Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-10-11, 10:49 AM   #51
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Boogie, from what I hear from WTL and read on the web, Elk River might be only a last resort (pun intended ). The majority of the smallmouth are more towards the dam than Elk River. I'm not sure how this event became a smallmouth fest, but I think a good number of us are focused on getting one (I know I am). 10 miles of boating to and from the dam might be prohibitive for some folks.
Old 01-10-11, 11:19 AM   #52
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yeah, I did the exact same pun telling here we might consider Elk River our "last resort", amazing great minds, well never mind. Still waiting for the call. From what I got form the first lady I spoke to, the cottages and cabins are NOT in the same area. I think I'm looking first at the cabins - little cheaper - so the group can stay relatively together. If pickings are slim, then a mix might be in order. Personally I don't lean towards the bunkhouse idea, sharing limited bathrooms space with 20 guys - makes my blood run cold.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 11:36 AM   #53
WTL

I mean elk river is good fishing. Its a locals spot, nobody comes from out of state to hit it, but its good largemouth, lots of wood cover. A little muddier most of the time which is why I think the smallmouth are less common there. I understand if you run waaay up it the smallmouth get more frequent, but you can't go very fast on it cause of log jams.

We really want the cabins if possible. I don't know much about the cottages except where they are, in the mouth of 1st creek, which is fine. It is on the other side of the river from the cabins, 1.5 mile by boat and like 7 miles by car...the cabins next to the dam road, 101, southern side of the lake.

Be sure to ask about a waiting list, cause we are still a long way out and people do cancel.
Old 01-10-11, 12:26 PM   #54
bassboogieman

Well Judy, the reservation lady, isn't comming in to work today due to the snow. She will call me tomorrow if the blizzard subsides. Oh, trying to get information for a large group is so much fun, snow in Alabama, still trying to visualize that one. So with imput from WTL the cottages and cabins are not in the same area. I will ask for cabins first, cottages 2nd and the last resort as the last resort.
IMPORTANT QUESTION - if a few cabins are available should I ask about reserving a block of them tomorrow when she calls? I can ask for maybe a 48 - 72 hour hold of several, if those wanting cabins can call and individually reserve a cabin from the block? I don't now it they'll do that, but I hate to reserve a cabin for myself and have the others get taken up before our group gets them. Guess the bottom line is how many cabins will we actually require? Likely about 5, if each sleeps up to 6. I will reserve one for my partner and myself, don't know what the rest of you want to do as far as how many want to share a cabin together. Two is fine for me, I'm sure others may want more-per-cabin to reduce individual costs. Still thinking 5 cabins should hold everyone in various configurations. Or 5 of the cottages if we have to move up to them due to availability.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-10-11 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 12:45 PM   #55
WTL

I think getting them to hold the cabins for a couple days wouldnt be a bad idea at all. We still arent quite certain on a number, but if we can get some cabins, 3 would be enough to squeeze into in a worst case scenario. They have a couple brick larger cabins that sleep more than 6.

In Judy's defense, I couldn't imagine someone trying to drive across the dam in the snow. When you drive on it you will understand, it was made for model Ts to cross, not 18 wheelers.
Old 01-10-11, 01:00 PM   #56
nofearengineer

Boogie...if you find out there are cabins available (my preference as well), let me know when you want to book one, and give me a call (I'll PM you my number). I will book one 10 minutes after you do.

I agree on not getting hung out to dry by yourself. We need as many people on here communicating soon about where they want to stay.

So is this going to be a "load/launch every day" affair? I loved having a covered slip at Dale, but I guess Wheeler doesn't have them.
Old 01-10-11, 01:03 PM   #57
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

So is this going to be a "load/launch every day" affair? I loved having a covered slip at Dale, but I guess Wheeler doesn't have them.
Yes, unless perhaps you can get a slip at fishermans resort. They have some, but they might be for trailer owners.
Old 01-10-11, 01:10 PM   #58
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think it may be best to see if they can reserve cabins for BF.com members like the lodge at Dale Hollow last year did. Probably since it's govt, but couldn't hurt to ask.

BB
Old 01-10-11, 01:18 PM   #59
bamabassman

ok............i got egg on my face billy. i was going by the internet as well. i did not think the great state of alabama would be so backward still. i humbly aplogize.

boogieman.........thank you for calling. please let us know what you find out. i too agree witht he trying to get them to hold as many as possible in the same general area. if at all possible i will try to call and explain what we are trying to do. maybe that will help our cause?

i must say this. WTL, BASSBOOFIEMAN..........you guys are the GREATEST! doing what you have done so far is awesum. and i thank you form my heart men.

i have this old arse computer and it is hard to log off and log to another site and try to get info through this thang. so thank you both for your help in this. i would be so lost if not for you guys. i was PANICKING last night for real, lol. pised off a little too.we NEED to have this happen, last year was so bad i want to start off this year on a good note. you guys have most likely saved this event and you deserve ALL the credit, not me.
i am thinkg of jsut letting you guys be the respnseable host. that way oyu get the credit like you deserve. that ok? i'll MC if you like. jsut let you be the host.

ok, enough of that. now.............lets get the list up on who is for sure IN.
me
wtl
bassboogieman and friend
nofearengineer
nobass
keithdog
bb144 and dad?
Old 01-10-11, 01:21 PM   #60
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

As of right now, count me and my dad in.

BB
Old 01-10-11, 01:28 PM   #61
bamabassman

Good bb!!!!!
Old 01-10-11, 01:29 PM   #62
bassboogieman

No problem from this direction, John. This is YOUR gig, I'm not trying to steal any little bit of it. And we don't have any difinitive answer on the availability of anything in the State Park yet, I'm certainly hopeful, but won't know until I hear from Judy.
'bama, I said previously, if there's anything I can do to help - well I'm happy to do it. HELP YOU, so consider me just a willing assistant, not in anyway looking to take anything away form you at the head of this gig. NO WAY PAL this is YOUR event!
Old 01-10-11, 01:32 PM   #63
WTL

Yea, same here John. This is your baby. As I said I will try to do what I can, I know Im in a little better position than others because I have stayed at this park around 13-14 times and know the area. I will be out of internet distance for the next month or so though, so John if you need something text me...drivin back to school today.
Old 01-10-11, 01:40 PM   #64
bamabassman

ok,ok guys. thank you so much though. it is jsut that you have doen so much in such a short period of time i feel like i am holding things up. but ya'l have gone above and beyond the call of duty guys. i will give you the credit anyway ya know, lol.
Old 01-10-11, 07:29 PM   #65
Gbassman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Count me in on saturday its a bout time I met some of the gang in person.
Old 01-10-11, 08:27 PM   #66
nobass

just let me know what is needed i cannot book cabin as no credit cards, long story but i will send whoever a money orderr for my share. anything eles needed i will be more than glad to help. alli hae been doing is thinking about this. may will be my one year anniv from cancer surgery. been rough jast two years, frist time i have been able to do anything like this
Old 01-10-11, 08:37 PM   #67
bamabassman

that is fantastic nobass. looking forward to seeing oyu my friend. and after we get things lined up we'll start getting the list ready. we'll get you in pal.
Old 01-10-11, 09:48 PM   #68
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
just let me know what is needed i cannot book cabin as no credit cards, long story but i will send whoever a money orderr for my share. anything eles needed i will be more than glad to help. alli hae been doing is thinking about this. may will be my one year anniv from cancer surgery. been rough jast two years, frist time i have been able to do anything like this
Wow....sounds like quite a tale, nobass. It will be great to meet and shoot the $hit.
Old 01-10-11, 11:28 PM   #69
keithdog

This is gonna be a darn good time if it all works out. It'll be great to meet a bunch of the guys in person. We should have name cards with both our names and user names that first day.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 12:42 AM   #70
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
We should have name cards with both our names and user names that first day.
Nawwww......if you do, it will take away the fun of trying to guess who everybody is. I thought it was great two years ago wandering into the Big Bear campground and cold-calling it. Maybe just a "bassfishin.com" name tag, so no one gets arrested for bothering a total stranger.
Old 01-11-11, 01:24 PM   #71
bassboogieman

GOOD NEWS, I think.

I have reserved 5 of the BRICK CABINS (so this group will all be together) at Joe Wheeler State Park, they all overlook the lake. The reservation is under my name and a group identifier. When you call to reserve a cabin PLEASE take one from my block. They are under HERBERT MOORE, BF.COM ALABAMA. What I had to do to secure these cabins was put them in my name under my credit card, not that I'm out any money yet, but I will also have to pay attnetion to what's going on with the bookings so I can cancel anything we won't need. I also reserved every thing for a week beginning May 15th to May 22nd. WE DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE EVERY CABIN FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK - so here's were it gets to the point of needing to know who is staying how long. The breakdown of what I have, based on the availabilty and keeping us together is as follows.

3 - 1 BR (with 1 bed) & 2 twins & sofa in LR. SLEEPS 4 max occupancy is 6
rate is 75.00/night Sun - Thurs, $80/night Fri & Sat. PER CABIN not per person.
All are available to reserve NOW.

1 - 2 BR (1 bed each) THIS ONE IS MINE, has either a 2nd bed in one BR or sofa. SO - I can take another person in the cabin if needed for a partial stay. I have this for the entire week. Rates on this one are the same as the 1 BR so any additional boarder in our room will pay 1/3 of the per night rate to me for whichever night(s) they will be there. And I don't need any advance notice or planning, but if someone wants this they must let me know so I can remove the availabily to someone else.

1 - 3 BR will sleep six, maximum occupancy is 8. I'm figuring this cabin for those that are only staying a few days at the end of the week as it's the most expensive and highest occupany, someone probably won't want to take the whole week and not utilize all the space. This one is $85 Sun - Thurs and $90 Fri & Sat. Not bad split 5 or 6 ways. Bad thing is someone will have to reserve this one, Say Thurs - Sat or Wed - Sat and fill in with other guys not staying longer.

If anyone wants to bring an air bed, that's an option rather than a sofa or cot.

So that's the deal - I AM IN, BOOKED, and can't wait for this to come off. WE HAVE OUR RESERVATIONS, so get planning, talking among yourselves as to who's comming for HOW LONG, and get a cabin reserved from my block. Reservations were handled by KELLY at the park, and she was VERY HELPFUL. Phone for the State Park 1-256-247-5466.

One person should book the cabin and when they have done so - post it here. Other guys can fill in to a booked cabin if thier days (and personality) match up to a reserved unit. It will be a little bit of trouble to keep everything straight, but I'll keep a list of who's booked what, and what matchups can be made. These 5 cabins should easily accomadate 20 - 22 people. If you have questions, you can IM me. If it's really an "involved" question, IM me and I send you my cell phone # and see if we can get it resolved.

I hope this works for everyone, I really couldn't think of anything else to do at this time to secure enough room and keep everyone together.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-11-11 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 01:49 PM   #72
bamabassman

FANTASTIC BOOGIEMAN. we just called and no answer. BUT lisa and i want a 1 bedroom cabin. hope that is ok guys. we love ya'll........but lisa don't wanna see ya'll in your "thongs", hahahahaha.
Old 01-11-11, 02:42 PM   #73
WTL

Great news, boogie...

I'm definitly in, I will book a cabin in maybe 2 weeks when my loans come in. Lets figure out who wants to room, ect so we can go ahead and book these up and let boogie cancel what we dont need if we dont need 1 or 2.

I will revist this thread in a couple hours, gotta run.
Old 01-11-11, 02:49 PM   #74
nofearengineer

Okay, guys...I just booked one of the 1-bedroom units. I will definitely have some room on one of the twins and the sofa in the living room if anyone is interested in splitting the costs for your stay. I booked the entire week from 5/15-5/22, so if you're planning on staying the whole time, I'll give that preference.

Thanks a lot, Boogie, for getting this rolling!!
Old 01-11-11, 03:08 PM   #75
bassboogieman

OK guys, I'm glad this is acceptable. Plenty of room, and we can adjust if need be. If any couples will be joining 'bama, and want to share - I can always bail from the two bedroom if we start having issues about SHARING. Bryce, if you check back here - I'll call you later this evening, I just got in to work and it's mayhem around here at the moment, we have an impending SNOW STORM enroute from ALABAMA - thanks John for send the white crap out way!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.