guess. Still clear as day.

I then went Ike so to speak, threw the hat, and in the only instance in my life, I threw the rod. All that planning and finally that chance for a good un. She was only bout 6 lbs, but man it hurt. Definitely knowing I did everything right in how I hooked her.

We all know the feeling and it hurts, but get back out there and catch another big un.
Old 11-18-12, 03:17 PM   #6
keithdog

Thats the kind of thing that make you stick to your stomach but brings you back for more. I once had a fish on in water about 30 foot deep. To this day I don't know what it was. Had it hooked on a 4 inch Slider Worm rig. I fought this fish for 20 minutes easily as he would come up but not to the surface, and then dive again. I was just keeping steady pressure on him letting him take linbe as needed when the line snapped. You could hear the groans from all the other fisherman in boats nearby who had stopped and were watching the show. I'll never forget that fish!
Old 11-19-12, 08:20 PM   #7
WTL

I always think of a bass that snapped 8 lb test on Cypress lake in florida, well over 10 years ago...

Wonder how long I will think of that fish. Wonder if it was as big as I thought it was....
Old 11-19-12, 08:25 PM   #8
lilmule

Had one a year ago spring flooded hit a jig,just a it was trashing near surface it broke the jig hook,it had a molded rattle attached to the hook,broke right at rattle,wont buy anymore made that way.
And no didnt get a look at it but huge whatever,heavily stained water.
Black n blue jig think strike king jig,50 lb braid and heavy action flipping stick.Think in those cases sometimes best not to know maybe a 40 lb flathead lol,maybe a state record whatever it was .
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 08:44 PM   #9
joedog

I'm kind of a pro ER guy. Early Release
Mastered it trying to get the hang of CR.
Still can't CPR.
More 'get aways' than 'landed trophies'.

But I will tell you, theres just something about those ERs that just seems to reinforce my drive.
Old 11-19-12, 09:59 PM   #10
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post

Wonder how long I will think of that fish. Wonder if it was as big as I thought it was....
Here are your answers Billy. Forever, and Yes.
Old 11-20-12, 09:53 PM   #11
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Here are your answers Billy. Forever, and Yes.

Damn it., Like I lost it for a second time.
Old 12-10-12, 09:45 PM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

On my last outing the bite was super light. About the only indicator was line twitches on the drop. We had about 30 mins of fishing left and I was sitting on a ledge that dropped from 12-20'. I spotted a tree coming up from the deep side and made the cast parallel with it. I fed slack and waited for the TX tornado to hit bottom. I gave it a couple of shakes and my rod went from 1 o'clock to 4 in 2 hard licks before I knew it. I set back on the hook and I could just feel her head sloshing back and forth. She then turned back to the tree and started peeling drag. I have never been able to break #12 CXX and I was lined up with #17, so I just clamped down and tried to turn her head. About that time I started feeling my line wrapping in the wood. I held a heavy bind for a few moments and dropped slack. She was gone. I did manage to break a limb off the tree as a souvenir though.

Moments like that my friends is what keeps us returning to the water. It could have been a brute 3 lber or a 13. I will never know, but I will always wonder. And I will return for another chance.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.