Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-10, 10:35 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default another hawg from Japan

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/b...ahira_20100826

Artificial bait this time
Old 09-07-10, 11:08 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mannnnnnnnnn.........they feeding them thangs and massagging em giveing em beer to fatten em up. they always gotta try to show us up.
Old 09-08-10, 06:11 AM   #3
Bassboss

Wow, that toad looks real big up against the small Japanese guy!! Real hawg for sure, fat as one too.
Old 09-08-10, 07:11 AM   #4
walkeraviator

It looks like it would have a hard time swimming... lol
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 02:29 PM   #5
Jrob78

That fish is giant, (obviously)!!

I found this quote interesting, wonder what he means?

Quote:
I still cannot believe this miracle happened to me. I would like to recommend the mid-stroke technique with the One Up Shad lure for your next big bass.
Old 09-08-10, 03:10 PM   #6
cassidyta

I believe he is talking about where he treated it as a shakey head.

"I let the lure fall to the bottom and shook it a little. Then I noticed the line slacken, so I set the hook and felt a powerful pulling for a long time. I could not force him to the boat, so I fought with him about 5 or 6 minutes, and he finally came to surface."
Old 09-08-10, 06:54 PM   #7
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I bet he feeds the fish shad in the back of a cove... notice his baits a shad ? Mabe he feeds them and throws his lure in and the fish is accustomed to it and bites it?
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 08:31 PM   #8
cassidyta

I think that is quite a stretch. I have tons of shad lures but ti doesn't mean I chum with them. I also don't think I need to get a bass used to a shad to have them hit it.
Old 09-08-10, 11:01 PM   #9
TN_Bassin

Well guys I've come to a conclusion... we all buy lottery tickets and the one who wins pays for everyone to move to japan...
Old 09-08-10, 11:02 PM   #10
bassinbob

Oh boy! Can't wait to throw my new BBZ shad and catch a hog. That thing is a monster.
Old 09-09-10, 11:17 PM   #11
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
I bet he feeds the fish shad in the back of a cove... notice his baits a shad ? Mabe he feeds them and throws his lure in and the fish is accustomed to it and bites it?
I read the Bassmaster article where they went to Japan last year to fish with and interview Manabu Kurita, the guy who caught the tying world record fish. He said that he would go and buy a bunch of baitfish called ayu, and take them out with him to where he knew there was a good population of big bass. He'd rev his engine for several seconds, slap the water with his hand, then release all of the baitfish. So after spending maybe $10,000 buying and releasing the ayu, and spending a lot of time to prep that one spot, he would go there, rev his engine, slap the water, then cast a swimbait.
Old 09-09-10, 11:45 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I read the Bassmaster article where they went to Japan last year to fish with and interview Manabu Kurita, the guy who caught the tying world record fish. He said that he would go and buy a bunch of baitfish called ayu, and take them out with him to where he knew there was a good population of big bass. He'd rev his engine for several seconds, slap the water with his hand, then release all of the baitfish. So after spending maybe $10,000 buying and releasing the ayu, and spending a lot of time to prep that one spot, he would go there, rev his engine, slap the water, then cast a swimbait.
Just one more reason I will never regard that record as legitimate.
Old 09-10-10, 10:09 PM   #13
bamabassman

Ditto nofear!!!!!
Old 09-10-10, 11:45 PM   #14
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Just one more reason I will never regard that record as legitimate.
You're just mad because you didn't think of it first...
Old 09-11-10, 08:36 AM   #15
bamabassman

is this what you are gonna do at CALLING PANTHER? gotta think of SOMETHING for that dam'd lake huh? maybe you should try it.
Old 09-11-10, 09:18 AM   #16
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

This is a good read. I actually think I mostly agree.

http://www.thebbz.com/articles/article13.html
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 10:23 AM   #17
lilmule

I agree ,and baiting in hunting is an illegal act,why not in fishing,or get a big pool stock it feed them then catch a record.
Another account of that record has him tossing live ayu not the swimbait,guess his sponsors wanted the fame as well,as for fishing in japan 2 grand in launch fees each time or thereabouts,was a corporate effort.With more money poured in than any average even pro angler could afford.
result from me is plain distaste for the angler and the sponsor,resulting in me never ever buying anything from them.
Will the record be caught eventually yes,hopefully buy some normal guy regardless of where or what nationality and hopefully with an artifical lure.
Is there another George Perry,somewhere im sure there is but a pro isnt one for sure nor is any corporation,or a joint effort by both,backed by fort knox.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 11:16 AM   #18
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
I agree ,and baiting in hunting is an illegal act,why not in fishing,or get a big pool stock it feed them then catch a record.
Another account of that record has him tossing live ayu not the swimbait,guess his sponsors wanted the fame as well,as for fishing in japan 2 grand in launch fees each time or thereabouts,was a corporate effort.With more money poured in than any average even pro angler could afford.
result from me is plain distaste for the angler and the sponsor,resulting in me never ever buying anything from them.
Will the record be caught eventually yes,hopefully buy some normal guy regardless of where or what nationality and hopefully with an artifical lure.
Is there another George Perry,somewhere im sure there is but a pro isnt one for sure nor is any corporation,or a joint effort by both,backed by fort knox.
Live bait can be used anywhere that I know of for fishing. And, baiting a hunting sight is not illegal in many states. Plain and simple, this guy didn't break any rules of the IGFA, and passed his polygraph. He caught the world record fair and square.

What is the sponsor you're speaking of? And, where is this information on launch fees? How do you know it was a corporate effort? What you're saying may be true, but I'd like to read it for myself. Please post a link to all these facts.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 11:27 AM   #19
Jrob78

I have to agree with Cam. In Texas, deer hunting over feeders is the norm not the exception. You can't bait migratory game birds but I think that's about it. Dove fields are planted the year before so it isn't considered baiting, but it's still basically the same thing. Most other hunting is done with calls, decoys, scents, you name it.

Fair chase is still in play, the odds of him catching that fish are still astronomical. Isn't chumming pretty common in saltwater fishing? Artificial cover is placed out by fisherman all over the world to attract and catch big fish. Don't you guys all have electronic fish finders on your boats? Does releasing live baitfish really stack the odds of catching a world record that much more in the fisherman's favor?

Last edited by Jrob78; 09-11-10 at 11:33 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 09:35 AM   #20
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You have to remember fish finders dont really work... The main thing you look for is the rock structure or grass and water temperture how deep it is if there is a drop off ect... ( That way us fishermen dont have to use goggles)
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 11:00 AM   #21
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Does releasing live baitfish really stack the odds of catching a world record that much more in the fisherman's favor?
I think you only need pay attention to one fact. They have caught two 20+lb bass in Japan in the past 14 months. This should tell you that it is a mission on their part to produce these fish.

I simply don't look at fishing this way. In my mind, it has become all about growing a record bass, and not finding and catching one. That is a shame.

It's sort of like buying a mail order bride. Twisted and sad.

By the way, I feel the same way about baiting game animals. A hunt should be a hunt...not luring them into an ambush.
Old 09-13-10, 04:55 PM   #22
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
This is a good read. I actually think I mostly agree.

http://www.thebbz.com/articles/article13.html

I wouldn't mind it if us San Diegan's weren't all lumped into one group.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.