Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-11, 05:04 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fluorocarbon fishing line?

I recently bought fluorocarbon fishing line because people say it is best when for getting soft plastics down deep. i haven't used it yet on the lake. i have taken a few casts in my back yard but the line seems to jump off the reel. the line is on my Abu Garcia Cardinal. all the past times i put mono on my reels and not to much of a problem. Am i doing something wrong? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott the fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 05:07 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm no expert on fluoro, but I do know that a lot of them suck. What brand name of line did you get, and what pound test strength? Some more knowledgable members will be along shortly, and they'll need to know that info.

Welcome to the site, by the way. You do know that the new guy has to buy everyone a beer, right?
Old 07-12-11, 05:53 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post

Welcome to the site, by the way. You do know that the new guy has to buy everyone a beer, right?
He's not kidding. You really do. I've always heard about flouro jumping off of spinning reels due to it's stiffness. Some are softer than others. I've never used flouro on a spinning reel because of all the negative comments I've heard about flouro and spinning reels. I'm sure you'll get some good advice soon from guys here who have. And ummm, boy am I thirsty.
Old 07-12-11, 06:26 PM   #4
bamabassman

make my "beer" a bottle of tequilla, or a case of COKES. i don't use flour. and i have NEVER had a problem getting my plastics down deep with braid or mono line. the sinker weight does that for oyu. jsut my 2 cents pal.

and welcome to the BEST site on the web bub. great folks here. if oyu pay us right, hehehehe.
Old 07-12-11, 06:46 PM   #5
Scott the fishman

haha funny beer joke but i am 14 and its berkley and 12 lb test
Scott the fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 06:47 PM   #6
bamabassman

ok, 12 yrs old huh? then it's COKES for everyone!! thorw in some moon pies and oyu got us for life buddy.
Old 07-12-11, 07:38 PM   #7
nobass

well berkly and 12 lb test may be the problem i do not throw spiinng euipment all i use is bait caster. better going with braid p line 8 or lighter if it where me just my thought and bama any tru southern knows its rc coke a cola and a moon pie
Old 07-12-11, 08:18 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Berkley what... Vanish? Trilene 100%? Either way, in 12lb test for a spinning reels, trash it.

I have switched from mono or fluoro on spinning reels to 10lb braid. If I was going to use FC, it'd be 6-8lb test Seaguar InvisX. The most manageable FC I've used to date.

Sunline Super Sniper is a line many like for finesse duties on spinning reels and will probably be the next FC on my list to try.

BB
Old 07-12-11, 08:19 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ok, 12 yrs old huh? then it's COKES for everyone!! thorw in some moon pies and oyu got us for life buddy.
12lb test bama. 14 Y.O. "BWAHAHAHAHA!!!"

BB
Old 07-12-11, 08:32 PM   #10
Scott the fishman

it is 100% vanish
Old 07-12-11, 09:27 PM   #11
bamabassman

sorry i got the age/line test backwards. been weedeating ALL day in 110 degree heat index. and yes, i meant to say RC COLA and moon pies. gotta pour in a bag of salted peanuts in that bottle of rc too.
Old 07-12-11, 10:01 PM   #12
Bassboss

Usually if line is jumping off a spinning reel, it's usually one of 3 problems.

1# You over filled the spool - If the reel has to much line it, it'll jump off, regardless of breaking strength. Fill it about 1/8" away from the spool lip.

2# You've got to heavy of line on the reel - Heavier line has more memory the lighter line. I wouldn't use more then 8lb fluoro on 2500 spinning, or 6lb on a 2000 size.

3# You bought bad fluoro - Hate to blunt, but not all fluorocarbons are created equal. So of it is stiff and wiry, other is soft and supple. Do some research before buying fluoro. Don't get the cheap stuff thinking you'll save money. Most likely you'll end up hating it and buying some better stuff.

Edit -- Sounds like you ran into problem #2, and #3. I haven't used used fluoro on a spinning reel a while. But some of the more manageable fluorocarbons on the market are seagaur invizX, and sunline super sniper. I haven't used either, but those really seem to be the norm.

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-12-11 at 10:07 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 10:40 PM   #13
Scott the fishman

i know i havent cause there is 3/8s from the spool lip but yea i will do some research next time thanks
Old 07-12-11, 10:45 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott the fishman View Post
i know i havent cause there is 3/8s from the spool lip but yea i will do some research next time thanks
Good to hear. Don't give up on fluoro. if you find a good one, I'll like it for what it's good for (i.e. worms, jigs, cranks, deep spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, senkos, ripbaits.. and some more that ain't coming to mind, lol).
Old 07-13-11, 05:42 PM   #15
Bob Smith

I've gone to braid on all my spinning reels. I use 20# Power Pro (6 lb dia). The only thing I use flouro for is leaders now. I have spent several hundred dollars on numerous brands of flouro and tried the danged stuff on Spinning and Baitcasters. All I can say is that it just doesn't do it for me. In fact I find myself going more and more to Braid for a whole bunch of techniques including lipless cranks, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and all of my plastic and jig applications.

I prefer Dr. Pepper (Waco, TX), and Coca Cola was invented in Atlanta (hard to get much more southern than that!) and yes I have poured salted peanuts in an RC before, even poured Pixie Stix flavored sugar in there too! Pass me another Moon Pie, Johnboy!
Old 07-14-11, 03:53 PM   #16
mrmuskie5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
I've gone to braid on all my spinning reels. I use 20# Power Pro (6 lb dia). The only thing I use flouro for is leaders now. I have spent several hundred dollars on numerous brands of flouro and tried the danged stuff on Spinning and Baitcasters. All I can say is that it just doesn't do it for me. In fact I find myself going more and more to Braid for a whole bunch of techniques including lipless cranks, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and all of my plastic and jig applications.

I prefer Dr. Pepper (Waco, TX), and Coca Cola was invented in Atlanta (hard to get much more southern than that!) and yes I have poured salted peanuts in an RC before, even poured Pixie Stix flavored sugar in there too! Pass me another Moon Pie, Johnboy!
+1 except i love fc on casting reels.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 04:45 PM   #17
bassboogieman

Yo 'Bama - wish I knew you like the tequilla, I have a killer Margarita recipie. Unfortunately I cannot drink them the night before fishing - I won't get out of bed until noon.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 11:15 PM   #18
HawksFan67
BassFishin.Com Member

I have 10 lb Seaguar InvisX on one of my spinning reels with no problem. You think it's hard to see it under water....hell, I have a problem seeing it out of the water...........
HawksFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 09:23 PM   #19
Flippin TN
BassFishin.Com Member

Hi Scott,
I like using Florocarbon and I know what you mean. I did something that makes using it a little easier and it seems to work. I I like to tie on a hook then hook a tree or something rigid back off a hundred yards and stretch it...just until you feel it relax...don't break it. Tug it or pull dont yank. Keep tension on it with the pressure constant you'll feel it stretch then just hold it in that tension for a few moments, count to ten then go to where you have it ties or hooked and cut the hook off or cut the knot however you fastened it. go back to your rod and reel the line back on. Tie on a 3/8 ounce jig and try casting it across the yard or out into the water and see if it acts better. Sometime this get rid of the memory and relaxes the line and it will stop jumping off the reel. It works for me.
I also like to use braid say #15 and then tie on a 4" leader or 12# flourocarbon. they are almost the same size and join them with a Albright knot.
http://www.animatedknots.com
Flippin TN is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.