Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-08, 08:36 PM   #1
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo
Default Caught this smallmouth in a pond !!!! ? ? ?

Casted under a tree with my spinner were tons of baitfish were sitting and I saw this smallmouth just dart out and nail it...let me remind you this is a pond ! when i saw it hit i was like damn is that a smallmouth ??? sure enough it was i was shocked and still am.
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 08:43 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

great smallie dude. fantastic. congrats!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 08:45 PM   #3
WTL

Well I'll be. Unless things are different up there, somebody had to have put that smallie in there. Nice one too.
Old 04-02-08, 08:55 PM   #4
BassMoJo

Things are no different up here, this is a first for me after 12 years of hardcore fishing ...so yea I figure he had to be released ?
Old 04-02-08, 08:58 PM   #5
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great Looking Fish, Congrats.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 09:00 PM   #6
WTL

Probly so. Of course it happens all the time, people like the variety that smallmouth give so they release a couple here or there. I've thought many times of illegally releasing a few down here into different places, I live about 100 miles south of their range so they probably would survive...just not thrive....
Old 04-02-08, 10:08 PM   #7
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That's a nice smallie... I agree has to be a transplant... must've been awesome!!! Catching a surprise fish in a pond is great, you may recall the pike my son caught last year in a pond that we had no idea held pike! anyway, great fish!
Old 04-03-08, 01:37 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01

smallmouth in a pond........how sweet is that!
Old 04-03-08, 03:17 PM   #9
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

A buddy of mine used to load his pond with smallies, then he sold his house and property. it was awesome while it lasted.

Congratulations, though! It is indeed awesome to catch a surprise fish. What's better than a surprise smallmouth?
Old 04-03-08, 06:03 PM   #10
WTL

The thing about putting smallmouth in such a place is not whether or not they can find food or survive in slightly more dirty, slack water, they can. They arent all too much different from any other bass after all.

The question is, could they out compete other gamefish in the same pond, some of which possibly are better suited to survive in those conditions.

Frequently I see spots battle smallmouth for dominance in streams. Now if spots werent in those streams, smallies would thrive, but in some places where the underwater terrain is right the spots can just outcompete.

What does this mean for our discussion?

If one wanted, upon digging a new pond they could very likely stock it only with smallmouth (and other species to support the smallmouth), and such a pond would likely develope a very fishable population of smallies. The only limit would be if the pond got too hot in summer or lost sufficient oxygen, but even so I hazard a guess that the smallies could handle temperatures almost as warm as largemouth.
Old 04-03-08, 08:49 PM   #11
BassMoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
That's a nice smallie... I agree has to be a transplant... must've been awesome!!! Catching a surprise fish in a pond is great, you may recall the pike my son caught last year in a pond that we had no idea held pike! anyway, great fish!
Yea I do remember that ...if I remember right it was a pretty big one to ?

And WTL, This sparked my interest so I had to do some reading on the topic ...The smallmouth bass is far different from the largemouth mostly because of the obvisious reasons, but I also was reading that smallmouth may only be able to spawn under certain conditions with rocks and such to make there own unique bedding or nest that attracts females.
Old 04-03-08, 10:21 PM   #12
WTL

You would be suprised what an animal tries to make do when fornification and reproduction is involved. Trust me, I've seen 8 years of it in college.

Why do smallies need the rocks? Perhaps the rocks help give the smallmouth buck an advantage in defending the nest against predators. Perhaps without the rocks, the fry will be hatched, but more disposed to being weak and less liekly to find immediate food. If then, there are other predators around, that could be a death nell.

Still, in the unnatural situation I was imagining, where there are no other large gamefish more suited for the new pond, those fry will survive cause they are the only predators in town. IMO.

This could all be proven or disproven with field tests. Thats what we really need.

Of course, the far more difficult task would be keeping other more native fish from somehow finding their way into that pond.
Old 04-04-08, 04:45 AM   #13
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

My buddy's pond was really deep, was spring fed, and full of rocks. The forage were crayfish and various minnows that his son trapped, they did very well. Plus we're in Wisconsin, so the summer heat doesn't get too unbearable. The smallies did very well. Bullheads did somehow manage to arrive, but my friend said he caught a 3 1/2 pounder with a bullhead's tail sticking out of it's throat. Other bass, or worse, northern pike would've messed it all up.

I remember reading an article (probably in In-Fisherman) about largemouth and smallmouth fry and how well they survived in grassy areas vs. rocky areas. The largemouth did better in grassy areas, the smallmouth did better in rocky areas. Obviously, a big advantage is their natural camouflage.

WTL did you study fisheries biology for eight years, or was it biology/zoology, what? Regardless, I'm envious.
Old 04-04-08, 10:14 AM   #14
WTL

No, I studied political science, which means I learned how to BS like I know what I'm talking about in a whole bunch of fields.
Old 04-04-08, 03:15 PM   #15
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Was little Johnny headed-to school as this photo was taken? I see somebody has their backpack on!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 05:11 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nice smallie!
congrats on the nice fish

BB
Old 04-04-08, 10:16 PM   #17
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
Was little Johnny headed-to school as this photo was taken? I see somebody has their backpack on!

-Buzz
Ever wonder if maybe that is what he carries his tackle in?
Old 04-05-08, 05:06 PM   #18
3dkicker

Mo - Any small streams close to the pond? I fished a small farm pond in Great Falls, VA once that held tons of good smallmouths. Had a small stream that ran by it and may have flooded once or twice and the smallies got caught in the pond once the water receded. Owner of the property had no clue how they got in the pond or that they were smallies. Just thought they were brown largemouths.

Nice fish.
Old 04-05-08, 08:24 PM   #19
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by senko View Post
Ever wonder if maybe that is what he carries his tackle in?

After I edited the first time, yes I did realize it; I was to lazy to edit two times...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 06:48 PM   #20
BassMoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Mo - Any small streams close to the pond? I fished a small farm pond in Great Falls, VA once that held tons of good smallmouths. Had a small stream that ran by it and may have flooded once or twice and the smallies got caught in the pond once the water receded. Owner of the property had no clue how they got in the pond or that they were smallies. Just thought they were brown largemouths.

Nice fish.
No ....I dont think there is but you make an intersting point !!
Old 04-06-08, 07:01 PM   #21
brushhog

That's how we figure the pike made it to our ponds, the Mohawk river runs nearby and there is significant flooding every year....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.