Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-08, 11:51 AM   #1
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Problems with 2 Quantum reels... Need help Quick!

A couple of weeks ago I cleaned and lubed all of my spinning and baitcaster reels. Since I have my first fishing outing tomorrow I'm getting my rods ready that I'm going to take. I just found out that two of my quantum bait casters aren't quite right!! One is an Accurist Pt and the other is last years KVD signature series reel.. Love them both! But anyways, I spooled them both with line, put casting plugs on them to see how there doing, and both of the reels are having the same malfunction! When I push the thumb bar down to dissengage the spool, its hard to pull line out for about 6" to a foot, then something just "breaks free" and line comes out smooth like it normally should. Sometimes when I press the thumb bar I can't even cast because something is seizing up the spool from spinning freely. I've been cleaning these reels for a few years now and haven't had any problems like this. I'm thinking I either put greas/oil in a place that shouldn't have it, or I didn't put grease/oil in a place that is suppose to have it. I need to get these reels working by tomorrow!!! Does anyone have any trouble shooting or know how I can fix this?? Thanks!!
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 12:15 PM   #2
k-money
BassFishin.Com Member

I had that problem last year. I just took the reel apart and cleaned everything up. Not sure what was wrong with it but it worked the same as it did before after I cleaned it. I was using some grease on my reel before it started to do what yours is, i haven't used it since and it has been working fine. Hopefully you figure out what is wrong with it, good luck.
k-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 12:24 PM   #3
fishin' fool

I'm using quantum hot sause, I've been using it for the past 5 years on all of my reels with out any problems. When I press the thumb bar down, its almost like the drag is holding the spool from spinning free.
Old 03-15-08, 12:51 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

check to see if you have to much line on, or perhaps the line on the very edge of the spool has dug in while you were reeling. If thats not it, check to see if you over lubed the reel or spool. Another culprit could be a speck of sand or dirt. I'd tear it apart for peace of mind.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 01:29 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like you might have over lubed it. Try opening the gear case and wiping off some of the grease.
Old 03-15-08, 02:41 PM   #6
torelaxandenjoy
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin' fool View Post
A couple of weeks ago I cleaned and lubed all of my spinning and baitcaster reels. Since I have my first fishing outing tomorrow I'm getting my rods ready that I'm going to take. I just found out that two of my quantum bait casters aren't quite right!! One is an Accurist Pt and the other is last years KVD signature series reel.. Love them both! But anyways, I spooled them both with line, put casting plugs on them to see how there doing, and both of the reels are having the same malfunction! When I push the thumb bar down to dissengage the spool, its hard to pull line out for about 6" to a foot, then something just "breaks free" and line comes out smooth like it normally should. Sometimes when I press the thumb bar I can't even cast because something is seizing up the spool from spinning freely. I've been cleaning these reels for a few years now and haven't had any problems like this. I'm thinking I either put greas/oil in a place that shouldn't have it, or I didn't put grease/oil in a place that is suppose to have it. I need to get these reels working by tomorrow!!! Does anyone have any trouble shooting or know how I can fix this?? Thanks!!
fishing fool, as you know I am a off and on fisher, but I have had some dealings with reels when I was doing more fishin, I had this problems years age when my rod feel into the sand on a beach. I cleaned it real good but some sand was still in the casing and worked its way into into the gears where it was magnified by the lube. You all know more about this than I do but I thought it may trigger another thought.
torelaxandenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 04:57 PM   #7
Cranebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
check to see if you have to much line on, or perhaps the line on the very edge of the spool has dug in while you were reeling.
Thats my vote also.Check to see when you put the line pawl position in the center of the reel and cast it to see if it still does it. If t is way to one side the line might be slapping from being pulled to that side before the spool speed slows down where the line doesn't slap anymore ?

I'm thinking the line is binding or you might have some how have a loop of line overlapped the line coming off the spool when you rethreaded the line back up.
Old 03-16-08, 02:58 AM   #8
fishin' fool

I know it's not sand, cause I've never used it around sand, only out of the boat, and I've tried casting it and it still seizes up every once and a while... I still can't figure out what is wrong. I guess I'll have to send it to Quantum to get them fixed. thanks guys!!
Old 03-16-08, 12:46 PM   #9
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Perhaps the thumbar has problems releasing when you first push it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.