Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 02-12-11, 01:15 PM   #1
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo
Default Hunting...

Not sure how many of you guys do, but I took it on this year to help keep my mind off fishing. But any way just wanted to brag and little and showoff my first bow kill.

I know this has been done before, but we got alot of new faces soo...

Who hunts/fishes, and which do you enjoy more, your thumb in 5lb+ bass mouth or your hands wrapped around a P&Y buck?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backround-1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	6238  
Old 02-12-11, 01:45 PM   #2
CamG

Congrats on that buck! Killing a buck with a bow is an accomplishment. I've been doing it for almost 20 years now and it has definitely changed!

I'm torn on which I like more...right now if given the choice between the two, I'd have to take bass fishing. Ask me next fall, and my answer may change.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 02:40 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have deer hunted ever since I can remember. When Britney and I started dating she went and sat with me a few times and she fell in love with hunting as well. So for Christmas one year before we were married I bought her a deer rifle and she has been hunting like crazy ever since as well. It's another great way to spend time in the outdoors and there is no adrenaline rush quite like buck fever. The last several years I kinda reached the point where although I still enjoy rifle hunting I usually just sit with Britney during rifle season and focus more on bow hunting because I enjoy bow hunting more.

I also got into predator hunting this year and that is a blast as well.
Old 02-12-11, 02:47 PM   #4
BassMoJo

CR, thats awsome man. I to prefer bow hunting just because it really adds to the thrill of the hunt. I harvested one with a rifle this year and that was enough for me it just didnt do much for me.

I to like to predator hunt, but we dont have many yotes around here so I focus on foxes and such. Calling them in at night is a blast they come charging in right to you. I bought a .17 HMR last week just for that pretty cool little rifle!
Old 02-12-11, 02:50 PM   #5
coachpurdy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice buck. I deer hunt when I can but I prefer bass fishing. I would much rather chunk and wind than sit in a deer stand.
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 02:52 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
CR, thats awsome man. I to prefer bow hunting just because it really adds to the thrill of the hunt. I harvested one with a rifle this year and that was enough for me it just didnt do much for me.

I to like to predator hunt, but we dont have many yotes around here so I focus on foxes and such. Calling them in at night is a blast they come charging in right to you. I bought a .17 HMR last week just for that pretty cool little rifle!
A .17 HMR is a good little gun, especially for animals like a fox. I bought a .243WIN a few months back that is my new predator gun. Mainly we hunt coyotes but we also have a lot of Bobcats (which are really cool) and have some fox around here as well.
Old 02-12-11, 03:23 PM   #7
CamG

I really enjoy predator hunting as well!
Old 02-12-11, 03:38 PM   #8
bamabassman

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-11, 05:50 PM   #9
BassMoJo

Nice in MD bobcats are on a closed season. I really wanted a .22-250 but the .17 HMR allows me to use it for just about all small game which is nice
Old 02-12-11, 06:04 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Nice in MD bobcats are on a closed season. I really wanted a .22-250 but the .17 HMR allows me to use it for just about all small game which is nice
I thought about buying a .22-250 instead of the .243. But I wanted a gun that Britney could use as a deer rifle in a few areas we hunt where long shots are possible. Although a .22-250 is very capable of making long shots and killing deer, I know the possibility of her putting a marginal shot on a deer at long range and the .243 is a little more forgiving if you put a marginal shot on a deer. Down the road though I will probably buy a .22-250 and maybe a .223. A .17 HMR is another gun that I wouldn't mind having too.
Old 02-12-11, 06:06 PM   #11
CamG

Quote:
I do own a .17. While I like it, it definitely isn't a gun for coyotes or bobcats (unless super close). The .22-250 is a good choice as well.

My favorite gun is the one I shot this cat with in December. It's a .204 Ruger. IMHO it's the ultimate predator round. I've taken a couple dozen coyotes all the way out to 400 yards with it as well.
Old 02-12-11, 06:25 PM   #12
BassMoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I do own a .17. While I like it, it definitely isn't a gun for coyotes or bobcats (unless super close). The .22-250 is a good choice as well.

My favorite gun is the one I shot this cat with in December. It's a .204 Ruger. IMHO it's the ultimate predator round. I've taken a couple dozen coyotes all the way out to 400 yards with it as well.
Thats a good caliber aswell.

And Cory, that .22-250 is a pretty nasty round hopefully one day somewhat soon. And I agree with your choice of the .243 deff a more ethical way, while killing a deer with a .22-250 is very possible theres isnt any room for error in your shot

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.