Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-08, 09:08 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Just a feeling...

Well yesterday my dad had to go in to work because they needed to finish a job that has to be done monday. I would've waited till today! Anyways, he called me and told me to get some fishing stuff ready cause he had a feeling to go fishing today. I was at the pet store getting some stuff for my Ball Python, so I couldn't do it until I got home. By that time we were later than we wanted to be, but we decided to go anyways.

So I'm getting stuff ready, when my dad tells me he can't turn the key in the boat. When we tried to turn the key, the whole key cylinder turned After about a half an hour my dad was able to get it fixed. So we headed up to Lake Hudson (a.k.a. Lake Mudson). We got there to find more there than we had ever seen. There were maybe four or five parking spaces left out of a maybe 3 dozen. So we launched the boat (while two more guys pulled in behind us. We get the boat in the water, and I remembered something. THE PLUG!

I asked my dad if he had put it in, since he normally does before we leave he house. he didn't... we put the front strap on the boat and bulled it out of the water enough to put the plug in (after it drained of course). Then we relaunched.

By the way, we were Musky fishing (you know, the fish of 10,000 casts (how many hours of trolling does it take to equal 10,000 casts??)) We hooked on our newly purchased (friday night) 4.5" baits (yes, bass lure sized...) and started trolling at 2-2.5mph (most people troll 4-5mph for Musky).

We trolled along the wind blown shore for around about 20 minutes when my rod bent in half. I though I hit the bottom until the rod straighten out and bent about 3 times! I jumped up, and could barely pull the rod out of the rod holder, and I finally got it. My dad had stopped the boat and started pulling in our 3 more lines.

My first Musky!!! I saw him in the water when he got close to the boat. He looked to be about 30-34" Which was perfectly fine with me seeing as he was my first. As soon as he was in the landing net, I new he was much bigger than I first though. He thrashed around in the boat before we could even get lcose to him to get him out of the net, or the hooks out of the next/him for that mater. After a while we got him.

He was an awesome 42" long and 21" in girth! He sure was fat! according to the Musky weight formula, we weight 23.15 lbs!!!!!!!!!! By far, the biggest fish I've ever caught!!!!

We continued to troll with another four hits (which alone is considered a good day in Musky fishing)

Now let me end my story with a celebratory WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the ever so humble,
BB
Old 08-17-08, 09:11 AM   #2
BigBassin144

P.S. Pictures to some soon (since I don't know how to put pics on the puter form my cell phone yet. And that IS my dad holding MY fish, but only because he doesn't know how to work my cell phone.

BB
Old 08-17-08, 09:43 AM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

nice BB can't wait to see the pics ..
Old 08-17-08, 08:02 PM   #4
bamabassman

bb144, the wifey don't believe ya pal. i do. hahahahaha, she wants to see a photo. great story and glad you got to go fishing pal. by the way...lisa is kidding with ya. but DO post a pic man.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 08:43 PM   #5
MIbasser

Sounds like a great fish BB, can't wait for the pictures.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 09:44 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Good news and bad news.

Bad: The pics may be a while

Good: we went out fishing again tonight and I landed another Musky.

Better: The pics for this fish (on the digitial camera) are uploading to photobucket as I type.

BB
Old 08-17-08, 10:05 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Ok, so we went to BPS today looking for some more smaller baits. (it's always a good when a trip to BPS is involved. ) Anyways, they have none, so the baitmonkey decides to spend our money elsewhere. We ended up getting a Berkley Lip Grip w/ 30lb scale, and a new rod holder for trolling.

We leave for the lake as soon as we get home and get the boat loaded. We get up there, and put out 3 of our lines while I try to figure out how to work the new rod holder. (it's a special kind that release the rod when you pull it up, instead of having of having to pull the rod out the end). After I get it figured out and clamped to the side of the boat, we get that line in the water.

we drive around for a while until two of our lures get tangled.I reel them in and am working on the knot, when my dad wants to give it a try. So I let him try and take over the wheel. I wasn't in the seat 3 minutes when the rod next to me bends in half! We drop the tangle, and get the only other lur eout of the water to avoid tangles.

I get the musky to the side of the boat and and hand the rod to my dad. then (after three tries) I get the lip grip on him good, and hoise him in. Not nearly as big as my first one, but it'd still eat any of the bass I've caught.

he was 37" long, and weighed 10lbs 12oz on the scale. Not the biggest fish, but nice.

here's me with the fish.

Here's a close up of the fish

By the way, that lip grip/scale was worth every penny when landing these musky.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 08-17-08 at 10:14 PM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 07:58 AM   #8
Jim80

nice fish BB they must put a up a heck of a fight
Old 08-18-08, 10:57 PM   #9
bamabassman

ok,ok she believes ya now bb. hahaha. great pics.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 04:35 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Thanks guys, and Jim, they do put up a pretty good fight. It'd be better though on 10 or 12 lb mono instead of 30lb braid.

Hope to have another one (or two ) after this weekend, cause yes, we are going out again.

BB
Old 08-19-08, 04:36 PM   #11
Jim80

good luck over the weekend BB
Old 08-19-08, 04:38 PM   #12
BigBassin144

thanks man! I'm going to try to get some cool pics of a musky for my digital photo class too!

BB
Old 08-19-08, 04:40 PM   #13
Jim80

You should do one of the alligator style photos with your head in it's mouth (hehehehe) .
Old 08-19-08, 05:04 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Lacerations all around my head from 1/4"+ razor sharp teeth. YAY!!

BB
Old 08-19-08, 06:06 PM   #15
Jim80

well now i didn't say to let the mouth close on ya but if ya want the picture to be that intense by all means go ahead .
Old 08-20-08, 04:52 PM   #16
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Sweet! Good job BB!
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.