Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-09, 01:51 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lessons learned from this weekend

1) The Shakespeare Hannah Montana Fishing combo is not designed for a big fish.

2) If you should ever see a big fish hooked on one of these, do not attempt to be super dad and take the rod to assist. (Even if she is asking you to)
2-A) While there are several clicks to setting the drag, there really are only two settings. Loose as heck, or stop a truck.

3) Attempts to muscle the fish through weeds on one of these combos can result in a snapped rod which is immediately followed by a crying 6 year old.

4)While these combos are available at wal-mart and target, there is no guarantee that you will be able to find one at a chain store anywhere close to you.

5)When the two hours pass and you do finally find the combo, it may end up being at a higher price than you had originally paid for the combo.

6)By the time you find the combo, the daughter may no longer express interest in fishing for the day.
Old 08-03-09, 01:54 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ROFL....I can only imagine the trials and tribulations of taking a little girl fishing.
Old 08-03-09, 01:59 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

lol.....this is the same for the shakespeare ''barbie'' model as well,im sure
thanks for the heads up....havent taken her out fishing yet,but we practiced casting in the backyard....it was fun for her for about 10 minutes....she's 6 as well
Old 08-03-09, 02:04 PM   #4
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
lol.....this is the same for the shakespeare ''barbie'' model as well,im sure
thanks for the heads up....havent taken her out fishing yet,but we practiced casting in the backyard....it was fun for her for about 10 minutes....she's 6 as well
She has caught bass and bluegill on her's without too much of an issue. This bass however was a good 4lbs.
On a side note, while the line on that combo has a lot of memory, I think I could tow a car with it. It just would not break even after the fish buried in the weeds.

My daughter is my most consistant fishing partner. She has made three hour sessions with me. I have found that one of the keys to keeping her happy is a pack of pink robo worms. As long as she can be fishing with a pink worm, life is great for her.
Old 08-03-09, 02:47 PM   #5
Bassboss

lol cass! Sounds like quite a day! Just get her one of those ladies pflueger president!
Old 08-03-09, 03:14 PM   #6
woody

If she keeps hooking into those 4 lb.'ers, she may need a rod upgrade, pops.

Something like this might be to her liking-http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104133_100003003_100000000_100003000?cmCat =CROSSSELL_PRODU
CT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1554455_i-684871.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	4007  
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 04:02 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

lmao i just love the way cassidyta writes stuff lol. funny stuff cass, but that probably depends on which side of the fence you are on. look at the bright side you didn't get a ticket for anything. and if anyone was watching and seen you holding her hannah montana rod, you would have fit in because you live in a state where grown men using girly stuff is pretty normal hahahahaha. just kidding buddy, it's great that you take her fishing and even better that she likes going with you.
Old 08-03-09, 05:09 PM   #8
cassidyta

It actually wasn't bad at all. She and I got to spend time together and that is all that matters.
I appreciate the ideas of other rods, but to a 6 year old, it is all about Hannah Montana. We had actually looked at other rods, but she simply would not have it.

As far as holding the rod, I will put it this way. I figure that my only true shot at a real bass boat is by using my daughter as the medium between me and my wife. My daughter and I have been discussing what shade of pink we will paint the boat when Mom let's us get one. While I expect to receive a few looks and some laughs at a pink boat, I will at least have a boat.
Old 08-03-09, 05:44 PM   #9
Jim80

I feel ya cass my eight year old broke the reel right out of it's seat on a big fish and then grabbed the line with his hands to bring it in , never no what is gonna happen when the kids are out with ya .

jim
Old 08-03-09, 06:17 PM   #10
The Meat Fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
I feel ya cass my eight year old broke the reel right out of it's seat on a big fish and then grabbed the line with his hands to bring it in , never no what is gonna happen when the kids are out with ya .

jim
I'm thinking of a lunker taking this kids bait just to fool with em' guess he didn't count on him jumping into action like Steve Irwin!
Old 08-03-09, 06:25 PM   #11
1/4 stick

I thought a lot of guys had pink boats in CA.

Just kidding. I remember when everything had to be barbie with my daughter. Now she's 19 and everything just has to be expencive.
Old 08-03-09, 06:26 PM   #12
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Meat Fisher View Post
I'm thinking of a lunker taking this kids bait just to fool with em' guess he didn't count on him jumping into action like Steve Irwin!
Bet the fish thought, "Crikies!"
Old 08-03-09, 06:49 PM   #13
3dkicker

When she's ready to upgrade a buddy of mine custom builds rods with pink blanks. Maybe for her sweet sixteen!!!
Old 08-03-09, 09:14 PM   #14
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
It actually wasn't bad at all. She and I got to spend time together and that is all that matters.
I appreciate the ideas of other rods, but to a 6 year old, it is all about Hannah Montana. We had actually looked at other rods, but she simply would not have it.

As far as holding the rod, I will put it this way. I figure that my only true shot at a real bass boat is by using my daughter as the medium between me and my wife. My daughter and I have been discussing what shade of pink we will paint the boat when Mom let's us get one. While I expect to receive a few looks and some laughs at a pink boat, I will at least have a boat.
I wonder if Kevin Short, Bassmaster Elite Pro Angler, had the same idea with the pink bass boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	4017   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	4018  
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 09:45 PM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
I wonder if Kevin Short, Bassmaster Elite Pro Angler, had the same idea with the pink bass boat.
He probably thinks as long as the check is in the mail. I remember Clunn being a pansy mansy in the 90s too. Nice visual Cass.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.