Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-10, 08:53 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default A sad reminder-PFDs that don't fit don't work

Last evening a Father and his 3 year old son flipped a canoe in one of our local bays. According to the news, the child was wearing a PFD that was too large for him. This caused him to slip out of it and sink. As of 11:00 pm last night, the child was alive but the prognosis isn't good. The kid was under the water for about 5 minutes before they could find him.
I can not begin to imagine the pain that the family is going through right now and my heart goes out to them.
I believe that most of us are very good at wearing our PFDs when running the main or when we think there is a chance of flipping. However, I don't know how many of us have child life jackets for times when we might have kids in the boat.
Old 11-07-10, 10:30 AM   #2
Abbeysdad

Very sad - A fun day canoeing turns into a family tragedy. I sure feel for any parent that has to endure the pain of such a mistake.
Old 11-07-10, 10:46 AM   #3
Bob Smith

I have two of my grandchildren that live with us, one will be 11 in December and the other will be 9 in February. Both of them are excellent swimmers, but when I take them on the boat they have thier lifejackets on, and they both have the leg straps attached too. I obviously do not own a canoe, but if these younguns were thrown from my bass boat they would at least have a fighting chance if the life jackets stay on! I cannot imagine not taking those kind of precautions with our little ones. My heart goes out to the family and I hope that others learn from this tragedy!
Old 11-07-10, 01:37 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

SAD,SAD NEWS CASS. IT SEEMS LIKE NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES WE SEE AND HEAR THESE TYPES OF STORIES, IT NEVER REACHES SOME FOLKS. prayers are sent to the family.
Old 11-07-10, 04:20 PM   #5
66KingFisher

Sad story.....Unfortunately, safety equipment only works properly when its sized and used properly....beit a PDF or a carseat, seatbelt, or a crash helmet....I've seen too many people hurt because their safety equipment failed due to human error and not the equipments fault.....I can't imagine what the parents are going thru after something like that, but maybe this story will save others....Prays sent.
Old 11-08-10, 09:35 PM   #6
Abbeysdad

Not to make light of this story, but here's a bit of a laugh. When I was a just a little guy my family was vacationing at a 'camp' on a lake in Canada. The place had a beach and a swimming area down near the docks. My mom had strapped me into one of those old school puffy orange life jackets and out in the water I went. The trouble was it was not rated properly for my weight and strange as it may sound, when I got to deep water it flipped me upside down. I fought as hard as I could but I could not right myself and get my head above water. Fortunately I wasn't being totally ignored and all my thrashing got attention. As I was about done for all my struggling, my mom got me upright.
Some things you never forget. Another couple of minutes and this might be ghost writing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.