Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-03-08, 03:30 PM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default BassFishin Get together 2/2009

Last year i offered to host the get togethor for 2009 via of a joke from WTL. My question is before i move any further forward. Is that what do you guy's want. Or do you want to meet somewhere else. If i do do it we will do it in march below truman durring the annual white bass run. I have to tell you it is a bit unpredictable in weathor here in Mo that time of year. But the whites will be hitting regardless. The heated lodging at uncle Gabby's & a warm breakast from Maxines each day. With some coffee to go course. We should beable to tuff it up. We are on the jet stream so that could mean a 50 degree day & the next it could be 20. So you need be be prepared for that. If you choose else where i will not be insulted at all what so ever. Just post your opinions. Majority rules on my planning.

Last edited by Lilmoosecountry; 12-03-08 at 03:36 PM.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 03:44 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It just seems a little early in the year to me, and white bass arent quite real bass. They're plenty fun though. We need to have a robust discussion here I think and figure a plan.
Old 12-03-08, 03:57 PM   #3
Lilmoosecountry

WTL snagging season will be in effect for spoonbill. The big big cats are always run'n down there. Stripes & wally's will be good as well. You can bass fish that time of year. Just bring a good supply of stickbaits. As i said we can do it else where. But i plan going my self in march i always do.
Old 12-03-08, 04:10 PM   #4
WTL

I know it. There is bound to be some fine fishing there.

There are several factors that must be considered.

First, we need to know who in theory would like to attend this event.

Second, we need to know those people's locations. Its best to position the thing within a days drive of their residence.

Third, we need to understand what time most people are available. March? April? May? Summer?

Then, we pick a location. As far as your location sounds, it sounds fine - but the weather is probably going to cause problems for others as well. I don't think I could attend. Too far to play early season roulette with the weather so I can fish for white bass.

The Guntersville event worked last year, first cause John did a great job, but also because it had the advantages of being at a good time of year, it was a centrally located lake and lake Guntersville is always ranked as a top tier trophy bass fishery - as I told someone else, "even if it turned out I didnt like you people I could still go fishing on a great lake."
Old 12-03-08, 04:21 PM   #5
Lilmoosecountry

There is not one lake in Missouri that can't holds it's own to other other lakes. Smithvile,Truman, Table Rock, Stockton, Lake of the Ozarks, Bullshoals, Pome de terre, Taneycomo. No state has more famous lakes than missouri. Read your stat's Mo plays host to more fishing tourments of every type than any state in the US. Plus Mo is right dab in the middle of the US. That is why were able to host so many fishing events.
Old 12-03-08, 04:25 PM   #6
WTL

Thats great, and maybe Mizzou would offer an opportunity for more western anglers to attend - we just need to treat this like its in real early, preliminary stages.

But since we are finding out info, how far is you proposed idea from trout fishing, and what type of trout? What is the closest major city or town? What about camping opportunities? Last year I was near broke so I (and Daniel) brought tents - some might have to do that again.

(BTW, is there a Lamberts close by?)
Old 12-03-08, 04:38 PM   #7
Lilmoosecountry

The best trout fishing in the US is at Taneycomo in Branson on the white river. Which holds the worlds record for the largest brown trout ever caught. lamberts is just outside springfield. BPS world headquarters is springfield. The bait monkey is hard to get off your back at the worlds largest BPS.
Old 12-03-08, 04:39 PM   #8
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dont forget about us Yankee's,Mizzery aint that bad of a drive.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 04:44 PM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

Nope & fishing is like south meets north. It's a hienz 57 type of fishing. Where both yanks & southeners should do well. We could do it later in the year if yall want at the same place. But we get very busy in the ozarks in the summer months.
Old 12-03-08, 04:45 PM   #10
WTL

I really think we do need to aim for later in the year. What is the closest town? I want to see where we are looking at exactly.
Old 12-03-08, 04:47 PM   #11
Lilmoosecountry

Warsaw MO.
Old 12-03-08, 04:53 PM   #12
jmartin

Hey Guys I got family in Versailes and California. How close is that to were yall wanna fish? I may be interested.

Jerry
Old 12-03-08, 04:53 PM   #13
chubs

I understand the later in the year weather is more predictable, but it sure would be nice to time it with the spawn!
Old 12-03-08, 04:55 PM   #14
Lilmoosecountry

That'z up to you all. I'm just going to step back & see what you guy's write.
Old 12-03-08, 04:56 PM   #15
WTL

Well yeah, but your from minnesota! Anything is warmer to you, haha.

BTW, Lilmoose - I ate at Lamberts - South today. For some reason we got one down here, its great.

Last edited by WTL; 12-03-08 at 05:03 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 05:02 PM   #16
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Well yeah, but your from minnesota! Anything is warmer to you, haha.

BTW, Lilmoose - I ate at Lamberts - South today. For some reason we got one down here, its great. Thats a shame you cant host, hope everything is OK.
I posted that comment at the wrong site Wtl. It was in regards to another site & another event. Everything is fine. I just posted at the wrong site. Just had to many open URL's at the wrong time. Got alittle mixed up where i was. It sucks young man being old.
Old 12-03-08, 05:06 PM   #17
chubs

30's kinda chilly for a tent but doable!
Old 12-03-08, 05:11 PM   #18
Lilmoosecountry

http://www.unclegabbys.com/ & http://www.unclegabbyscabins.com/cabins.htm These are just next door to my lake house. Only about 5 miles from warsaw.
Old 12-03-08, 05:42 PM   #19
rrw4258

I realize that too many people may not want to do this but im just throwing it out there... Sandusky, OH... Lake Erie... great fishing for largies and smallies. If the water is too rough you can stay in the bay... and just fish for largies. Also, there is great camping nearby, and Cedar Point Amusement Park is nearby along with other attractions... perhaps in the summer. Just throwing it out there. Lets here your thoughts!

Ryan
Old 12-03-08, 06:13 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

Good ideas, everybody...let's throw everything in a pot and stir it, see what rises to the top.

AND, it doesn't have to be just 1 get-together. Northwest region, Midwest region, South region, Texas region, etc...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 06:21 PM   #21
chubs

Only thing with coming up my way is no Double Digits.
Old 12-03-08, 06:30 PM   #22
carolina-rig-01

moose........just a thought but what about having one at grand lake sometime closer to the summer? there isn't a better lake anywhere around here than grand when it comes to largemouth and even some kentuckies (except maybe table rock). it's heaven for a power fisherman and the finesse guys hold their own there as well.
Old 12-03-08, 06:50 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

There are a couple reasons I'd have to say this may not be possible.

1. Temperature/weather. To us northern guys, cold ain't bad, but some of the southern guys might not come because it'd be cold. I personally, would rather be cold, cause it's easier to dress warm than to cool yourself down in near 100* weather. And heck, if this spring is gonna be anything like last, we'll still be ice fishing in march.

2. White bass... They're considered pests by the walleye fishermen here in the Maumee River in Toledo about a 20 minute drive, if that, from my house. It's a bit farther than that to MO. And I'd rather fish for real bass.

I like C-rig's idea though. I wouldn't mine coming out ot MO to fish grand lake or table rock.

Just some thoughts to think about.

BB
Old 12-03-08, 06:52 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I realize that too many people may not want to do this but im just throwing it out there... Sandusky, OH... Lake Erie... great fishing for largies and smallies. If the water is too rough you can stay in the bay... and just fish for largies. Also, there is great camping nearby, and Cedar Point Amusement Park is nearby along with other attractions... perhaps in the summer. Just throwing it out there. Lets here your thoughts!

Ryan
Smallie fishing on Erie, or even St. Clair would be a pretty cool get together. I'd definately come.

BB
Old 12-03-08, 07:45 PM   #25
WTL

Since we are now throwing out options;

Last year G'ville was very successful, might as well throw that in. Its the best lake for trophy largemouth that we are going to put on the list. Might be one of the best in the world.

Or, Joe Wheeler State Park near Wheeler dam. It has many cabins, rustic camping areas, world class smallmouth fishing with lots of very good sized largemouth - the cabins are on Wheeler lake but you have the lock and a good ramp onto Wilson lake 2 miles away. I know this area well.

Reelfoot Lake Tennessee - It would be able to draw people from the midwest, north, south and possibly Texas.

Sam Rayburn, possibly.

We really need to get a map with the possible people who are interested in going and look for a good location relative to that.

If we discover that there are enough interested parties, but spread out, we might consider Mississippi's idea of regional locations.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.