Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-06, 11:09 PM   #1
fishin_dude
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What's with this crap!

Have you guys and gals noticed that alot of the newer baitcasters that companies are manufacturing now have magnetic braking systems or magnetic/centrifugal instead of centrifugal brakes only? Centrifugal only baitcasters are all I've ever fished with, (for example the old Curados and the old BPS Extremes) so I decided to give the new BPS ITB mag brake systems a try and didn't think it would be to different, boy was I wrong! It's almost like I've never used a baitcaster in my life, I was bird nesting like crazy, and then the dreaded eagles nest happened! I would consider myself close to being an expert with a baitcaster(with centrifugal brakes) and my official opinion on mag brakes is they suck! I hope the industry doesn't weed out centrifugal only baitcasters, that would be a shame. They ruined the new BPS Extremes in my opinion, what's everyones thought on this?
Old 03-11-06, 01:31 AM   #2
LoneStarAngler07

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

They suck man...i hate em...i spent a good 120$ on a reel from shimano with this magnetic brake system...i had the same problem...they really suck, it would be a shame if they took the centrifugal lines of the shelves.
Old 03-11-06, 01:57 AM   #3
angelus40

i own a extreme i'm yet to use it. last weekend at BPS my sister got two
viper combo for $59 original159.98 one for her and me
angelus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 02:56 AM   #4
fishin_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarAngler07
They suck man...i hate em...i spent a good 120$ on a reel from shimano with this magnetic brake system...i had the same problem...they really suck, it would be a shame if they took the centrifugal lines of the shelves.
I don't think they will be totally eliminated, we just won't have much of a selection to choose from.
Old 03-11-06, 06:53 AM   #5
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fishing Dude, It might not be that they suck, its just that you aren't used to using the new system, so you do not have them adjusted correctly.Some reel brands are more difficult to adjust than the old centrifugal weight system reels.If you want the best magnetic system, you will have to buy a Daiwa.Their magnetic system is so far ahead of the competition, its not funny.I am talking Daiwas priced $99.00 and above, not the entry level reels Walmart may sell. I will agree they shouldn't have changed the Extreme reel, I am sure the new ones are made by Pflueger, the new pflueger Supreme has the same stupid lube port and dual cast control as the new Extreme does.The lube port is the worst new feature I've seen in years.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 11:07 AM   #6
Bender

I picked up a couple of older Calcuttas this winter, I will probably put some line on them today to practice. The only other casting reel I ever tried is a cheaper Quantum with magnetic braking, and I have not had too much luck with that, frustration is an understatement. I hope the centrifugal system works better for me.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 07:18 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

dude i have a couple centirfugal reels i am not a fan of the braking system. in fact it sucks imo.. your right switching between the 2 differant types is a pain. i like the mag brakes my self- easier to adjust when nessary- how the newer centirfugal brakes are mixed with mag brakes i don't know. belive it is a tad over kill myself..

zooker
Old 03-11-06, 08:39 PM   #8
bass kicker

with some reels they will never change like the abu C3 C4 they have been the same for ove 30 years
Old 03-11-06, 10:49 PM   #9
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

the pflueger has both centrifugal and magnetic.this should satisfy either user.if you don't like the magnets you turn them down.abu just changed the c3 and c4 to a 6 pin brake from a 2 pin system.
Old 03-12-06, 01:13 AM   #10
bass kicker

i know dodge i have one but it is still the same model
Old 03-12-06, 08:41 PM   #11
skeeter944

i like magnetic,havent tried centrifugal brakes,but am planning to buy an extreme combo in the next year.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.