Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-07, 02:05 PM   #1
stylgeo
BassFishin.Com Member

Default zooker was right!!!

Zooker once told me from a previous thread that when bass have trout as a main source of food, that means really HUGE bass! Well, he was right! And I learned it the hard way.

I just came from a couple of hours fishing at that lake I really like. The tip you guys gave me about slowing down my popper did miracles. On my first cast I caught a 2lb bass and then went on catching another 4 in the next 40 minutes.

Then at one point, I was standing on a big rock and I was slowly retrieving my popper. Then this huge shadow came underneath the popper, which was almost right under from where I was standing. The shadow stayed still about 1 meter below the surface. Then I did the slightest tick on the tip of my rod and a couple of ripples appeared around my popper. That was it, the shadow attacked. It was HUGE!!! Don't ask me for an estimate, I am no good at that, that's why I always carry a small scale with me. All I know is that it was pulling so hard that I couldn't gain an inch from the line it was taking. It practically took most of my line from the reel before it cut it, taking my popper with it!

I was so frustrated I thought of leaving at that instant! Then I thought reasonably and realised that it was the chance I've been waiting for, to try on some new bait. I tied an enormous crankbait I had with me, it was about 7 inches. On the first cast something took it! I thought "this is it, the fish of a lifetime". What was on the end of the line amazed me so much that I started laughing. Hooked on the big crankbait wasn't just one bass, but two small ones, about 1.5lb each. They both attacked the bait at the same time!

Anyway, I am going shopping on monday, buying a 30lb braid just to be on the safe side, and some poppers. They seem to do a decent job!
Old 09-15-07, 02:26 PM   #2
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Sounds like an awesome day! Haha 2 bass on one lure thats good. Definitely switch to braid, all that line hanging from the fishs mouth is never a good thing, but fish can usually shake trebles pretty easily so hopefully that monster has already gotten rid of it. But yeah get braid and you will land that monster next time! Make sure to use a polamor knot when tieing on a lure with braid.
Old 09-15-07, 02:54 PM   #3
brushhog

Congrats Stygeo, sounds like a great day.... and you don't even feel bad about losing the popper when you have excitement like that! I hope you've got a camera so you can get us some pictures when you land that hawg. listen to 02 on that palomar knot, it is a great knot and easy to tie. These guys here defintely know what they are talking about, I've learned a ton!
Old 09-15-07, 05:44 PM   #4
islandbass

Right on, Geo! Just remember that the reel's drag setting is just as important and the strength of line you are using. We need to let them run by making them pull the line out through the reel's drag to help them get tired faster, and if heavy cover is not around. When there is heavy cover, that is what more powerful rods are for. They can haul such fish out in a hurry. Played right, that hawg with a properly set reel and the right rod, could have been taken with as little as 4# test. It was hard for me to believe this until I saw 30# king salmon being landed with 4# test.

I guess you will be in the market for a more powerful rod and other gear. I sense the baitmonkey is strong in this one.

BTW, if you don't know who the bait monkey is, you will soon! Great story too! I felt your pain.

Old 09-15-07, 06:16 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
I sense the baitmonkey is strong in this one.
I think you are right!

Love the Team Bait Monkey!
Old 09-15-07, 07:11 PM   #6
stylgeo
BassFishin.Com Member

hehe, you are right about the bait monkey. He just wont leave me alone!

All in all it was a successful day, caught some decent fish, lost a more than decent one! At least I found out that the lake holds some really big bass! I just hope that it will spit the popper out of its mouth eventually! I caught a lot of carp with hooks in their mouths, I even caught a grouper once while spearfishing that had a spear on its back! I am sure that our hawg will figure something out!

"What? What's that bait monkey? What do you want now? Oh, no, no more tackle please.... don't!!! AAHHHH!!!"
Old 09-16-07, 11:19 AM   #7
islandbass

Come to think of it, the bait monkey might be strong in all of us! There is a small group of local bassers that are going to dedicate a lot of time on learning swimbait fishing and for some reason, I feel like I need to buy a swimbait specific rod. Please note that I am not part of this group and I don't even own one swimbait but for some reason a voice in my head is telling me to buy this type of rod.
Old 09-16-07, 12:22 PM   #8
zooker

don't ya just hate it when i am right?? lol...

zooker
Old 09-16-07, 02:11 PM   #9
1FASTLASER

Reading the posts you have made so far stylego actually takes me back to when I started bass fishing and the excitement I had when I caught my first bass.

And for those of you before you get started YES I CAN REMEBER THAT FAR BACK.

Anyways I sincerely do like hearing about someone getting "The Bass Fishing Bug". ITS JUST AWSOME. To this day I still get excited if its a little one or a bigun.
Old 09-16-07, 03:35 PM   #10
JB

laser,
I argree,
I can still remember the excitement bass fishing brought, when things started to "click'
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-07, 08:11 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Man, I wish things would just click for my... I lost 3 lures tonight due to
sh!tty snap swivels... I don't even know why I use em...

bb144
Old 09-16-07, 08:30 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Man, I wish things would just click for my... I lost 3 lures tonight due to
sh!tty snap swivels... I don't even know why I use em...

bb144
Don't ever use a snap swivel. If you are gonna use a quick release type connector, buy doulocks.

Lizards
Old 09-16-07, 08:32 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post

zooker

Nope it happens every now and again.

Awesome stylgeo. Glad you listen well, and pay attention. Keep bassing, and your gonna be tackle rich, and money poor rotflmao. Also keep a eye open for that popper. The bass will get rid of it, and it does float

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 09-17-07 at 08:09 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-07, 08:51 PM   #14
zooker

lizzy

don't make me get out a 1/4 lipless bait and give ya 25 lashes wid it..

zooker
Old 09-16-07, 10:27 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Quote:

zooker
Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.
Old 09-17-07, 07:44 AM   #16
stylgeo
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey guys!

Thanks again for all the advice! I know that every time I catch a big fish it will be just like the first one!

Searched high and low for some plastic worms but couldn't find any. A store told me that they were out, and the others i went simply didn't know what I was talking about! "Why should somebody need plastic worms when you can use live ones?" I am ordering some online

Anyway, finally got that braid! They only had the Rapala 16lb braid. As I was walking past the lures section, something jumped on my shoulder! It was the Bait Monkey and it started pulling my ear. I bought some more Rapalas and a couple of poppers by Dam to keep him happy!
Old 09-17-07, 08:41 AM   #17
JB

Maybe post your name an address on here and we can send ya some worms that you can't find over there, if the shipping isnt to much, we all carry about 60 pounds of plastics, some of us that is lol
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-07, 12:46 PM   #18
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Yeah I am getting some stuff together for him as well I just havnt gone to see how much it will be to ship it.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-07, 03:14 PM   #19
stylgeo
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys for everything! Your help is greatly appreciated and i don't know what i would do without your advice!

I guess shipping costs might be quite high! I am posting my name and address just in case! If you have a paypal account I'd like to pay if someone finds the time to send me something!

George Stylianou
4, Ayios Andronikos str.
Archangelos
Nicosia
Cyprus

Or if postage is cheaper the address in the UK where I'll be next month

George Stylianou
60 Lancaster Road
Opal Court C46E
Leicester
LE1 7HA
UK

I really appreciate all the interest shown by everyone here! Next time I go fishing I'm taking a camera with me to post the results from all your advice here!

Cheers

Last edited by stylgeo; 09-18-07 at 04:10 AM.
stylgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-07, 08:11 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
lizzy

don't make me get out a 1/4 lipless bait and give ya 25 lashes wid it..

zooker

Alright, whatever you say MR. ZOOKER I don't want any lashing with that thing, I still have nightmares

Lizards
Old 09-17-07, 08:15 PM   #21
1FASTLASER

Zooker being who he is would demolish a 1/4oz. bait in about 6 lashes.
Old 09-17-07, 08:17 PM   #22
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Maybe post your name an address on here and we can send ya some worms that you can't find over there, if the shipping isnt to much, we all carry about 60 pounds of plastics, some of us that is lol

Funny thing is I just told my boys that I was gonna slim down the 142lbs and 14ozs. of plastics I carry in a bag that is rated for 50lbs max.
Old 09-21-07, 07:25 AM   #23
airskank
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to airskank

wow... that's a ton of soft plastics. I wonder how many pounds are in one row at BPS? I can see how it accumulates quickly though, I make it a point to pick up one bag of Soft plastic anytime i go somewhere they sell it. Prolly cheaper than smoking
airskank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-07, 07:33 AM   #24
1FASTLASER

LOL @airskank

Outta her my boys when I tell them to load up the tackle bags we going fishing. LOL both of them holler "DANG DAD you need this many worms today" I will admit I carry WAY to many plastics but I have a hang up of being on the water and not having that "Special Color" they want that day.
Old 09-21-07, 11:24 PM   #25
ROBZILLA

I have a broken watch, and it's right twice a day! lolhe got lucky is all!

Luv ya Zookie

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.