Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-21-08, 04:22 PM   #26
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs up

This is a good idea and a cool thread. I'm Jaison from Roanoke, VA. Fish all around the state and a little in NC. Tournaments are my real sickness but I ain't too afraid of hoofin' a bank or two when the droughts on. We had a Sportsmans warehouse just open up and a Gander Mountain is almost open so the fishin's bound to be good this year (if the ponds stay full)! Ya'll be safe and good luck!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 04:52 PM   #27
Cranebird

Ven, It's going to be rough task for ya here, being a school teacher and all. Carpy's gots good english, but they is some like myself that don't.Please forgive me for what I not know today, I ain't gonna learn tomorrow or the next either . Ivan
Old 02-21-08, 08:35 PM   #28
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bob...the only thing i can tell you about weiss is IT IS SHALLOW. hahaha. the crappie capital of the south though. i always put in at leesburg. it is right at the dam end. the weatherman says it is gonna be cold too. if you are bass fishing. when you put in go towards the dam, there is a channel you'll be going through. start fishing there. all the way down. you will see a camping area on the right and a fairly big slew, watch out it gets shallow there. but i caught a few on the ledge going into the slew. then i went straight across to the other side. you will go across a small channel. it is an old creek bed. caught some there as well. the average depth is 4 to 6 ft. it was late summer and i used a buzz in the morn and a lizard in the afternoon till evening. lizard color was crawdad. and had to fish it REAL SLOW actually had to let it sit for about 20 seconds then barely move it, and repeat. i never went up the lake so i really couldn't say much else. sorry i have only been here for 2 yrs . i will fish weiss more this year. hope you have lots of luck. by the way they say that the lake is deeper up around Ceder Bluff. the have caught strips weighing around 35 pounds. let me know what you catch and all. don't worry, i don't tourny fish. just for fun and food. mmmm tastes like chicken, lol. and i am sorry i don't know riverside camp bob. hope i helped you. but above all remember towards the dam and most slews are very shallow. stay in the main channel or you'll ruin a prop. i learned the hard way, lol.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 11:31 PM   #29
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like the way bama says "The only thing I can tell you is..." like there's only ONE THING he knows about fishing this lake, and then types a friggin' paragraph of detailed info about places to try, lure colors, presentation, etc...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 09:52 AM   #30
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
I need to come down your way and get you to show me around on Lake Westpoint!! If you ever make it back up here, give me a holler!
I will surely call on ya
As far as westpoint lake is concerned i don't really know that much about it.I grew up here most of my life but never had a boat.Usually i'm beating the banks of a pond near my house.Yesterday i bought my first bass boat(I'm so proud lol)I picked it up yesterday from my buddy's house in the pouring rain.To say i was a little nervous is an understatement.I made it home alright and even backed it in my driveway which is on an incline an mostly pea gravel and pine straw between several large pine trees.One of my concerns about the boat was how well i would do on the boat ramp but i think now i'll be ok
As far as the boat is concerned.She ain't much to look at but good for a starter boat i reckon.At any rate i'm fixin' to learn a lot more about westpoint lake real soon.
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 10:50 AM   #31
Bob Smith

Whup, the two happiest days of boat ownership is the day you buy it and the day you sell it!

Everything in between is driven by the bait monkey!

I would suggest you take the boat to church parking lot, or something similar, and practice backing the boat until you are comfortable with it. Be sure to stop before you get all the way down to the ramp to undo the trailer, load your tackle and whatever. Never ever back down the ramp then do all of those things especially if other folks are waiting to launch!

Anytime you come up this way, with a little advance warning, I would love to take you out fishing up here, even if it's on Allatoona!
Old 02-22-08, 11:21 AM   #32
MIbasser

Whup,

Three words... REMEMBER THE PLUG!!! I used to go to the launch in the morning (at Higgins Lake) on busy weekends and just laugh my butt off at people when they back up, forget the plug, wife's yelling... it's a hoot!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 11:22 AM   #33
crankybait

Well hello guys. I'm crankybait, aka cranky...or Doc. Bassintom can chime in with his own nickname if he would like to. Anyway, welcome to BF.com, from NJ. have fun
Old 02-22-08, 04:41 PM   #34
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Did I mention hes is in pre-pre-med?

-Lunk-
Old 02-22-08, 07:03 PM   #35
bamabassman

mississippiboy well i only said what i did on the lake. sorry it took a whole paragragh. too much reading for you? lol. kidding of course. i have only lived for a couple of years. was in south alabama for 17 years. hurricane ivan victim. was raised n blount county alabama though. fished guntersville, smith and local ponds till i moved south. so i don't have alot of info on weiss .... YET! but be for sure i will.
Old 02-22-08, 08:41 PM   #36
bcklash

Welcome Pignjig, I live near Roanoke in Elliston. I fish SML early and late in the year, to much traffic and to many lake fleas for me. I fish Claytor alot even though it's tough. I feel like I have part ownership in Sportmans Warehouse and can't wait till Gander Mountian opens. Speaking of Gander Mountian I just found out they own Cabelas. Anyway WELCOME.
Old 02-22-08, 09:06 PM   #37
zooker

hi guys err the name is zooker and well i am a bassaholic with a bad tackle monkey..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranebird View Post
Please forgive me for what I not know today, I ain't gonna learn tomorrow or the next either . Ivan
he!! crane bird i have known ya for 30+ years and ya aint lernt nothin yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post

I would suggest you take the boat to church parking lot, or something similar, and practice backing the boat until you are comfortable with it. Be sure to stop before you get all the way down to the ramp to undo the trailer, load your tackle and whatever. Never ever back down the ramp then do all of those things especially if other folks are waiting to launch!
come on bobber you'll spoil all the fun of watchin a first timer back in..
especilly if it is a long ramp like falls lake ledge rock ramp-eww-

if you see guys unstrapin the boat and getting ready to launch while waiting in line. do it here, NOT ON THE RAMP.
eww nothing boils my greens faster than a moron half way down the ramp and starts to unstrap the boat..

zooker
Old 02-22-08, 10:21 PM   #38
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Did I mention hes is in pre-pre-med?

-Lunk-
Beleive me, it ain't fun. I wont even be dreaming about free time till the middle of senior year (thats in 2 years)
Old 02-23-08, 12:32 AM   #39
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

hello and welcome to all newbie's...my name is bassdaddy,(but thinking it's about time to change that, due to all the groupies following me around BPS),I too am a bassaholic,,with a side of bait monkey,,and i have one other affliction,,,,,,(we're friends right?) i also am strapped with a throttle monster,,, yes, my right foot bigger than my other one is,,but thats ok,, because i have a limp line,, but a sharp hook,,so welcome to the nut house,and don't let zooker or bob smith's big grin scare ya off,, they just been hanging out here too long
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 12:47 AM   #40
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

oh yeah,,,one more thing you really need to know,,,, i reeeallllly like (make that love ) blowing past those skeeters with that ugly black lump clamped on the back,,,it's so easy a cave man can do it
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 11:44 AM   #41
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I can't wait to blow by all of you when I get my Champion. Soon...

-Lunk-
Old 02-24-08, 12:05 AM   #42
bamabassman

hey.. ya'll gonna fish or race? hahaha kidding
Old 02-24-08, 08:21 AM   #43
Cranebird

Zooker, Ever since I was a little kid, My mom and Dad would tell me , "don't give up hope." They both been dead for over 11 years now and I still anit learned a damned thing.When do you supect that learning curve will kick in ?:confused :
Old 02-24-08, 08:32 AM   #44
Captmikestarrett

Default I plan to learn this year

Hi my name is Capt Mike Starrett I am a professional guide for saw toothed guppies. I use a size 46 hook with an imature mosquito baited on it.

I have caught world record line class saw toothed guppies on -2lb test..

I came here to learn how to catch green trout.

Capt Mike
Old 02-25-08, 02:08 PM   #45
Cranebird

Whats a saw tooth guppy ? Zooker anit that what you used for bait ? No wait that was a Sand Minnow.Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

P.S. Meh!
Old 02-27-08, 01:15 PM   #46
rodman rat

From North Central Florida, I have been bass fishing about a year. I have a triton bass ride and like to mostly fish rodman reservoir. The biggest bass I have caught so far was 6lbs but I can not post pix. Have read this site all year and received so great info
Thanks
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 01:24 PM   #47
addair
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
This is a good idea and a cool thread. I'm Jaison from Roanoke, VA. Fish all around the state and a little in NC. Tournaments are my real sickness but I ain't too afraid of hoofin' a bank or two when the droughts on. We had a Sportsmans warehouse just open up and a Gander Mountain is almost open so the fishin's bound to be good this year (if the ponds stay full)! Ya'll be safe and good luck!
Whats up jignpig,

Your not far down the road from me. I live in evington. right behind london downs golf course on the right off of 460 before you get into lynchburg. Im just starting to learn how to fish smith mt.. wish i had more advice for ya. i do know you need to be a good dock fisher. they do well with perch colored jigs and #7 shad raps off the docks. also senkos.
I was wondering if you fish claytor at all? ive never fished it. Going for the first time this march. Got any pointers? see ya at smith.
addair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 01:34 PM   #48
addair
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Welcome Pignjig, I live near Roanoke in Elliston. I fish SML early and late in the year, to much traffic and to many lake fleas for me. I fish Claytor alot even though it's tough. I feel like I have part ownership in Sportmans Warehouse and can't wait till Gander Mountian opens. Speaking of Gander Mountian I just found out they own Cabelas. Anyway WELCOME.

whats up backlash,

Im in evington just outside llynchburg. About 30 mins. from Smith. have you got any claytor lake advice. never fished it. I know its mostly smallies and spots. gotta fish it in late march.any advice would be greatly appreciated. Jignpig might be able to help me some too. thats close to his neck of the woods. See ya at smith. I'm like you when it comes to the lake fleas. The jet skiers don't seem to have much respect for fishermen there.
addair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 10:51 PM   #49
bamabassman

got a idea for the skiers. learned this along time ago at smith lake in cullman, al. take an old rod, put the biggest treble hook you got on it, adda couple ounces of weight. when they try to spray you, just throw it at them, my buddy did this and snagges a skier's ear lobe, haha, ripped it off. when the warden came by, the skier said he was just having fun with us. we were in a slew minding our own bisnuss. the warden said "you shouldn't have tried to spray them" and gave them a ticket and did nothing to us. cause we said we were just fishing and they got in the way. never had trouble again outa them boys.
Old 03-02-08, 12:36 PM   #50
basschick
BassFishin.Com Member

You are all so lucky to have already started fishing! Ice fishing is all I have right now. I am from a dinky spot called White Pigeon in Michigan, where spring cannot get here fast enough. I got my first five pounder LMB last summer (that's pretty big around here!) and cannot wait for the next! I love reading the fishing reports but can't wait to post my own. Take care and good fishing!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.