Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-08, 09:25 PM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default 1st Tourney of the 2008

Well the truck is loaded, and the gear is ready for our first buddy tourney of 2008. The winter hit this week here, with temps getting into the 20's, but with a nice warm up since Thursday, temps should be int the 70's tommorrow. I will list the setups I'm taking, and will post the results either tommorrow evenong or Monday.

1. Smithwick Rogue
2. Bomber Crankbait
3. Terminator Spinnerbait
4. T-rig 1/8oz pegged
5 T-rig 1/2oz pegged
6. Gold Spoon
7. Fluke

I expect we will be running and gunning most of the day. Most of the fish that we've caught recently have been from jerkbaits, spinnerbaits and cranks, with some plastic thrown in. I let you know how the bass decided the weather was like, and if they liked my choices rotflmao. I will probably throw a Red Rattletrap also during the day I didn't want to take any more rods, and believe it or not zooker, I donwsized my bag, and gear, only have about 25lbs I'm taking

Lizards
Old 01-05-08, 09:51 PM   #2
zooker

i don't belive it..

zooker
Old 01-05-08, 10:16 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

When the cold moves in up here it is jerk baits with 30-60 seconds between moves. I've done better with wacky rigged Senkos and painfully slow drops. That is with WTs in the upper 30s. When it's not quite that cold guys do well on traps too, throwing them into weeds then ripping them out.
Good luck!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 11:01 AM   #4
crankybait

Lucky you, still fishing. I'm going to try to weasel a fishing trip outta my dad for my birthday. It will be cold, but I can't stand this anymore. Good luck, bring us some nice pics
Old 01-06-08, 11:07 AM   #5
JB

Hope ya have good luck lizards, we are hitting coldwater fla. in mid feb for a week of fishing. Hope ya choose the crawdad small bomber for "emergencies"
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 08:36 PM   #6
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

good luck lizards! sounds like a solid strategy.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 12:26 AM   #7
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Well, good luck, Lizzy! Hope 'ya catch a few, and think about how miserable I am with no water to bass fish...

-Lunk-
Old 01-07-08, 04:43 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

how'd it go lizards?
Old 01-08-08, 09:13 PM   #9
lizardsrule

BRUTAL

That pretty much sums it up

I tied on a c-rig on another rod before leaving for the tourney. 24 boats entered, and 8 teams weighed in fish. Out of those 8, 5 of them had 1 fish. The winners had 5 fish for 19.92lbs It's been a very, very long time since I got skunked, and not only did we both get skunked, we got 0 bites, not even a mudfish bite. That's what I really can't believe. The cop who watches out for parking, and entry's(local guy), asked where the cage was located to the winners. They obviously did something none of the rest of us did. The water temps were in the low 50's, which was 10 degrees cooler than when I fished Tuesday. We had fog until 11am, but launched at about 7:10am. Since my buddy doesn't have a gps on his boat, thank goodness for my cheapo whistle/compass I keep attached to my vest, we needed it just to make any progress in the fog, it was bad in areas. Anyways, I guess I learned what not to do, we of course tried everything and anything, but couldn't buy a bite. We saw no one all day even try to set a hook on anything, but obviously the winners did something that was successful, I just don't know what. Anyways it was a huge dissapointment, since we were catching 20-30 bass a day previous to the tourney, but that's fishing for ya.

Lizards
Old 01-08-08, 10:14 PM   #10
JB

dont beat yourself up , sometimes guys come in with fish that were all caught in a 15-20 minute window of activity, and the rest of the day had lockjaw.
right place at the right time scenerio.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 10:16 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Good luck Lizards

BB
Old 01-09-08, 12:55 AM   #12
carolina-rig-01

been there, and been on both ends of it (the short end more times than not). i guess that's what keeps us going back. and what keeps bait companies in business, i always convince myself "if i would have had this bait, it would have been different", so i go and buy a ton of them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.