Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-10, 10:25 PM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default English-Learn it!

Tim James is a gubernatorial candidate from the great state of Alabama. He's raised a lot of controversy with his new political add stating that the drivers license exam will only be given in English if he's elected.

Living in Texas this hits pretty close to home as we are faced with growing illegal immigration and a large group of people that seemingly wish to open the borders to whomever.

Obviously this country is made up of immigrants from all over the world. The difference is, those immigrants assimilated to form the U.S that we know today. Is it too much to ask that if you come to this country seeking work and a better life that you at least try to fit in? Doesn't it make sense that if you are going to get a drivers license you at least be able to read the street signs?

Not trying to start a heated political debate and I don't know anything else about Tim James but I think it is really refreshing to have someone say what many of us have been thinking for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ohsvJHkbY
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 10:29 PM   #2
bassinbob

It's coming. Street signs in English and Spanish. He'd get my vote if I lived there.
Old 04-28-10, 10:41 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yep BELIVE it. it is going to happen..i had to learn spanish for work, had an ecellent el-salvadorian teacher..

remember there is something like 11+millon mexicans in the US.

zooker
Old 04-28-10, 11:00 PM   #4
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It has gottin way out of hand. If they want a better life so bad they could atleast come here legally.
Old 04-29-10, 03:51 AM   #5
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

This is a sensitive topic for many, but I know when I cross the border I expect to speak Spanish to the majority of people I see in south America. Where do we get as a nation with people who cant even speak our language? I have rather strong feelings about this so Ill keep it to that ....hasta manana
Old 04-29-10, 05:19 AM   #6
WTL

I don't care if the whole english thing is right or wrong, Tim James is the son of Fob James, a former several term guvunah of alabama. He is a political player who wants to illicit support cheaply, and is using a cheaply appealing gesture.

One guy says he likes the 10 commandments. One guy says he wants the mexicans to lurn english. One guy says he likes families.

And that is our republican primary in alubama. Depressing stuff.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 07:25 AM   #7
1/4 stick

WTL is right. I wouldn't put too much faith in that. It's about the same thing as me telling my ex that I was only going to buy a 6-pack knowing full well the store on the corner only carried 12-packs. "It was out of my hands. I had no choice but to buy a 12 pack unless I wasted the gas to drive out of my way to get 6." A promise with a easy way out is all it sounds like it is.
Old 04-29-10, 07:48 AM   #8
Bassboss

Makes scene to me! If some one that speaks another language (and does not know English) should have to know some English. Not all of it, or the same amount we know. But a good amount in order to get by!

The Spanish & English street signs would not get my vote (if I could vote! ) Because what about Asians, Russians, Italians, etc.
Old 04-29-10, 12:01 PM   #9
cassidyta

Why are Canadian signs in both French and English?
Because that country has stated that they are both offical languages of the country. We however are without an official laguage.

BassBoss,
I have to disagree with your logic on why not to do it. You will never make it so that everyone can read them. (Side note, what is the language of Asia???)
Old 04-29-10, 12:28 PM   #10
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Because that country has stated that they are both offical languages of the country. We however are without an official laguage.

BassBoss,
I have to disagree with your logic on why not to do it. You will never make it so that everyone can read them. (Side note, what is the language of Asia???)

Asianese of course! hehehe....
Old 04-29-10, 01:13 PM   #11
WTL

The chinese speak several different languages, mandarin, cantoneese and about 4 others. (random useless fact)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is nothing racist about insisting that people learn the common language.

But to suggest that we are going to save money by eliminating the drivers tests for any language other than english is bad policy. It will lead to a very predictable outcome.

If a guy in the state of Alabama who only speaks spanish wants to get a license, but cant read the test, then he wont go to the DMV. He wont get insurance. He wont be on the map. And should he get into an accident, the incentive will be for him to drive away.

What a mess. And sad thing is, this guy james might not be the worst of the lot.
Old 04-29-10, 01:50 PM   #12
1/4 stick

yep, not having a license doesn't stop anybody from driving. Just look at all the people who get DUIs one right after another. All driving without a licinse gets you is another charge and fine added to whatever offense you're charged with if caught.

On asian language, wikipedia says...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Asia
Old 04-29-10, 05:12 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post

BassBoss,
Brain Fart!
Old 04-29-10, 05:43 PM   #14
WaffleJaw

Rosetta stone ''basic english'' should be given out with the citizenship test.
Old 04-29-10, 06:06 PM   #15
Jrob78

I've had the scene from Pulp Fiction in my head all day, "What ain't no country I've ever heard of before!" "Do they speak English in What?" "English !@#$ @!#%@#, do you speak it??!!!!"
Old 04-29-10, 06:19 PM   #16
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I've had the scene from Pulp Fiction in my head all day, "What ain't no country I've ever heard of before!" "Do they speak English in What?" "English !@#$ @!#%@#, do you speak it??!!!!"

One of the all time, best movie quotes right there!
Old 04-29-10, 09:05 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Rosetta stone ''basic english'' should be given out with the citizenship test.
waffle
the citizenship test could not be past by 25% of native born americans..and beside it cost $5k and 10 years before a mexican national can even get to take the naturaliztion test..after passing the test a naturalized citizen can/will be a deported for a dui..

however iffin ya don't know both porta rico and el salvador are territories of the US. both of which speak spanish both of which are consitered american citizens by immagration..

zooker
Old 04-29-10, 09:26 PM   #18
Bassboss

Just watch the video. I do not agree!
Old 04-29-10, 10:30 PM   #19
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
however iffin ya don't know both porta rico and el salvador are territories of the US. both of which speak spanish both of which are consitered american citizens by immagration..
Good to know....the next time I drive over to Puerto Rico, I'll know the traffic signs are in Spanish.

(I left out the drive to El Salvador, as it is a sovereign nation...they can speak whatever they want to there).

Frankly, I don't care why they learn English, just that they do. Speaking Spanish hasn't been the mark of a successful culture since 1588. Letting them continue to use Spanish as a primary language dooms them to mediocrity and failure.
Old 04-30-10, 09:12 AM   #20
Jrob78

Isn't making things easier on non-English speaking people just reinforcing a negative behavior? I mean the root of this is illegal immigration is it not? I would assume that people over here legally would be far more likely to try to learn English and fit in. Why are we making it easier for those who are here illegally? Last time I checked the word illegal meant something.

Take a look at what's going on in Arizona right now, it's completely absurd. I understand not wanting to profile and target a whole group of people but those here illegally shouldn't get a free pass either.

Interesting how the racial and civil rights climate in this country has shifted over the last 40 yrs.

Last edited by Jrob78; 04-30-10 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-30-10, 09:50 AM   #21
Bob Smith

Quote:
Isn't making things easier on non-English speaking people just reinforcing a negative behavior? I mean the root of this is illegal immigration is it not? I would assume that people over here legally would be far more likely to try to learn English and fit in. Why are we making it easier for those who are here illegally? Last time I checked the word illegal meant something.

Take a look at what's going on in Arizona right now, it's completely absurd. I understand not wanting to profile and target a whole group of people but those here illegally shouldn't get a free pass either.

Interesting how the racial and civil rights climate in this country has shifted over the last 40 yrs.
Perfect! I couldn't agree more!
Old 04-30-10, 09:54 AM   #22
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I lost a childhood, fishing and hunting buddy a couple of years ago to an illegal hitting him and then running. When they caught him though and wanted to charge him, he didn't want any part of the sentence. He wanted to be deported back to his home and tried in Mexico. He wanted to be over here so bad, but didn't want to pay the justice for his actions. I know this is a little off center, but the nation is like a sponge, but it is not squeezing any of the bad out and catering to the masses and their feelings. Wake up American...Pitts
Old 04-30-10, 09:56 AM   #23
WTL

Quote:

If it werent someone like Tim James, maybe my take would be less negative. The guy just wants power and says what he thinks people want to hear.

I agree that we shouldn't bend over backwards to accommodate illegals, but in this one instance of drivers tests, sticking to an english only standard really will cause more problems than its worth.
Old 04-30-10, 10:19 AM   #24
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
If it werent someone like Tim James, maybe my take would be less negative. The guy just wants power and says what he thinks people want to hear.

I agree that we shouldn't bend over backwards to accommodate illegals, but in this one instance of drivers tests, sticking to an english only standard really will cause more problems than its worth.
I hear you WTL, career politicians are all the same. You can tell by his add that Tim James is DB, all the long pauses and what not.

Illegals getting drivers licenses is really the least of our worries. I just hate seeing such opposition to the tightening of our borders and to the restriction of those who aren't supposed to be here in the first place.

Living in a border state like Texas all of this is magnified by 1000. If you were dropped off in parts of Dallas you would think you were in Mexico. The flow of narcotics through this city is astounding as well, guess where that comes from!?!
Old 04-30-10, 01:53 PM   #25
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sometimes not knowing English can lead to disaster.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.